Your pre-release wall of shame

Only other pre-release / kickstarted games I’ve bought after I made this list were:
Factorio
BATTLETECH
For The King
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander
Underworld Ascendant
Shadowrun: Hong Kong RELEASED! and on STEAM!
That Which Sleeps
Ray’s the Dead
Pathologic
Subnautica on STEAM!

I have Ray’s the Dead on my Steam wishlist. Is it still not out?

Nope, but they did put an update on kickstarter earlier this month:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ragtag/rays-the-dead-0/posts/1483959

Progress Update

Though a couple of weeks later than we’d hoped, today we complete our alpha pass of Chapter 4!

Though super rough, this means 80% of Ray’s the Dead is fully intact and playable. This is a very exciting milestone for us! Our next major milestone has us tackling the final chapter of the game, along with a revisit to the intro to the game. The goal is to have this complete during the month of April. Wish us luck!

I’ve backed 17 Kickstarters (and 0 Early Access/Fig/Indiegogos), of which 12 are videogames. Of those, 5 have launched (Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeon, Satellite Reign, Broken Age and Planetary Annihilation). Of the other 7, only Torment: Tides of Numera seems likely (90%+ chance) of releasing in 2016.

Which sucks, cuz I’d love to play The Mandate, That Which Sleeps, Halcyon 6, The Bard’s Tale (damn, lordkosc and I overlap a lot!), Underworld Ascendant, and Star Citizen! Maybe I might even get to, someday :)

I missed this thread when it first came out, but here’s my list

Darkest Dungeon - No regrets about going early-access on this one. I played dozens of hours before release. Now that it’s released, I am slowly making my way through it.

Offworld Trading Company - Eh. I played a few hours but it hasn’t grabbed me yet. We’ll see if it gets better over time.

Starbase DF9 - I actually got my money’s worth out of this thing and they DID add enough new stuff to it over the months that I would drop in, play a few hours and enjoy what was there. I’m disappointed it won’t ever be what was promised though.

Starbound - Again, I reckon I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of the game… I’ve certainly played a lot of hours. I’m not sure if I’ve burned myself out of the game before release or not. Honestly… I was under the impression it was live now.

Defense Grid 2 - DG and DG2 are a couple of my all-time favorite games and DG2 actually got better after release, so I count this as a win.

Kerbal Space Program - I’m going to get more than 5 minutes into this game someday, I swear it.

Prison Architect - I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did.

Mordheim, City of the Damned - I was wary of picking this up EA, but I’m glad I did. I wish I could get more of my buddies to like this game.

Star Citizen - I have faith.

Fractured Space - A friend convinced me to get this, and we could never get it to work on-line. I shoudl check it out again and see where it is.

@lordkosc: how is Subnautica http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/ not on your list? You’re doing it wrong!

I did get Subnautica during the winter sale, and then totally forgot I bought it! :p Re-updated my list!

Looks like I have quite a few games I purchased in Early Access myself. Some time back I created an Early Access category and moved all the EA stuff into it, and then kind of forgot about it until this thread.

Caves of Quid - I forgot I had this, it’s very cool and I can’t wait for it to be finished so I can dive in!
Clockwork Empires - Every once in awhile I try this out, it’s never an experience I can say I enjoy, and I don’t really know why.
Dark Forester - What is this even? How do I have it?
Don’t Starve (Shipwrecked) - This was really fun, can’t wait for final release.
Don’t Starve Together - At two separate times I thought this was out of early access. It’s STILL not. WTF.
Godus - Yeah. Probably not.
Grim Dawn - I got a lot of fun out of this very recently, then played Diablo III and realized how much better Diablo III is. Sad face. Still, I’m eager to complete it and it’s worth playing as a different experience, even if it’s not quite as good as Diablo III it has it’s moments and it’s worth checking out.
Offworld Trading Company - I played this a bit when it first came out, and I really liked what I saw.
Vagante - This is so awesome! I put way too much time in considering it’s early build, and I’m excited to say this could be my new “Spelunky” after it’s fully released. Very excited for this one.

Some games I did buy in early access I won’t get into here, since they actually came out and I played them in full (it’s kind of rare though, I don’t buy a lot of EA games and only a few like Darkest Dungeon and Pillars of Eternity are actually out so far). I’ll probably pick up Ashes of a Singularity and Torment at some point while they are in EA, too, now I think of it. Maybe Master of Orion, who knows.

EDIT - I see Tin mentioned Prison Architect and I have to say, I would have written the exact same thing.
"Prison Architect - I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did."

The worst case I have is actually a board game I bought on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/fairytale-games-the-battle-royale/comments The games are sitting in the warehouse and the seller doesn’t have the money to ship them. He is broke. That’s $80 down the drain.

Board games on Kickstarter really are the worst. I’ve had enough bad run-ins such that at this point I’m not interested in a board game there unless it’s by an established publisher who’s successfully shipped a Kickstarter project in the past. (Which feels like it defeats the purpose of Kickstarter. I’m sure the established publishers would be putting out the same game if Kickstarter wasn’t a thing.)

My wall of shame has greatly decreased over the last 2 years, this is what I am still waiting on:

On Steam:
BATTLETECH (soon!)
For The King (soon!)
InSomnia: The Ark (soon!)
Underworld Ascendant (soon!)
Pillars 2 (soon!)

Not on Steam:
Starsector (Starfarer)
Star Citizen (hahahahahahahaha)

Kickstarted, no game yet:
Limit Theory
Asylum
Witchmarsh
That Which Sleeps
Ray’s the Dead
Pathologic 2
Beautiful Desolation

Only 2 left for me:

Kickstarted Jon Shafer’s At the Gates
Starfarer

Of these, Halycon 6 exists now and is AWESOME. Most of the rest are dead or dying, though I remain hopeful for Underworld and Bard’s Tale.

Also @wumpus man the converter did not like my post up there.

Yeah I removed a few games, such as The Mandate, that are DEAD.

Prismata (early access but I think the game is really solid at this point)
At the Gates
Phoenix Point
Bard’s Tale 4 (but I got Wasteland 2 with it)

Was going to add Flash Point Fire Rescue - but it just saw an email that it came out on Steam.

Phoenix Point.

Bard’s Tale 4
AI Wars 2
At the Gates
Stonehearth
Starfarer
Cubeworld

I have quite a few, from the days @amandachen was digging gold from itch.io, like Gladiabots or Depth of Extinction (that last one has been very playable for a year, and is due to release on Steam not too far-ish).

The one I have been excited for years like a crazy kid is the Outer Wilds. They are showing it at GDC, supposedly!
And everybody’s Starsector, Cogmind…

Had I known about it, I probably would have went behind Underworld Ascendant. Not a wall of shame, one of regrets, here!

I bought this on Steam and occasionally play it when I’m in a gaming mood on my PC, never realized it was still early access. Doesn’t play like an early access game to me, so I guess I had my blinders on.

Yeeeeaah I’d hardly say Cogmind classifies as a ‘wall of shame’ game. It’s practically done. Might as well say the same about Rimworld! :P

We’re talking about things yet to be released, or in an unfinished shambles of a state.