You have died... again. Dark Souls 2 announced

Vanilla DS2 they just dropped the key items into your inventory when you bought the DLCs. In SotFS, the one for Ivory King is in Drangleic Castle’s basement, pretty near the entrance, the one for Sunken King is behind a door in the Majula well you may need to have the laddersmith guy to reach and you definitely need to have gone all the way to the bottom of Black Gulch, and the one for Iron King is hidden away in Forest of Fallen Giants, in a very conspicuous place that you can nevertheless skip over entirely if you don’t like to stick your nose in where it does not belong.

The Crown of the Old Iron King area makes sense that it would be beyond the Iron Keep boss fight. The Crown of the Sunken King one makes sense being past Black Gulch when you see the (thankfully mild) poison theme of the DLC. The Ivory King one I guess makes sense vis-a-vis the shrine of winter, but that really seems sort of jammed in there edgewise.

I never played the DLC until I bought SOTFS.

With your reminder I do recall two of those key locations, but not the third. I don’t remember the Iron King one.

It’s in the pit with the salamanders right down the ladder from the Cardinal Tower bonfire in FoFG, way back in the back of the cave down there.

Man, Burnt Ivory King is once again sapping my will to live. I guess it’s a neat twist or whatever, but I seriously do not want to backtrack all over god’s white acre finding those fucking knights just to make the fight not a gigantic pain in the ass. I just wanna be done.

That said, I legitimately laughed when that white phantom pretended to be my buddy and then stabbed me in the back. Top drawer.

The second run is easier because you know where you are going, and they do add a couple small side trips. Plus there are new items to find what with the ice melting.

That phantom got me as well.

I don’t really need items at this point, aside from more petrified dragon bones, which they seem ill-inclined to give. That’s one thing that has always irked me about these games: they throw a ton of interesting-looking weapons at you, but ensure that you are never going to be able to make even a fraction of them truly “viable,” and often times they give you things you might have wanted to use very late game.

DS3 does pretty much have unending supplies after a certain very late point in the game. It doesn’t help much in that game but if you do a NG+ game you can literally level up anything. I don’t think either of the other games do that. Of course once you start the NG+ game all merchants are reset. But in DS3 the old lady in the shrine has pretty much unlimited everything, if you got the souls.

Wow, 64 hours and finished, although I never did get around to doing the Dark Chasms, and now I doubt I will (unless I decide to replay this someday, maybe).

What a journey. Best atmosphere/flavor in a From game since Demon’s Souls, in my opinion. A better sequel to DS than DS3 was, too. DS3 was the remix of that song you like, but DS2 was the sophomore album that didn’t suck.

Burnt Ivory King was a pain in the ass, though. Ugh, the gauntlet was tedious each time, and what’s more the stupid AI would never get around to sealing the final gate until the king himself came out and another add spawned, too. Nashandra was pretty much nothing, Aldia not much more. Victory laps all around. I loved it, actually.

And with that, my Fromsoft journey is concluded. Until next cycle, I guess.

Or I get around to playing Sekiro, which I cannot bring myself to think of as a “Souls” game, but whose medieval Japanese flavor I will surely find irresistible.

I hope the rumors of them doing a Demon’s Souls remake for PS4 are true. Then I’ll dive right into that once I’m done with Dark Souls 3.

Glad to see you enjoyed it despite the brutal DLC boss runs.

Sekiro is very good. Maybe take a short break first.

I am very skeptical. As you mentioned in the Demon’s Souls thread, “the soul still burns” is apparently a Soul Calibur reference. There is no burning of souls in Demon’s Souls, except maybe the Red Hot Demon Soul that you have to give Ed.

Well, I’ll definitely be taking a break until its price goes down some.

I also forgot to mention how I allllmost beat Burnt Ivory King a couple tries before I finally did, but in my moment of triumph, when he had maybe 5% health left…my rapier broke! Poking him with it after that only did 4 damage. I died fumbling in the menu trying to equip another weapon.

With certain weapons I found you had to keep a repair powder in your quick item slot.

How did you like Sir Alonne? Love the boss room.

Was a grand old fight in the classic souls tradition. Felt like I could have, if I’d spent enough time with him, learned his moves well enough to get that special animation I hear he does if you beat him without losing any health (a very cool touch that I couldn’t bring myself to grind out at that point in the game). I really like his design, and if the co-op mp was in any way active (and if there had been a bit more game left to go) I might have tried to go full Sir Alonne cosplay. Alas.

Bloodborne allows you to not only place a sign to be summoned to help, but also allows placing one that signals your desire for help, doesn’t it? God, the Souls games desperately need that.

As to the repair powder, I didn’t expect the thing to break when only used during a single boss fight! Stupid pre-fight gauntlet.

I’m surprised the Souls games don’t already have this. I always thought they did. (I didn’t play much multiplayer, so I’m not familiar with that side of the games).

Took me a minute to realize what you were saying there. That would be a great item to have. The Steam discussion page is full of guys asking for help with either individual bosses or just someone to play thru an entire area with. Does Bloodborne have invasions?

Another question. I know Bloodborne is PS3. Can you play it on a PS4 or is there a PS4 version out there?

Bloodborne is only on PS4 and the Playstation Now streaming service.

I…think so? I have not played it multiplayer, as I only just got PS+ to play MHW with my brothers. I am kinda itching to do BB again already, though…I actually already made a new character.

An article Scuzz and TimJames might cheer.

Dark Souls 2 is actually really good and, let me just brace for impact here, better than Dark Souls 1 in a lot of ways.

I love Dark Souls 2. It feels like it’s in its own quirky corner of the Dark Souls universe lore wise. It’s got all kinds of support for goofy viable builds. A lot of people didn’t like Adaptability, but I thought it was kind of cool that there was a stat that basically served to make bosses more forgiving. Put me in the pro-Dark Souls 2 column!

It was the one I played last and the one I think about the most. Best intro, best overall atmosphere. I like the sort of alien feel it has compared to DS1 and the “band coming out of retirement to play their greatest hits” feel of DS3 (which is still a fun and awesome game and I’ll totally play it again with @Rock8man @Chaplin).

Yes but it has more restrictions

By default it is isolated to completely optional areas (Nightmare Frontier and Chalice Dungeons) and it can be turned completely off by killing a certain enemy. (The Bell Ringer)

Otherwise you can only be invaded if you summon someone to help you in co-op (which also summons a Bell Ringer, if killed, stops invasions)