Your favorite game and why you think it got canceled/died

That’s my plan too. As soon as I get some time away from my job and after hours consulting and family and…

A brief snippet of new Prey 2 footage, the first showing off the game’s updated UI, which was implemented after the Bethesda’s 2011 Utah event and E3 demonstrations:

Looking at that video, I was tempted to yell “WHO WANTS SOME WANG?”

Pretty much the same vibe as one of SW2’s tech levels.

Sorry to resurrect an old comment, but Paradox owns the Vampire IP now.

Anyone remember that Star Trek game, Secret of the Vulcan Fury?

What the hell happened there?

From Wikipedia:

Secret of Vulcan Fury was cancelled in February 1999, following the continued departure of staff and because of financial problems at Interplay.[8] During the production, three separate producers and the lead artist quit.[9] At the time the project was shut down, it was estimated that less than 5% of the game had been completed.[3] Lead engineer Thom Robertson later explained that the company had massively underestimated the cost of production, having expected to produce nearly seven hours of full motion video for 5% of the budget of a computer generated film such as Toy Story. They also had problems with the filming of the stop motion, as one three-day shoot was ruined when the director had red dots painted across the green screen in the hope that it would help with camera tracking. Further issues arose with the shoot as they had used a painted screen, which faded during the shoot causing problems in merging the video. Additional artists were then taken from other projects in order to mitigate those issues.[10] The graphics designed for a Vulcan character were later used by artist Scott Bieser as a basis for the Klingon captain Klunk for the video game Star Trek: New Worlds.[11]

I remember being pretty butt-sore about Dynamix’s Desert Fighters being cancelled, too.

Fuck you Gilman Louie and your disastrous Falcon 4.

huh? Falcon 4 killed the classic flightsim? I thought the rivet counters did that?

I don’t know who did it, but I’d love to smack whomever killed the ability of developers to make dynamic campaigns in flight simulators.

I thought it was the Millenials.

OMG I KNOW!!!

Preach it, brother.

Falcon 4 was a visible beacon to publishers that hardcore genre games could kill a publisher, and F4 killed Microprose. As for rivet counters, well, F4 was aimed at the rivet counters, and we can extrapolate from there.

After F4, no major publisher ever dared to release a full-scale sim again. Well, Ubi had Il-2 and Lock-On still in the pipeline, but they were a)the first wave of less-expensive Russian releases, and b)Guillemot stated they were “out of the nerd business” after that.

I always thought it had more to do with the fact that they began work on Champions, and didn’t want competition. Which should have been great. If they basically redid the graphics and added enemies and disadvantages with no play content…it would have been a COH beater! Instead…eh

Fuck yes.

Also, it was/is the rivet counters who’ve ruined sims. They drove awesome people like Andy Hollis and others out of the genre. I’m still angry at them all, fuckers, because of them now all we have are souless plane sims rather than engaging pilot sims.

I only played Falcon 4 years after it came out. Was it buggy when it was first released or something? Or did it just not sell as well as expected?

Buggy as fuck. Also, it’d been delayed so much it came out at a bad time, when people were moving away from sticks and toward gamepads.

More towards mouse and keyboard, I’d say. Sticks went away, mouse and keyboard were king, and then gamepads didn’t really come along in a meaningful way until the 360 controller for Windows, which came out in 2006. Falcon 4 came out in 1998, when the stick was fading for sure. Freespace 2 and other space sims had the same problem. I think if the 360 controller had come out in 1995, maybe the two genres wouldn’t have died.

What I mean by that is people were migrating to consoles, but yes, first person shooters also helped lure folks away from flight sims and such, surely.

Better computers killed flight sims. Falcon 4.0 was just the proof of the hopelessness of it all.
In the 90s you could make a sim game that had “top-of-the line graphics” that satisfied the casual and hard-core fan. Why?
Because you couldn’t make a realistic game - top of the line graphics were just the suggestions of the ground, with a pretty sky and some sun effects maybe. With the limited graphics and hardware, the hard-core sim fan would settle for what they could get - so you could get both groups. Also, because of the limited physics engine, these “sims” convinced a lot of casual players that they were more hard-core than they actually were.

Then PC power progressed to the point where people started to expect more photo-realistic environmental graphics - and now you have to throw more money at the game. Better physics engines meant that you could realistically model flight behavior better - so hard core fans started to demand that. So now you have two big costs that you didn’t use to previously - and in the end you can’t make both camps happy (casual and hardcore) without spending $$$.

Whats worse, the better physics and modelling revealed to a lot of “hard core” sim fans, that they had no idea how to actually pilot a plane, and they quietly slunk away after crashing the plane into the photo realistic ground for the 20th time… rather than settle for casual mode and admit their failure. That’s assuming they could even find the sequence of toggles required to even get the plane off the ground.

So now you have a game thats way more expensive, whose features that make one group happy actually are repellent to another… so why bother when you can make a shooter instead?

Fin.