Your smartphone history and reasons you replaced your old phone

You don’t browse the web on your phone?

Not on my phone much, outside of loading Qt3 every now and then or a couple of economic analysis sites. It is mostly for listening to podcasts. I also don’t play games on it. Phones are verboten at work, not needed for much web activity when I’m outside, and I tend to put them away at home.

I can’t tell a speed difference b/w my old Z Play and my Note 8, but I like all the automated smart features of the Note. It logs my runs without me having to click on an app.

I suspect I’m an outlier as far as phone use goes, in spite of my young age. :)

Just not worth it. There’s a single 845 device for sale here, the Sony XZ2. It has a slightly dodgy software story, 25% smaller battery, and no 3.5mm headphone jack. So it’d be an extra $250 for a better SOC and camera, neither of which I need, while regressing on the areas I actually care about.

I’m still on a Snapdragon 801. And really haven’t needed more yet.

Snapdragons grow in power as they age.

I LOL’ed 🐉

At least the 835 (aka iPhone 6-ish performance), @jsnell? The 845 gets to iPhone6s-ish perf which is enough for me to call it “pretty decent” at long last. Will take years to filter through the market though.

The difference from 835 to 660 is pretty small on the CPU side (they both use the A73-based Kryo cores). They cut the cache to half and reduced the clock speed by 10%, which isn’t a big deal.

Again the constraint is the software. Most 835 phones run various kinds of mutilated versions of Android, which is an automatic deal-breaker. AFAIK the only stock Android devices that use an 835 are the Pixel 2 and the Nokia 8 Sirocco. Both would have been a $350-$400 premium over the 7 plus; not a good deal for a 10% speedup.

Hmm. Geek bench 4 single core sez:

1588 for the Snapdragon 660, 1832 for the Snapdragon 835, and 1438 for the Snapdragon 653

I guess that’s pretty close, what helps here is that perf barely changed at all between 810, 820, and 835. The 845 bucked this trend by being a fair bit faster.

It should be a bit higher than that. The median for this phone model is around 1640 (determined by sorting by score, going to the middle of the page list).

Came across a few old bills and figured I’d provide more update of my post up thread! I do enjoy keeping documentation of things. Glad I kept this thread bookmarked.

2001 - 2007
I used TracFone , had a top of the line Nokia 5165. Eventually got tired of pre-paid and the pos phone.
2007 :
Motorola PEBL , love the feel of the flip and its magnetic closure. $ 133.06
2011 :
LG Optimus V - LGVM670 (Android 2.2) was crap, I remember wanting a RAZR but couldn’t afford it. Was so slow, sooooo slow. But it had apps and worked for the most part. $177.99
2013 :
LG Optimus Elite (Android 2.3.7) I remember it had double the memory, and it was less crap, I bought it at Radio Shack! The last purchase I ever made at a Radio Shack. Bluetooth went to shit. $49.99 (was a clearance item!)
2016 :
LG Nexus 5x (Android 6/7/8) good phone! Project Fi as a carrier, still works today (I used it as a smart home remote for lights and Alexa and stuff.) $263.94
2018 :
Google Pixel 3 (Android 9/10/11/12) best phone I’ve ever owned, but did have battery issues that creeped in over time (<1 day of power) resolved with the arrival of Android 12. $634.94 (came with $200 fi credit). Used it with Fi until my recent switch to MINT.
2021-2022:
Pixel 6 looks nice, but I am thinking maybe I’ll wait and see what the 6a looks like in the summer.

Mine is simple:

• LG G3. Used it until it completely died (just ceased to come on).
  • Moto Z2 Play. Used it unit it completely died (battery expansion).
  • Galaxy Note 9. Will use it until it completely dies.

There is absolutely nothing I do with my phone that requires anything more than the Note9, so hoping it lasts a while. The only upgrade to the Note9 would be a Note9 flat-screen version.

iPhone 3G
LG Optimus
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S x2
iPhone 5
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone 12 Pro
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3 or was it 5?
Moto G
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 4
Nexus 5 (black then Neon Orange, I loved that colour!)
Nexus 6P
Nexus 7
Pixel 2 (end of my Android experiment)
Lumia 710 (not 100% sure, might have been 600-series)
Lumia 510
Lumia 720 (not 100% sure)
BlackBerry Z10

Blackberry Bold
Motorola Droid
iPhone 4
iPhone 6
iPhone 8
(Whatever the annual iPhone release is after that)

The reason is always for something new and shiny.

Damn, I only replace my phone every 2 or 3 years.

The first smartphone was probably one of those old Palm Treo in 2007, and then 2012, the Kyrocera Echo.

And then Huwai and Motorola midrange phones ever since. This year I am holding on to my Motorola G(7) still, and might keep it a third year.

I might replace it some time next year, but it works, and not replacing it seems like a good option because it’s just a phone. Why not spend the money on something else that might make me happy?

Don’t get me started on my wasteful Palm/CLIE/MiniDisc/pre-smartphone waste of money :(

We should all be like you. Get something good, and just use it as long as possible.

I did have an LG 2 for 2 years.

Hopefully some of them were trade in deals. Thats a lotta money.

I am on a plan, so while technically I am buying a new phone every year, it’s more like a lease. It costs me like $100 to get the new phone and my monthly payment usually stays the same.

Starting from 2000:

• A Panasonic that was passed down from my parents. Had the strongest vibrate I’ve ever seen.
  • Nokia 5510
  • Motorola V525
  • Motorola L7
  • Nokia Navigator 6110
  • Nokia E72
  • Samsung Galaxy S
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
  • Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Samsung Galaxy S9
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e which I will use until it dies or a decent phone with HPJ, dedicated fingerprint, SD slot, and non-huge screen becomes available.

All the smartphones from Samsung on have had extended lives; the S and S7 upload solar usage data from my inverter, the S3, Z3C, and S9 were all sold or donated to someone.

Most upgrades were for speed or storage: current phone is fine, but there is always that desire for something new.

I can’t imagine anyone cares, but my full history as I remember it:

1999 Nokia 5190
2002 Nokia 3310
2005 Moto RAZR
2008 iPhone 3G
2010 iPhone 4
2012 iPhone 5
2014 iPhone 6+
2015 iPhone 6s+
2017 iPhone X
2018 iPhone XS Max
2020 iPhone 12 Pro Max