Your pre-release wall of shame

Sovereignty: Crown of Kings
StarDrive 2. (Does this count? I was warned)

Updated my list again.

On Steam:
InSomnia: The Ark (soon!)
Underworld Ascendant (soon!)

Not on Steam:
Starsector (Starfarer)
Star Citizen (hahahahahahahaha)

Kickstarted, no game yet:
Limit Theory
Asylum
Witchmarsh
That Which Sleeps
Ray’s the Dead
Pathologic 2
Beautiful Desolation
Darkside Detective Season 2
Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG

Hmmm:

Released Product

1. (03/2012) Broken Age - Classic PC adventure game. Came out to middling response after tortured, financially devastating development hell.
  2. (09/2012) Planetary Annihilation - RTS computer game. Came out, got a psuedo expansion, and has now been spun out to a new dev studio from the ashes of the old one after their next Kickstarter flopped
  3. (10/2012) Pillars of Eternity - Classic computer RPG. Came out, got a 2-part x-pack, then a Fig’ed sequel that is also already out!
  4. (04/2013) Torment: Tides of Numenera - Classic computer RPG. Came out to lackluster response, floundering?
  5. (03/2014) Darkest Dungeon - Spooky PC RPG. Came out a resounding success, lots of post release support.
  6. (07/2014) Reading Rainbow - Goal to bring RR-style content to classrooms. Produced a subscription website. Huge legal dispute cost them the RR name. It still exists. Don’t know any teachers using it (I know a lot of teachers).
  7. (03/2015) Heart Piece Podcast - Geeky relationship-focused podcast from close friend. Produced a few dozen great episodes, on hiatus.
  8. (04/2015) Bulldogs! Fate Core Edition - Space opera tabletop RPG. Came out and was awesome, along with about 90% of the extras. One bonus sourcebook still in production.
  9. (04/2015) Halycon 6: Starbase Commander - Classic scifi strategy adventure PC game. Came out, got a redux version, and developers next game is ticking along well.
  10. (12/2015) Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Reboot of classic scifi comedy TV series. Came out with an awesome season on Netflix, did two nationwide tours with the cast, and are finishing production on Season 2.
  11. (04/2017) Pillars of Eternity II - Came out pretty much on time to good reviews, already has had one major DLC.

Under Development

1. (03/2015) - Underworld Ascendant - Classic PC RPG. Still under work, but theoretically close to release!
  2. (07/2015) - The Bard’s Tale IV - Classic PC RPG. Still under work, but consistent-ish updates.
  3. (07/2017) - Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Classic PC RPG based on successful tabletop property. Coming out in like 2 weeks, beta was well received.
  4. (03/2018) - Fate Dice and Fate Points - Accessories for tabletop RPG product. In preproduction phase in China.
  5. (04/2018) - A Dead Man’s Guide to Dragongrim - Setting guide for D&D 5E tabletop RPG. Currently being written. No real gauge of likelihood of success, but good updates.
  6. (04/2018) - HEXplore It: Forests of Adrimon - Theoretically beginning physical production this month. Previous updates suggest this will occur.

Failed

1. (11/2012) Star Citizen - Grand space sim videogame. LOL this one’s here just for you @dsmart
  2. (06/2013) Conquest of the Universe - A Pathfinder RPG scifi/space opera supplement. Since the release of Starfinder, this is essentially pointless. The dev sometimes pretends he is working on it, about once every six months or so. Since he earned all of about $3K on it, I am positive that is not true.
  3. (12/2013) The Mandate - An ambitious space opera PC game that grew too large and collapsed under its own weight in a catastrophic manner.
  4. (10/2014) That Which Sleeps - Ambitious PC strategy game. Schism in developer turned into drama. Giant nothingburger. No real game ever existed.

21 projects total. 4 outright failures, 6 still going (none of which I’m especially worried about). Not too bad, all things considered!

That was a very entertaining (and educative, if you don’t know anything about anything like me) read.

Yeah, thanks for the detailed post @ArmandoPenblade. Especially in a list thread. You went above and beyond for our reading pleasure and we appreciate it.

Happy to be of service, gents :)

Now, the real question is: how many of these products have I actually used/seen/played? :(

That’s a discussion for the backlog threads. We don’t need any of that in here!

It does? Wow, you must actually read those updates!

I’m not familiar with the classic games, so I’m not sure why I backed this one. It must have been Qt3 peer pressure. Or it must be turn-based. I’m a sucker for supporting turn-based combat in an RPG.

Nope! I thought Kingmaker was my only upcoming release I’m definitely not going to play before Christmas. Huzzah, though :)

Excellent! The next step in my master plan is to stop supporting Real Time with Pause games. Hopefully I’ll remember that and Pillars of Eternity 2 will be the last RTwP game I’ll ever own/back.

Wow, my list from 2014 is amusing. Only 2 real gems from a list of 36ish:
Craft the World
Rim World

A handful of decent games:
Age of Decadence,
War for the Overworld
Starbound
Steam Bandits
Clockwork Empires

And the rest, just not great, didn’t grab me, or out-right failed projects.

My current list shows I haven’t learned my lesson completely, but have gotten a little choosier:
Project Zomboid
Stranded Deep**
Besiege
Maia
The Withering
Rogue Harvest
Rise to Ruins
Shasher’s Keep
Quest Hunter
Low Magic Age
Shards of Azuria
Oxygen Not Included
Signs of Life
They are Billions**
My Time at Portia
Book of Demons**
Shoppe Keep 2
Raft**
Slay the Spire
It Lurks Below

** - these are games that are already very good, and I feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth during EA. Will only get better.

Slay the Spire is the best (deckbuilding) game on PC at the moment.

BDIV is out. I got my Steam key yesterday! :)

Yep! If I’d just waited an extra week before posting, I coulda had an even better success percentage, damn :)

And Kingmaker is apprently out next week, which will leave me with just 4 projects out of 21 under development, and the 4 failures. Some people might say it’s 5 under development, but we both know that’s what happening with Star Citizen isn’t actually meaningfully advancing us to the point where a real game exists. . .

Star Citizen is never - ever - going to be a “game” of any kind. Like ever.

Older I become, it seems the more pre-order/early access self control I have.

Here is what’s still pending:

On Steam:
Godhood (Early Access)
Subnautica Below Zero (Early Access)
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (SOON)

Not on Steam:
Starsector (Starfarer) maybe 2021?
Star Citizen … sigh.

Kickstarted, no game yet:
Asylum
Witchmarsh
Ray’s the Dead
Beautiful Desolation
Darkside Detective Season 2
Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG

My list back in 2014 was most impressive.

I almost never partake in preorders or kickstarters. Only one I’ve done in over a year is current;

On Steam:
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (8/6/19)

Only reason I went for that was for a good deal and knowing I’d buy the game, regardless.

Yep, I forgot I pre-orded that before the Steam sale.

I’ve cut right back too. The only pre-order I have atm is Fire Emblem: Three Houses on Switch.

The only Early Access games are legacy that will probably never leave cough7 Days to Diecough. I avoided early access nearly all together this year.

I do have a few boardgames on the list, but I recently managed to avoid adding even more so progression on that front too!

Most of my list has either come out, or been removed (dead). My current list has 19 games that I feel confident will all launch successfully!

Stranded Deep
Rise to Ruins
Slasher’s Keep
Low Magic Age
Signs of Life
Raft
Foundation
Aground
Satisfactory
Factory Town
Factorio
Project Zomboid