Your Top 100 Games Challenge

OK new list. One funny thing I never noticed, I had a typo in the original list! I put in Red Dead Revolver instead of Red Dead Redemption. Can’t believe nobody called me on that! Fixed this time around.

Also, going back through the list, it feels very arbitrary to me. I was basically throwing in my top games without a lot of thought as to whether a game in the 20 spot was that much better than a game in the 30 spot, but I probably just got bored and eventually just said to hell with it. So, with a few changes and a little rejiggering of positions, here we go:

1 Starflight
2 Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
3 Planetfall
4 Super Metroid
5 X-Wing
6 Mass Effect
7 Psychonauts
8 Bulletstorm
9 Red Dead Redemption
10 Magic Candle
11 Plants vs Zombies
12 Gradius V
13 Grand Theft Auto 3
14 The Witcher 2
15 Adventure (Atari)
16 Day of the Tentacle
17 Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
18 M.U.L.E.
19 Galaga
20 Dragon Quest VIII
21 Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers
22 Mario Golf Advance Tour
23 A Mind Forever Voyaging
24 Skies of Arcadia
25 Starcraft
26 Choplifter
27 Doom (2016)
28 Portal 2
29 Fallout New Vegas
30 Defender
31 Brutal Legend
32 Planescape: Torment
33 Forza Horizon
34 Hardball
35 Picross 3D
36 Interstate 76
37 Tomb Raider (2013)
38 Shadow Complex
39 Crimson Skies
40 The Mark of Kri
41 Diablo 3
42 Silent Hill 2
43 The Longest Journey
44 Crackdown
45 Civilization 2
46 Einhander
47 Ultima V
48 Loderunner
49 Rez
50 Okami
51 Bully
52 Advance Wars
53 Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
54 Katamari Damacy
55 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
56 Rock Band
57 Street Fighter 2
58 Wasteland
59 Mirror’s Edge
60 VVVVVV
61 In the Hunt
62 Sam and Max Hit the Road
63 Castlevania Symphony of the Night
64 Dead Space
65 Ghostbusters (2009)
66 Halo Reach
67 Final Fantasy III
68 System Shock 2
69 Pitfall 2
70 Donkey Kong (Game Boy)
71 Crusader: No Remorse
72 Autoduel
73 Star Control 2
74 Zuma’s Revenge
75 Blue Max
76 Defender
77 Fallen London
78 Prof Layton and the Unwound Future
79 Timesplitters Future Perfect
80 Dishonored
81 Knights of the Old Republic 2
82 Ancient Domains of Mystery
83 Mark of the Ninja
84 Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
85 Battlezone
86 Batman Arkham Knight
87 Raid on Bungeling Bay
88 Space Pirates and Zombies
89 Bard’s Tale (not that one)
90 R-Type Final
91 Voodoo Vince
92 Fez
93 Burnout Paradise
94 Super Mario World
95 SSX Tricky
96 Panzer General
97 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
98 Driver: San Francisco
99 Parappa the Rapper
100 Star Trek Online

So I did a few flips; I swapped out Psychonauts, originally at 10, and Magic Candle, originally at 7. I still love Magic Candle, but I feel like I need to respect that as an older game, I probably wouldn’t really play it for very long these days.

Also made a small, but fairly significant, swap out - I put in last year’s Doom revival for the original at 27. Blasphemy! but as much as I did enjoy the original Doom, I’d much rather play the newer game. It’s such a blast. Maybe it’s too recent to really earn that spot, but I’m going with my gut on this one. Also clarified that Tomb Raider at the 37 spot was the 2013 version, I really liked that. Already played it twice.

Took out Moon Patrol from the 62 spot. I love the game, but top 100 material? Not when there’s Sam and Max Hit the Road, a game I totally forgot the first time around. Shame on me.

Dropped out Tecmo Bowl at the 65 spot, that was basically nostalgia for late night dorm room tournaments in college. Fun, but I don’t know if it gets a spot, especially when there’s a game like Ghostbusters! Which I’ll admit is not a great game, necessarily, but a wonderful IP that got all the players back together (before Ramis died) and something I really enjoy.

Also dropped Carmageddon from the list, I enjoyed it but I’ve got better car games on the list already, and I think the Arkham games need some recognition. I really enjoyedthe latest game, Arkham Knight, so that’s the one I went with. I like them all though.

I had a Ancient Art of War at 96, but while that was probably my first strategy game I think there is a better choice to represent on the list and that’s Panzer General. I played the hell out of that game back when it was released.

So I think that will be my update for now. I’m still not convinced the actual ranking is meaningful, but I could change that daily to keep up with my flights of fancy. I got the proper games on the list, or at least I’m narrowing down to perfection. In the neighborhood now, at least. For now.