Your favorite movie(s) of 2011?

Mine is Hugo, which I saw today for the second time (my partner hadn’t seen it). You go in expecting one thing, and you get that thing for about the first half of the movie, and then it goes in a completely different - and enriching - direction.

Honorable mentions, in no particular order: Source Code; Bridesmaids; Crazy, Stupid, Love; The Adjustment Bureau; Ides of March; Super 8; Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop; Horrible Bosses; Harry Potter; Captain America; Our Idiot Brother; Moneyball; The Muppets and Arthur Christmas.

Yours?

Bridesmaids, The Muppets (just saw that today, wow), Harry Potter, Moneyball, The Ides of March, Drive, Super 8, 50/50, Adjustment Bureau, and probably a few more.

To be honest, I don’t get to see a lot of movies that aren’t available online. We just don’t have the cash.

I think The Tree of Life was the best movie I saw this year, but Tintin was the most fun.

I only saw a few movies this year, but my favorite was The Muppets.

Comedy - 30 Minutes or Less
Drama - War Horse

That’s actually about it for me, I didn’t get to see too many Movies this year. I’m also hard to please when it comes to Movies.

Margin Call. Take Shelter. Small Town Murder Songs.

Runners up: Drive. Ides of March. Martha Marcy May Marlene. The Skin I Live In.

Take Shelter, Shame, and Drive – three movies with great actors playing reticent characters who blow the fuck up.

Thanks for starting this thread jerri. I meant to start one earlier today but then got stuck looking after the kids all afternoon instead.

Anyway, here’s my top ten list. Come on folks, surely you’ve seen ten movies this year! Go remember what you’ve seen.

Caveats: I haven’t yet seen Take Shelter or Martha Marcey May Marlene, both of which I really want to see, but which never opened anywhere near me, and never made it onto DVD.

10. Moneyball
Good lord, another Aaron Sorkin drama featuring people arguing at each other across desks? Oddly, I thought this felt less talky and more dynamic than what I otherwise expected. Mainly I liked this movie for its pacing, which is lickety-split, and Brad Pitt’s performance, which is really soulful and charismatic.

9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I’m the last person who expected to put this movie on his top ten list. I’m not familiar with the originals, and I really wasn’t expecting much of this after having seen the trailer. But I was won over not so much by James Franko as by the long, mostly dialog-free, central portion of the movie which features Caesar the Ape learning to lead the ape rebellion. Great stuff. Nice work, Andy Serkis.

8. Bridesmaids
It’s funny! But it’s not just a series of gags. I love it in comedies when characters matter, but the plot doesn’t run out of steam in the third act. Also, Kristen Wiig.

7. Drive
The languid, wordless romantic scenes with the synthesized background music reminded me of Adrian Lyne’s eighties work, and Ryan Gosling is well inside his comfort zone. But I loved the shocking violence, the fun villains and the terrific direction, which elevated this from something relatively forgettable into much more than it could have been.

6. Midnight in Paris
OMG a good Woody Allen movie! I think the reason why this one works so well is you can sense the director’s love for the subject material in almost every scene. It’s like a dream for anyone who has ever experienced nostalgia for some long-lost golden age. Owen Wilson is the best Woody Allen stand-in, well, yet. And Marion Cotillard is so sexy and adorable, you’ll wonder why Christopher Nolan squandered what he had in Inception.

5. Margin Call
“Oh Jesus, you know I can’t fucking read these things, just speak to me in English”. That’s right, I’m saying that the third best thriller of the year is about the financial crisis. Actually, what’s great about this movie is you don’t need to know what a margin call or a derivative is; all you need to know you will get from the actors as their faces freeze up in fear when they hear dire news being read to them. I loved the way the movie progressed from one awesome actor to the next.

4. Carnage
I’m generally not a fan of movies adapted from plays where the entire thing takes place on one bottled set. I like it when the movie “opens up” the play. This was the film that changed my mind. Maybe it’s because the characters seem to be trying to escape from the set the entire time, or maybe it’s the way the camera moves to frame them so things never seem monotonous. And it’s not too long! It doesn’t outstay its welcome, the dialog is deliciously snappy and and I’d be hard-pressed to pick the “best” performance from this movie; they are all terrific.

