Your 2022 Blast from the Past Game of the Year

Can I say - KUDOS.

I know it means nothing, but I really like the idea of going back and either Finishing a game, or just realizing the game is not for me, and writing it off. It’s a good feeling.

I’m not finishing it yet because I feel it’s gonna be a sad ending, and I’m just enjoying my time in it and all the crazy massive extra content. I almost went into the end ark by mistake while exploring, but phew, the game let me abort leisurely!
Also I have been playing the Switch almost exclusively in bed this winter, because of the cold, and playing that gorgeous game on the small screen is a crime.
And it’s not in my list here because that remake is way too recent ;)

I had seriously zero idea it was a joke. That title sounded so much like something the Chap-man would have enjoyed.

I won’t comment on whether or not the FFX ending is sad, but I will say that FFX-2 takes that ending and turns it into an excuse to let the player play as an idol band made up of FFX cast members on a quest to retcon it. Please insert the tears-while-laughing-emoji here.

To the thread topic, I think my oldest game played in 2022 probably was the FFX/X-2 remaster on Switch. But my most-played not-2022 game was Slice & Dice, which is 2021 and brilliant and wonderful and in desperate need of any kind of soundtrack whatsoever.

Fusion Frenzy is great :D

One of the better “party games” I’ve played; enjoyed across multiple generations.

I played so much Stars! that I decided to try & remake it but with a few changes, so I’ve been plugging away with Gamemaker.

Stars! is from 1995. Still holds up IMO, I just want a better AI and a few other small changes. So I’m hoping to have it be moddable where anyone can write an AI. It will take 1-2 years, but it’s been fun so far.

Prophets I wish Stars! had a better AI. It was clearly built with multiplayer in mind, but still.

For me it was Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (2002). I have strong memories of being alone on a plane for a semester in Germany, and getting engrossed on my GBA with the sequel (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword, though as the first to leave Japan, it was released with no subtitle in the west).

At some point last year, I was browsing phone games and lamenting how few I could find that fit my preferences (turn-based, completable, playable one-handed in portrait mode, no ads, no microtransactions). Thought about how I wished Fire Emblem Heroes was more like the GBA classics instead of being so focused on grind and gacha elements, and then had the epiphany that not only was there nothing stopping me from just playing them instead, but there was now a high quality fan translation for FE6, which I had never played.

So I did just that. And it was awesome. Fun tactics, readable at a glance, great spritework, and easy to drop in and out and play a bit whenever I had spare moments throughout the day.

Fallout 76 almost exclusively. It seems that it’s a completely different game from when it first was released. According to posts here and reviews. Really enjoying a new, for me, Fallout game.

I’m aghast, in all manners.

Wait, it’s good now. Sweet, I love a good redemption story

If occident/orient is the problem, play 1701 instead. It sounds like the game you actually want.

Yes, it took a few years but I’d say it’s a solid MMO now. If you like Fallout 3 and 4 you’ll like this.

According to Steam Replay, 23% of the games I played in 2022 were at least 8 years old

2023-01-27 09_14_45-sams's STEAM REPLAY 2022

Probably Morrowind was the oldest (and the best!)

I also got around to finally playing this on my PS5 in anticipation of getting Ragnarok. Another excellent game.

Closing off the year and powering into 2023 is The Witcher 3, which I am also giving a proper shake for the first time.

How does Morrowind run these days? Last I checked there were piles and piles of mods just to update the graphics, and that was at least 6 years ago.

What does it look like these days?

Like this!

j/k it still looks like a 20 year old game - but mods add a lot of QoL stuff like running at higher resolutions, quick looting, survival modes, better quests etc. Modding it is always half the fun to see what you can jam in there!

Just bought both dlc’s for XSX for 6.99 each. Now i have to jump back in to the game eventually.

Last year I replayed:
Dungeon Warfare 2
Gemcraft Chasing Shadows
Gemcraft Frostborn Wrath
Pandora First Contact
Super Robot Wars
Infinitode 2
Roller Coaster 2
Freelancer (First Time)
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Ancient Enemy

Fuck yeah.