Your top 15 Sci-fi movies of all time

1. Logan’s Run - The only reason for this to be on the list is quite honestly, Jenny Agutter.

Heh. I almost included the same movie for the same reason.

I’d of listed Moon, but I factored in the desire to re-watch the movies that I chose to list. All the ones I picked I’d watch again anytime. Moon is sort of a once and done movie. Still its VERY GOOD.

Goddammit I knew I’d forgotten something. Moon kicks out The Day The Earth Caught Fire in my list, then. Also it definitely holds up to rewatching - I’ve seen it four times now. So much incidental detail and little things to appreciate about Rockwell’s performance(s).

In no particular order: (And this is my top 15 favorites, not 15 “best” or 15 “most important”).

1. Star Wars
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Tron
  4. Matrix 1
  5. Aliens
  6. They Live
  7. The Hidden
  8. Fifth Element
  9. Robocop
  10. Wrath of Khan
  11. Terminator
  12. Screamers
  13. The Iron Giant
  14. Flash Gordon
  15. Galaxy Quest
    +16. Strange Days.

Always in flux and also I feel that I haven’t seen nearly enough science fiction that has come out in the last couple of years, but here’s mine:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. The Iron Giant
  3. Contact
  4. Star Wars
  5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  6. Terminator 2
  7. WarGames
  8. Serenity
  9. Return of the Jedi
  10. Unbreakable
  11. Wall·E
  12. Back To The Future
  13. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  14. Total Recall (1990)
  15. The Matrix

I have used some of the above lists to flesh out my list. These are in no particular oder…

Star Wars (movies 4-6 or 1-3 whatever)
Andromeda Strain
Jurassic Park
Back to the Future
Wrath of Khan
original Total Recall
Blade Runner
Stargate
Dr. Strangelove
Soylent Green
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
The Thing
Terminator

Ok, so I spent time thinking about what my actual favorite sci-fi movies are and these are them, not necessarily ranked.

Moon
District 9
28 Days Later
Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
Gamer
The Road
Star Wars (Can the original trilogy count as one? I was always a fan of Return of the Jedi if I had to pick. I’m a sucker for space battles.)
Tron
Equilibrium
Independence Day
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Star Trek: First Contact
Serenity
Escaflowne
Super 8

There are some other really good ones, and depending on my mood they’d have made the list, like The Matrix, Blade Runner, the Bill & Ted movies, or Gattaca, but the above 15 are some ones that I’m pretty much always willing to watch.

[edited to add a movie to the list]

Ordered, favorite at #1.

1. Terminator 1
  2. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
  3. Star Wars, A New Hope
  4. Star Wars, Return of the Jedi
  5. Back To The Future
  6. Terminator 2
  7. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  8. Contact
  9. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
  10. Wall-E
  11. Predator
  12. Running Man
  13. The Fifth Element
  14. Planet of the Apes
  15. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

In no particular order beyond as I scribbled them down as they came to mind…

Blade Runner: No, I’m not going to specify Original Theatrical or Final Cut.
Alien: The only movie that ever fucking terrified me as an adult.
Aliens: So damn quotable
The Matrix: Out-paranoids Philip K Dick, and that’s saying something.
The Andromeda Strain: just so well done and all too plausible.
Forbidden Planet: The best Star Trek film. Monsters…monsters from the Id!
The Empire Strikes Back: Adds that layer of Joseph Campbell mythic element that gave the series heroic depth.
The Thing (Carpenter): What the fuck is that? Too graphic for it’s day.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (not the remake): 50’s red scare style paranoia meets parable with a message.
2001: A Space Odyssey: I think modern audiences will find this too measured, too slow-paced, but it’s effects still hold up today, and well…it was so cosmic!
Robocop: A simply action movie that had some surprising poignancy. Murphy’s death and the salvaging of at least some measure of his lost humanity in a world all too often inhuman raised it above it’s genre.
Dark City: Let me specify The Director’s Cut, which removes the awful voice-over that beats you over the head with what should be an unfolding mystery (and is, in the director’s cut).
A Clockwork Orange: Uncomfortably disturbing.
Mysterious Island: Harryhausen! Bernard Hermann! Captain Nemo! Damn!
The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II): stripped down to the essentials, I like that it’s characters are defined with such economy.

