You'll never guess who drags down the gameplay in Alien: Isolation

This review confirms most of the misgivings I had when Alien Isolation was first announced. Running away from the same monster for 10+ hours sounds tedious, maybe the game is just too big for it's premise. I got a nice kick from the P.T. Silent Hills demo, the Alien property strikes me as something that might work better as a similarly contained experience.

Having played the game on the hardest difficulty, there were very few times where I had to reload a section numerous times from death. Also, by the time you get the flamethrower and use it properly, insta-death is infrequent. Definitely had a much better (and different) gaming experience than the one you unfortunately experienced... guess it's not for everyone

How can you complain about the save system???? Auto-save would ruin the game...

Yeah. The ambience and theme was recreated so perfectly. But then your starting to crouch behind desks and watch the Alien walk up and down a perfectly lit room. I had a feeling this wouldnt work and unfortunately, it didnt.

Not scary? I've never been so terrified of a game in all my 38 yrs [doesn't help that I saw Alien when 8, in a fever; and sent to bed just as the bastard revealed itself in the Narcissus]. I actually have to psyche myself up to play this..as the alien fills me with dread. Probably the worst sound in existence; is the sound it makes waiting for you to walk under a vent. You can hear the hollow echo of breathing down the kilometres of airshaft it'll drag you down, before glueing you to a wall-broken twisted bones and all, and turning you into an egg. So yeah, I agree that it would be turborad if someone could mod the alien out of the game-just so I can walk around and admire the fantastic setting! I should also add, that I absolutely loath insta-fail stealth games; but I love this game..because that's what an alien in a civilian setting is: an insta-fail death machine. If you use peak 'n lean liberally, never run, and use the motion tracker sparingly [which makes noise]; the stealth is actually quite generous-in your favour. The flamethrower is also a godsend. I'll also add, that to my mind the best fps-still-on console, is Far Cry 3; and it would be nothing without a competent stealth engine and peak 'n lean/context sensitive controls. So I disagree with Tom-I'd give this game something like a 9 out of ten..but I also fully understand; it's not for everyone-and would say as such in a disclaimer.

Tom chick basically just told u that his time is more valuable than yours in the nicest way possible. Zing

Not every review has to be to your liking and not every review is bad for that reason.

I'm actually ok with the review, it got the point across, what I'm not ok is the score. Which is 2/5, that's basically "The Game is bad".

But thank you for missing the point entirely.

Never said the review was bad, if you read my comment again you'll see that, but I guess Mister Chick has some fanboys in here.

sounds to me like you just sucked at the game, thats ok but it doesnt mean the game should be rated so poorly especially if its only due to your own limitations

if you value your time differently then try shooters and stop picking appart other slower games for what they ACTUALLY got right.

I already suspected your reading comprehension wasn't up to much, nor your grasp of irony. Now I know for sure!

Sorry that the game didn't work for you, Tom. I found the first few hours of the game to be perfect, but it started to get tedious past the halfway mark (I took about 22 hours to complete Alien: Isolation). Had the developers made it a shorter game, maybe around 7-9 hours to complete, I think it would have been a more succinct and overall better experience.

I'm genuinely curious to know what you felt about the critical mid-game plot twist when...

***SPOILERS***

... Ripley discovers the alien nest deep in the Sevastopol reactor. For the longest time, we were led to believe that there was only one Xenomorph on the station. The developers even specifically reinforced this fact during early previews of the game (now we know that they were lying). I felt that this cheapened the early parts of the game and all of the tension that you had to go through.

What was the point of Ripley going through all that effort to trap the Alien and flushing it out into space, when there was going to be fucking more of them anyway?

go suck my dick fucking manwhore

yeah of course hating on games without any reason because his mum is a cock-addicted crackwhore that sucks any penis for cheap...that's pretty well-reasoned.
can someone actually shut this stupid website down?

This game, though stealth oriented, is in the spirit of "Dark Souls." Save stations act as bonfires and it's brutally difficult. Any articulated frustrations with the AI expose this reviewer's shortcomings as a gamer. Some people aren't up to the challenge.

Folks seem rather defensive about this game's "emotional intent" or whatever. I think Tom's critique nails the basic problem with the instafail state quite well. It hurts even more in a game like this, where the constant repetition is combined with a massive price tag ($60 retail).

In short, you're getting a stealth sandbox that doesn't sound sandboxy enough to justify the experimentation needed to make the experience meaty. Bleah.

less talking, more fucking yourself.

You are the most pathetic game reviewer. You know that, right?

Shouldn't you be fucking yourself?