You seem like a good person, how are you a

Today I heard somebody say something along the lines of “You seem like a good person, how could you be a Republican?” I’ve heard exactly that phrase before, also.
I really hate that attitude. Is it a common thing?
Also, I’ve never heard the converse, “You seem like a good person, how could you be a Democrat?” Is that attitude just a Democratic thing, or is it because I live in liberal land Silicon Valley?

You know, you’re right. I’ve never heard a Republican call a Democrat a good person.

It’s a perfectly human reaction. It’s so common, so simple, I even caught myself doing it right as I posted this, and am now editing it to try and correct myself.

Nobody likes to be wrong, and everyone wants to believe that she’s good in her heart; it’s easier on our personalities to assume that those who disagree with us have ulterior motives or ignoble purpose.

Yes, you hear “Republican” used because you live in NorCal. Move to a place that’s predominantly Republican, and you’ll hear the reverse. Move to a place that’s predominantly Chinese, and you’ll hear it (and variations) about round-eyes. Move to the Bible Belt, and you’ll hear it about anyone who isn’t a Protestant Christian; move to Berkeley (or Tehran), and you’ll hear it about those who are.

It’s ubiquitous. It’s human nature. We’re just wired that way.

That and most Republicans are evil.

I kid. I kid because I love.

Although in those Republican-controlled areas, I believe they use the term, “Commiecrats.”

Could it be due to the fact that the core republician ideology is basically Evil?

Nah that can’t be the reason. I’m sure it’s just that those commies have their panties in a bunch, fuck them!

edit: damn it rimbo you beat me with the commies reference!

Nope.

Republicans are Lawful Neutral (some Lawful Good - they can be just as irritating as that whiny Paladin)

Democrats are all over the map, from Lawful Neutral to Chaotic Good.

Communists are Lawful Evil.

Libertarians are Chaotic Stupid.

I’ve never heard the converse. It’s because the Republicans don’t think the Democrats are evil, just misguided, soft-hearted pussies (insert relevant quote from Team America: World Police).

Whereas it’s pretty much a given to everyone outside the GOP (and I’m including the world population in this) that the Republican Party is evil. Maybe not Sauron-style, kill-everybody and grind them under your thumb evil, but certainly Saruman-style, rape-the-earth-because-we-have-no-choice, the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions evil.

It’s cool though - I respect their lifestyle choice, as long as it doesn’t affect me.

It would be interesting to catalogue the variations of this that occur when members of a local majority group want to say something positive about a member of a minority group. The two I’ve heard:
“You seem like a practical person, how could you be a Democrat?” – usually after I’ve stated support for military action, or speculated on the need to fund some bleeding-heart program I’m interested in.
“You seem like a rational person, how could you believe in spirituality?” – from hardcore scientific materialists who embrace logical positivism, usually without the ability to identify this belief system, much less see limitations of the philosophy.

Perhaps they’ve just never met anyone who seemed like a good person who also happened to be a Democrat?

I couldn’t help it.

Oooh, OK, I’ll bite. What are the limitations of logical positivism (from a pragmatic point of view)? I mean, aside from not having anything to do on Sunday except watch football?

I like to ask people:

You seem like a good person, why would you define yourself by a political ideology?

Damn, R., you’re a Republican? You seemed like a good person!

You know, Mr. McGriddle, I know you are joking, but I am going to pretend to take you seriously for a second. I’m not Republican, or anything else, but that really pisses me off, when applied to anybody.

Then again, Unicorn, you didn’t seem like one of those darn commies when I met you… I guess appearances can be deceiving.

I have to admit, it doesn’t piss me off. I think the principles openly held by the Republican party are so utterly objectionable that they obligate some form of censure from others. If a Klansman goes around town in full robes, I’m going to tell the fucker his dress makes him look fat.

That’s just because I wasn’t wearing my special hat.

I’ve never heard the converse. It’s because the Republicans don’t think the Democrats are evil, just misguided, soft-hearted pussies (insert relevant quote from Team America: World Police).

But I thought Democrats are also godless hedonists who want to force people to marry their dogs, and get their jollies by sucking babies out of wombs?

Well, that’s the Ann Coulter line anyway. Perhaps not indicative of the standard Republican attitude. (I agree that “Democrats are soft-headed wimps who pave the road to hell with good intentions” probably comes closer to the standard view.)

Cant we just all agree that people suck?

Wasn’t it Churchill who said “He who is not a liberal at 20 has no heart. He who is not a conservative at 40 has no brain.”?

I guess I have no brain. I make up for it with extra heart.

Congratulations on never listening to Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, then!

Wish I was so lucky.

Whereas it’s pretty much a given to everyone outside the GOP (and I’m including the world population in this) that the Republican Party is evil.

To be fair, if the GOP would stop selecting folks like Bush & Cheney for their leadership, it’d help a lot with this. There are rational people in the Republican Party: how come they never end up on top?

Ooooh, riiight. Never mind.

This helps me a lot in Zelda.