Wait…I think that’s 15. Some other thoughts and honorable mentions:
Wall-E doesn’t quite make it, but the haunting loneliness of the opening is simply one of the best set-pieces in film.
Brazil: I love that industrious, bustling workplace that suddenly goes quiet and still the moment the foreman closes his door. It’s that bent Gilliam dystopia.
Someone mentioned a favorite from my youth, Robinson Crusoe on Mars. I don’t think it holds up, but I did enjoy it growing up.
Terminator. Maybe if it was the top 20.
Star Trek II: The best of the Treks (well, not counting it’s inspiration, Forbidden Planet). The story reinforces it’s thematic elements with skill and depth. They just kind of ruined the effect with the next Trek. Another tough one to leave off.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers: Okay, so I couldn’t make up my mind and didn’t want to take up two spaces with it. See either of them, they are both outstanding. Also, I wasn’t exactly sure if this was more horror than science fiction.
Minority Report: pity that Spielberg had to put those goofy comedy relief elements into it, or I would have placed it in my top 15. I still enjoyed it, though.
The 12 Monkeys: Well done, but at the same time, I just plain hate the premise that you must helplessly go to a preordained fate.
Metropolis: Hard to watch silent movies at times, but this had some rather interesting elements for it’s day.
Frankenstein: It’s alive! Though I mention it last, it’s only because I cut it out as the very last change, so I suppose it’s 16th on my list.

Edit in: Oh, Silent Running. No, not in my top 15, but certainly an honorable mention.
And further edit in: The Time Machine. I liked the changes they made to the book so it became more than simply Wells speculations and warnings of the future and more about the characters. I like some of the elements of the remake and it grows on me more than when I first watched it, but still prefer the George Pal original.

Oh, and double-damn, I’m the only one with a Harryhausen movie? Maybe you had to see it in the theaters when you were young and it was first released…

Ohhh! I forgot about that. That was a fantastic movie (though the end was a weeee bit cheese).
z22 - Predator should also have been in my list… but that would have meant bumping something… I feel like I want to do a new 20-list.

It’s fun that everyone seems to define “sci-fi” in different ways. I would tend to lean towards the classic examples of space travel (or at least highly advanced technology) but the inclusion of things like Frankenstein and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind above is pretty neat. I always enjoy the debate of what constitutes “science fiction”.

My list would look something like this (though not in any particular order, I don’t think):

1. Moon - Certainly one of the finest sci-fi films in recent years.
  2. District 9 - Definitely one of the best films in general in recent years.
  3. Pandorum - One of my favourite sci-fi horror films. (Fun fact, the last three movies all came out in 2009. What a fantastic year for sci-fi that was.)
  4. The Thing (1982) - My absolute favourite horror movie of all time, sci-fi or no.
  5. Blade Runner - One of my favourite movies of all time. Fantastic cinema.
  6. Alien - See above.
  7. 2001: A Space Odyssey - One of the best movies of all time.
  8. The Fifth Element - See above. ;)
  9. Looper - Such a fresh take on the time travel subgenre, it really deserves a mention (especially because they completely eschew any attempt to explain how it works scientifically). Joseph Gordon-Levitt is phenomenal here.
  10. Sunshine - The amount of research that went into this movie is pretty boggling, and the attention to detail is equally impressive. I really enjoyed this film.
  11. Serenity - Obligatory “aim to misbehave” reference.
  12. The Fountain - There is something in this movie that is so hard to grasp, so hard to put to words, that I can’t fully describe my appreciation for it.
  13. Jurassic Park - A great triumph of special effects that stands up to scrutiny to this day. In no uncertain terms, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park look more realistic than the alien lifeforms in Avatar. Also, dinosaurs!
  14. Cube - A Canadian indie film that can actually stand next to other Hollywood sci-fi movies (finally), Cube seems to be a riff on the classic horror short story I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (or perhaps could be more closely compared to Saw, though it’s a fair bit more existential). There is terror in the unknown and in paranoia and the slow descent to madness is perfectly showcased here. (If you haven’t read that short story, do so immediately. Then come back. I can wait.)
  15. Starship Troopers - HUA, marines!

Some notable mentions: Wall-E, I, Robot, Dark City, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Aliens

Some movies I really want to see: Primer, Solaris (the original)

Science fiction is such a broad subject if only because it pretty much contains all other literary forms, just with a future or scientific overlay. Firefly (have the boardgame next to me as I type), western. Caves of Steel? Detective. Bolo? War. Frankenstein? Horror. The latter is sometimes credited as the earliest science fiction story (a whole debate within itself). We tend to lump Frankenstein in with horror, but really, it is also classic science fiction in dealing with advanced technology and the consequences and ramifications of using that technology and knowledge. But the flip side is I am just as prone to compartmentalizing as anyone else - I’d describe The Fountain as more a fantasy and philosophic journey than science fiction. But it is interesting to see others say otherwise. I’d have more of an argument with Serenity, which was fine for what it was, but nothing special and doesn’t seem to stand as well by itself outside the context of the TV series. I just can’t place it anywhere near more intriguing or landmark films, but hey, that’s the fun of it!

