Your favorite MCU movie

As a random aside, watching Logan without knowing anything about the X-men would be like watching the last 20 minutes of The Godfather or any other classic movie without watching the rest of it - it won’t have nearly as much resonance as it would if you were already invested in the characters.

On the flipside, watching the entirety of the X-Men series and then not watching Logan will leave you with the capacity to feel joy and hope.

Good lord I hate Logan.

Also, I miss playfully arguing with Christien about this :(

I’m gonna vote for Dark Kingdom just to piss everyone off.

I would posit that you can watch one MCU movie and determine if you’re game for the rest, and that’s The Avengers (also the best single movie in the franchise). If you don’t like action set-pieces punctuated by quippy dialogue, or if you balk at serious actors having conversations about tesseracts and helicarriers, or if you just can’t take the costumes seriously, then that’s okay! Just be glad you saw the definitive Marvel movie and walk away! It’s a totally valid preference.

I watched The Avengers, I really liked it, so they tricked me into watching Age of Ultron. What a big bore fest that was!

Oh God, yeah. A totally reasonable assumption, but exactly the wrong move.

So everyone is ignoring Endgame because it is Infinity War part 2 or is it not liked? I watched Infinity War (a bit bloated), but never got to Endgame.

I only really like the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but I enjoyed Winter Soldier too. But I couldn’t find that on the list so my third choice was Iron Man because why not.

Can I edit the poll item names without losing the votes? Return of the First Avenger is actually Winter Soldier …

It’s not what I would hold out as a free-standing story. It’s a wrap-up of IW and all of the movies that came before. It would be meaningless as a starter film.

The MCU movies don’t generally interest me but Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is my absolute favourite set in the Marvel world, even if it’s a Sony Pictures, uh, picture. It’s beautiful and so expressive but also funny and full of heart with some unexpected twists (assuming you know nothing going in). Animation feels like the right fit to me for superheroes (see The Incredibles).

I fell asleep during Civil War (at the theater), which never happens to me.

I would skip these:

Age of Ultron
Thor
Thor 2
Iron Man 2

The rest are watchable, even if some are just OK. Like the 1st Captain America - I would have to see it again, but except for the beginning showing the origin story, I thought the rest was pretty forgettable.

Had Ant- Man been separate entries, I may have voted for the first one - I thought the second wasn’t as good.

Black Panther was enjoyable, but I think it’s overrated. The last third of the film was weak.

I haven’t seen Iron Man 3 or Spider Man: Far From Home

Winter Soldier was fantastic. Probably my favorite of these films, followed by Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Age of Ultron was possibly my least favorite. Gods, it was awful. X-Men Dark Phoenix got slammed by the critics but I enjoyed that far more than Age of Ultron and **Thor.

I won’t endorse the movie as a whole, but it has a really nice scene at the end between T’challa and Zemo. Just a couple of really good actors doing some really good, quiet acting.

Infinity War is one of my favorites. Endgame doesn’t hold together nearly as well (but is still fun).

Thor Ragnarok is amazing.

I tried to hit a broad spectrum of movies. Sampling Guardians, Thor, the original Avengers, Iron Man amd Black Panther.

Infinity War and Endgame should not be separate entries, they really are a package deal. And I didn’t pick them because they really do need to have some familiarity with some characters. Like you don’t need to watch them all, but some at least. So on a list of 5, only the first Avengers really merits inclusion.

haha I watched those, who’s laughing now?

Now-Comes-the-Part-Laughter

I had to google “Return of the First Avenger” because I had no idea what that was. The First Avenger: Civil War also seems wrong, but at least I knew what that was.

I, too, had to look up “Return of the First Avenger”. It’s always interesting to see what movies are called in other regions/languages! Although Civil War is probably my favorite of the bunch, I’d have to agree that it’s not one I’d recommend to someone as a standalone film. It’s much better if you have the backstory from the previous movies.

I’d probably recommend the first Guardians movie to a newbie, as it holds it’s own even if you’re not a Marvel fanboy. I remember going into the theater not expecting much and being blown away.

I also loved Ragnarok. So silly, and so much fun!

I assumed “return of the First Avenger” was Winter Soldier. That is probably my favorite.