"You mean, all but your four fastest ships?"

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/16/white-house-plame-leak/

Ahahaaahaahaa. Fuck me for being an American.

H.

Sounds about right to me.

Not that this is necessarily proof that all the worst theories are true, but the party line was definitely “nothing improper happened.” Why investigate when nothing was wrong?

Great quote. :)

The white house was in a bit of a pickle, they knew who was leaking - Rove and the VPOTUS’s office - so if you start an investigation you’d come across as incompetent (heh) or covering up. To me this is like when your pulled over by a cop and you’ve been drinking, you refuse a breathalizer - better to leave some doubt.

Here’s an irony, if they had done an investigation they might have turned up Armitage’s name and could have put his head on the block (he was Powell’s guy, I doubt he’s a White House favorite).

It’s a worse day for Bush. Valerie Plame just testified that she was indeed covert and her status WAS classified at the time of the leak. Now I want to see what is going to happen next week in Congress.

Transcript here.

This is why Karl Rove needs to testify under oath.

What would he swear on? a bottle of chivas, a stack of taxpayer money and some soiled boys underpants wrapped around a greasey hoagie?

I don’t think the Bush administration was trying to punish her husband. They were trying to punish Valerie Plame…

I worked on behalf of the national security of our country, on behalf of the people of the United States until my name and true affiliation were exposed in the national media on July 14, 2003, after a leak by administration officials.

Today, I can tell this committee even more. In the run-up to the war with Iraq I worked in the counter proliferation division of the CIA – still as a covert officer whose affiliation with the CIA was classified.

I raced to discover solid intelligence for senior policymakers on Iraq’s presumed weapons of mass destruction programs.

While I helped to manage and run secret worldwide operations against this WMD target from CIA headquarters in Washington, I also traveled to foreign countries on secret missions to find vital intelligence.
…cut…

The tradecraft of intelligence is not a product of speculation.

I feel passionately as an intelligence professional about the creeping, insidious politicizing of our intelligence process.

All intelligence professionals are dedicated to the ideal that they would rather be fired on the spot than distort the facts to fit a political view – any political view or any ideology.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/16/plame.statement/

Someone wouldn’t tow the administration line, so they ruined her career.

That is an interesting theory - and the truth is there were intelligence professionals in CIA, DoD and State who were resisting the spin tooth and nail. They leaked to the press some of their concerns in articles by Walter Pincus in The Post, prewar. Later on, Bush sends in Porter Goss to purge the agency, in a remarkably Stalinist political move, of agents who aren’t sufficiently loyal to the party line. Later, of course, Goss has to step down before he gets tangled up in investigations about contractors and bribery - interestingly enough being pursued by one of the Federal Prosecutors who was fired by Justice (and the White House) for not being sufficiently loyal to the party line.

By Jove, I’m beginning to see a pattern!

Porter Goss and The CIA:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/05/AR2006050501738.html

On Cunningham Case connection to CIA:

http://www.harpers.org/sb-loss-of-goss-3025720.html

Early Story on Carol Lam’s firing:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011801880.html

what’s the quote from?

The quote is from the movie “the Princess Bride”, IIRC. Her name wasn’t leaked by VPOTUS’ office but by Wilson himself and Richard Armitage, anything but a White House ally.

Well thanks for clearing that up for us.

Are you seriously that gullible and desperate to believe you were right all along?

Seriously?

Damn. Sucks to be you.

Not so much. :)

In addition to Armitage, who seems to have let the name slip inadvertantly as he was trying to describe how screwed up the administration was, you had a coordinated effort to get her name out by Bushite true believers. This is astoundingly well documented by the trial of Scooter Libby. That’s the issue to my way of thinking. Why did they chose to handle the Wilson revelations by slandering him through back channels rather than taking his actual claims on in public? Did they not know, or not care, that Plame was covert CIA agent? Or, as Karen suggests, was the goal to shoot Plame down because she was heading up the CIA effort to find out about Saddam’s WMD capability? The last doesn’t seem to have much documentation to support it but it’s still intriguing.

Well well well…I was watching some of this on C-Span…sounds like they’re gearing up for some charges to be filed.
Too bad it’s too late.

You’re obviously not qualified to judge.