3. Tree of Life
I’m as surprised as anyone that this film wound up so high on my list, but days after seeing it I was still thinking about it and I think that’s the sign of a great film. It made me think about my own life, and what I’ve been through, and I must have been in the right mood when I watched it because I didn’t find the “birth of the universe” scenes tedious at all. I also think this is the best performance Brad Pitt has ever given.

2. Hanna
It’s the first movie I can remember seeing in a long time which had both action, drama, science-fiction, comedy, spectacle, and beauty. Mostly I remember the feeling of watching this movie; kind of giddy excitement of seeing something you haven’t seen before. Is it a thriller? I guess. There are fantastic action set pieces, great twists, memorable performances. It’s hard to characterize Hanna which is one of the things I love about it. I actually liked it more after a second viewing.

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I’m a sucker for movies like this. The crisp direction and perfect period details reminded me of the Coen brothers, only with maybe a little more romance? I also tend to think of Gary Oldman as a bit of an over-actor so it was a real treat to see him give such an effective bottled-up performance. And I’m just a sucker for mysterious, labyrinthine plots featuring large casts of great actors, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised where this landed. I can’t wait to see it again.

I went over a full list of movies that came out this year, and I think I’ve been able to put my Top 10 in some semblance of order.

The Muppets
Trollhunter
Attack the Block
Hesher
Captain America
A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas
X Men: First Class
Hobo With A Shotgun
Super 8
Final Destination 5

As some caveat, there are some significant ones that are showing up on a lot of lists that I haven’t seen yet. Moneyball, The Ides of March, and Drive being three of them. I did see Bridesmaids, but it was without sound, with subtitles, on a bus ride. The woman one row up had it playing on her laptop, it was right in my field of vision, and I couldn’t help watching. It was ultimately not enjoyable or fulfilling in the slightest, and I don’t believe that counts as seeing it.

One cannot fairly evaluate Bridesmaids without hearing Melissa McCarthy’s character describing all her ideas for the bachelorette party, so no, it doesn’t count.

Absolutely loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Definitely one of my favorites of the year. Very stylish film, such fantastic visual style, and of course the sexy lead characters. Fincher delivered.

As is true of every year, I’ve yet to see a lot of the movies that came out this year that have been praised in one form or another. However, Drive is the only movie I’ve seen this year that not only didn’t disappoint me (basically everything sci-fi this year - and that incldues Attack the Block - was kind of a bummer), but exceeded my high expectations. I was practically giddy coming out of the theater it was so satisfying.

X-Men First Class
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Bridesmaids
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss N Boots
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Sherlock Holmes 2
Girl with a Dragon Tattoo
The Help
Our Idiot Brother

The two I probably enjoyed the most is pretty close between X-Men and Kung Fu Panda 2

Films like that are the reason I don’t even look at the cinema listings any more.

But I am looking forward to this year’s Iron Sky and Prometheus. I may well see those in a cinema rather than waiting six weeks for the dvd.

Ahh, you’re well on your way to becoming a beloved poster here.

Rango
Hanna
Thor
X-Men: First Class
Super 8
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Muppets
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
The Adventures of Tintin

There’s a lot of movies I haven’t seen yet but of what I have seen these are definitely my favorite.

I loved the 80s atmosphere Hobo With A Shotgun oozes out… Must be because of the synth based sountrack.

The technical aspects, the score, bold visual art style and the writing is really top notch.

Drive
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Attack the Block
Bridesmaids
I Saw the Devil
Melancholia
Black Death
Limitless
The Dead
Insidious

TV seemed to be the big winner this year, for once. American Horror Story, an unexpectedly resurgent Two and a Half Men, Homeland, Hell on Wheels, Person of Interest… Nothing in the theater really jumped to the top of that pack.

Trollhunter was 2011? That was a great movie.
Men Who Swim was a great doc, and so was Candyman : The David Klein Story