Young Justice

I can’t believe how crappy the Marvel productions are in comparison–witness Avengers.

My friends and I like Avengers: EMH much more than Young Justice though. The Timmverse rules, but we feel Young Justice is a misfire.

I meant in terms of animation quality alone.

Avengers is simplistic coloring book design with Saturday morning cartoon production values while Young Justice skews towards the anime OAV standard. Lines are crude in Avengers by comparison but the Iron Man VA does a good Downey Jr. impersonation.

Actually Bruce Timm has nothing to do with the show, according to IMDB at least. Two names I recognize on this are Greg Weisman (Gargoyles) and Sam Register (lots of DC direct to video movies).

Ah, yes, Young Justice does look very good. We just think the writing and characterization is lousy.

I know. I guess it would have been clearer to say “My friends and I are huge fans of the DC Animated series overseen by Bruce Timm. By comparison, Young Justice is weaksauce.”

Oooohhh, yes, then I agree. :-)

Anyone else see the premiere?

All the Red Arrow stuff was crazily overdramatic. The lines were bad and the delivery was worse. Crispin Freeman was trying too hard to channel Kevin Conroy and it just wasn’t working.

Also, back when the show started Didio insisted that the YJ continuity was part of the 52 post-Infinite Crisis Earths of DC’s multiverse. So. Where’s that put it in the new ‘streamlined’ continuity? (Yes, this is a silly question. I just like making fun of the new, simple DCU.)

Anyway. I’m glad this show is back, as not good as it is. At least this one didn’t have Robin making godawful wordplay jokes. Though it did sneak in a “HELLO MEGAN!” on us.

Wait … you mean it wasn’t cancelled?

I had watch only few episode of this show and i really liked it.

Is it really similar to Teen Titans? I didn’t think that quite clicked with me when I watched it.

It’s not similar to Teen Titans, it seemed to be made more in the style of Justice League, except bad.

k. I’ll just stick to Batman Brave and the Bold

I disagree that it’s Justice League, but bad.

It’s Justice League, but without the characters one usually loves. The Justice League, pretty much always had at least one of the “core” characters around, in an important role, advancing the storylines people were invested in.

Young Justice doesn’t have that. For me, it’s like a Justice League episode, but I don’t particularly care about the characters, or their need to prove they can be heroes. Given time and proper care, I could get to care about them, but not yet.

Ugh. The new one manages to be even worse.

I’m not sure why it was necessary to make every villain in Belle Reeve sound like a hillbilly. Southern Fried Riddler the Brick the Hick really pushed it over the line. My issues with Freeze’s depiction are a little nerdier in nature, but man if it wasn’t for the fact that I’d read Suicide Squad recently I’d say that was the worst Waller I’ve seen in quite a while.

Did Waller even do anything? I wasn’t paying much attention. I was waiting for some sort of Task Force X conspiracy, but all I got was some villains trying to make a jailbreak.

Okay. I donno. This show is actually growing on me.

Maybe it’s because I saw the two most recent episodes after watching an episode of the X-Men anime showing on G4. Holy fuck is that awful.

So I watched all of season 2 through “Before the Dawn” (the latest if Wikipedia is to be believed) this weekend. Reminds me a lot of what they did with Justice League/JLU…first they focus on a few characters, then open it up to a bunch more later. I’m digging pretty much everything with Young Justice, hope they keep this one around a while.

Young Justice is the next best thing to the great JL/JLU series. The stories are actually fairly adult much of the time. I love this show…

…which means it’s not going to last much longer.