I actually saw the movie long before I saw the TV show, and didn’t realize that Serenity was actually a continuation of Firefly until after I had discovered the TV show and watched it all the way through, and that separation was a factor of a few years. Despite that, I still thought that the movie was a fantastic sci-fi western that held it’s own. Obviously, my opinion of the film is even higher now that I have a greater appreciation for the characters, universe and so forth, but my initial reaction to the content was unbiased by that knowledge and that’s what I always go back to when I think about Serenity as a sci-fi film. I imagine my exposure to the film is much different from most of the populace so I think my experience with it is a little less biased than most others. Not that that makes it worth more than the opinion of others, mind you – that would be incredibly jerk-ish to say. But… yeah.

I agree, though: there is definitely some great debate to be had about definitions of genre limits and where each film falls in the spectrum!

I’m only listing movies that haven’t been listed yet so not a true top 15 but I concur with the popular ones (Aliens, Fifth Element, Bladerunner, etc)

Happy Accidents (sci-fi romance talkarama)
Cube (don’t watch any of the other ones)
Cypher (same director of cube)
Save the Green Planet! (Korean sci-fi comedy)
Ink (crazy dream/nightmare world insanity)
The City of Lost Children (French, steampunkish)
Limitless (a drug that makes you awesome)
Pitch Black (yeah)
Lunopolis (crazy documentary style secret government alien shit)
E.T. (lol)
Short Circuit (Johnny Five)
The Objective (no spoliers)
Weird Science
Demolition Man
Screamers

I almost included Short Circuit. I probably would have included it if I had watched it at any point in the last decade. Its been a while.

I cannot emphasize how thrilled I am to see so many cool movies I knew little about. New(old) sci-fi to watch!

THIS! Happy to see it remedied as the thread goes on, though.

-xtien

“Gerty, is there someone else in the room?”

I love the way you wrote up your list. I just wanted to say that.

Also, Upstream Color was a welcome surprise. Please people, watch that movie.

-xtien

“It’s not great.”

Yeah, Frankenstein is definitely sci-fi because it’s a scientific process that reanimates the corpse. Eternal Sunshine is also solidly sci-fi, as it features a machine that rewrites the brain. In fact, the machine in Eternal Sunshine doesn’t seem that far off from the one in Inception, and it’s pretty hard to argue Inception isn’t sci-fi.

If you want to argue about whether a movie is sci-fi, my nomination from the above examples is Gravity. It has a space shuttle replacement that doesn’t appear to have anything that doesn’t currently exist (other than the money to build it) and an MMU that’s bit more powerful than the existing model. I think it fits neatly alongside Apollo 13 as a disaster movie that happens in space.

But… but its in space.

Also, Upstream Color was a welcome surprise. Please people, watch that movie.

Ooh, that reminds me. The UK release was delayed for a ridiculously long time, but it finally came out. I should go see it.

Tough one! Off the top of my head, these are my favorites. Some would not stand up today, but for their time (and that time of my life) they were fantastic. I’m sure after I post this I’ll think of five more that I should have included.

1. Star Wars
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  3. Alien
  4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  6. Galaxy Quest
  7. Moon
  8. The Final Countdown
  9. Forbidden Planet
  10. Iron Giant
  11. A Clockwork Orange
  12. Heavy Metal (Caveat: Based on seeing it at age 16)
  13. Gravity (Would probably be #5 if I didn’t have a basic understanding of orbital mechanics)
  14. Dark Star (Humor in science fiction? Unpossible!)
  15. The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Edit: Other movies I really liked that didn’t make the list:
Time After Time (Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells!)
The entire Planet of the Apes series (Beneath the Planet of the Apes scared the hell out of me as a kid! And I even liked the cheesy later ones.)
Westworld and Futureworld
Fantastic Voyage
Escape from Witch Mountain (when I was a kid, obviously)
Sleeper
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Scanners
Altered States
Flash Gordon (hated it so much the first time I saw it, loved it ever since)
The Last Starfighter
Enemy Mine