Donnie Darko
Primer
Ink
Memento
Minority Report
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Being John Malkovitch
Cloud Atlas

Not all of these may be strictly Sci-Fi, and I’ve purposefully excluded Star Wars, Star Trek, and The Matrix.

Wait, am I thinking of the right movie? Guy Pearce, anterograde amnesia?

Yeah, that’s the one. It’s… sciencey!

Good list. I totally forgot about Cloud Atlas, which I loved.

my favorites are already reflected in the above lists except
Battlefield LA

Pretty sure Inception and 12 Monkeys will remain my #1 and #2 for a long time. Despite my usual dislike of DiCaprio.

I also find it funny - I hated McConaughey’s character in Contact. I know that was the point, but it drove me bonkers and I ended up disliking him as an actor because of it despite loving the movie overall. Until Interstellar, which I love and redeemed him as an actor in my head. I’ve neglected to see if he was in anything worthwhile in the gap between those two…

I’d recommend the first season of True Detective if you’re looking for good McConaghey stuff.

Mud, The Lincoln Lawyer, and of course Dazed & Confused are also good examples of his acting talent.

I first saw Solaris when I was about 10 and my dad forced me to. It bored me to tears. So then I grow up and think that as an adult I’ll finally be able to understand it. It bored me to tears again. There’s 3 hours of mostly nothing happening. Then the ending happens. How am I supposed to understand or even care about this guy’s choice when I still, after 3 frickin’ hours, know almost nothing about him?

He was pretty annoying in that. I forgot about Contact, too! I really like that film.

Second the recommendation of True Detective, which I like because it takes McConaughey particularly far from his ‘all right all right all right’ persona.

All right all right all right nihilism.

Ed TV is one of my favorite McConaughey films.

PS a lot of the people in this thread need to see Gattaca.

Gattaca never did too much for me. One of those films I respect from a distance.

1. Solaris (1972 version)
  2. Stalker

Now you’re thinking in Russian.

I saw Gattaca on my 30th birthday sitting next to Ethan Hawke, so I’ll always love that movie. I really love the soundtrack and themes regardless, but that was a great experience I’ll never forget.

I just saw Stargate (1994). It’s not good.

Awwww!