Your top 15 Sci-fi movies of all time

rushmorechapel

-xtien

Just watched 2010 the other night. It was better than I remembered it. And even dressed in Russian space coveralls the entire movie, Helen Mirren was HAWT.

The acting talent in 2010 was top-notch. Bob Balaban’s Dr. Chandra was particularly good, but all of the characters are very well acted.

He’s just good in anything, isn’t he?

He is, but seems like I almost have a reflexive laugh when I see him anymore, mainly due to his work on Seinfeld and the Christopher Guest movies.

I’m assuming when you guys say Solaris you mean the old Russian one, not the 2002 Soderburgh one-- which was also an interesting film, but not “great”.

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Silent Running
District 9
Alien
Aliens
Fifth Element
The Thing (1982)
They Live
Starship Troopers
Under the Skin
The Angry Red Planet
Flash Gordon
Mad Max: Fury Road

I thought I was the only one who liked Screamers. Thought it was a very decent Philip K. Dick adaptation.

My 15, in order (no cop outs, like @Gordon_Cameron :) ):

Blade Runner

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

A Clockwork Orange

Alien

Planet of the Apes

Star Wars

Soylent Green

12 Monkeys

Rollerball

The Road Warrior

Ex Machina

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Alphaville

You people are killing me. The Star Wars movies are not science fiction!

Ohhhh can I ask questions? What about this movie places it at #4 for you? Did you see it in theatres during release, or later etc?

Agreed.

I need to sit down and make this top 15 list one of these days. It would be tough to come up with 15 good science fiction movies I think . I’m still not sure if Momento qualifies, for instance.

Everybody had matching towels!

The Top Seven can always interchange. Combination of great films, plots, personal impact, etc. More than just being fantastic Films and fantastic Sci Fi. Today that is the order. :) But I did see it in the theater, yes. I was 11.

I like your list. And remember:

Danke, Jason.
But…
Spoiler! Blur that! Some people are watching 70s movies! (no kidding…looks at @Rock8man).

I’ve seen that one! I think. It was a long time ago, but I remember that revelation, at least.

I’m currently in the middle of watching Silent Running, I like it so far.

It’s a good film. Not my 15. But good. Did you see Rollerball yet?

Never mind with the blur, @Jason_Levine. The one human on earth who would have had it spoiled is now innoculated. :)

This scene always gets me:

It’s going to take a long time to get to Rollerball, I’m afraid. It’s only streaming on Starz, and I doubt I’ll be subscribing to them any time soon, unless I have a whole bunch of movies lined to watch during the month that I get a Starz subscription.

Edit, I had these lined up for Starz so far. Not a bad list.

Young Frankenstein
The Conversation
Serpico
Days of Heaven
Three Days of the Condor
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Zardoz
Rollerball
Day of the Jackal
Two Mules for Sister Sara