Your Name (Japanese anime film)

And Wolf Children!!! Same director than The Girl who Leap Through Time, but much better imho!

Exception: Grave of the Fireflies. @ArmandoPenblade should watch that one.

You’re an asshole 😗

I watched this last night on the recommendations here. A nice story. This has got to win the award for most frivolous use of time travel, right? Very charming.

I like this quite a bit, but to me it felt kind of insubstantial in the end? I just came back from seeing it, so my thoughts haven quite settled on it yet, but ultimately it boils down to a literalized red string of fate thing, albeit with a lot of charming surface detail. (As a speaker of bad Japanese and former Osaka resident, I’m always overjoyed to hear regional dialects. Also, I really liked time spent on the Kuchikamizake ritual, and the acknowledgement of how weird and awkward it was for Mitsuha.)

It is a hell of a gorgeous movie though.

I agree. I had that feeling too. The feeling kind of faded away later though, but when I first watched it, yeah, I agree I felt that as well. I need to watch it again to see if the feeling returns on a repeat viewing, and what the cause of it was.

I desperately want to see this, but it is not playing anywhere near me.

Same here, and knowing how things work in Brazil, I doubt it will make it to any movie theater at all. I just have to hope it will show up on Netflix or something.

Meanwhile I got this, but not Colossal or Lost City of Z. Super glad I saw Your Name., but theaters are dumb.

Solid meh.

SUPER excited for Mary And The Witch’s Flower, an animation from an ex-ghibli employee.

I finished Summer Wars. Boy howdy, what a strange movie. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I’d say it’s solidly mediocre and a waste of my time. It did make me wish that my parents had me when they were younger and that I had had kids when I was younger. It would be pretty cool to be part of a giant multigenerational family like the one in this movie.

Ooh I had no idea lost city of z in was out. Loved the book.

ah too bad, a chacun son gout. i really enjoyed its frantic quirkiness and hacking stuff.

Did Your Name ever make it to a threatre in Brazil?

It’s actually airing in a selected few theaters in São Paulo right now. I’m trying to find out if the movie will be shown in theaters in my city, but had no luck so far. Here’s hope!

This film finally popped up in the cinema here for a 2 day run! I really don’t understand why its not getting a propper full release and is trickling out in drips and drabs over more than a year.

Anyway, really enjoyed it! Great film and nice ‘twist’ beyond the familiar freaky friday plot.

And sooo beautiful! Really makes you sad that the english animated world is basically only CG these days.

Film Crit Hulk reviewed the movie. I’m not all the way through it yet, but it will make for some nice weekend reading.

I need to track down this movie again and see it a second time.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ani-me-2-on-love-41400232

Thanks for posting that, @Rock8man. It’s a bit hard to read as this writer really needs an editor to fix missing words help the flow of some of the sentences.

Yeah, good read! Thanks!

Really love this movie.