Your top 5 favorite rock bands (as of now)

Antlers - I am often amazed at the automatic dismissal of every new rock band as adolescent dreck. :)

I like Rock music because it is loud and often times angry. Many bands may not have the same veiled magical messages of the rock bands of the past decades, but many have something to say and, yes, it is oft times riddled with bored suburbian angst. Just as many come from troubled backgrounds that others can identify with.

I will refrain from casting dispesions on your selections other than to say, “Hey, McMaster! Good one.” :lol:

In no order.

Rage Against the Machine
The White Stripes
The Pillow’s
The Eel’s
Bright Eye’s
The Seatbelt’s
for i cannot eliminate one.

The Mars Volta (check these guys out… amazing stuff)
Radiohead
Matthew Good
Opeth
Porcupine Tree

Nevermind at this very moment, at any moment ever, these guys are awesome.

Yes (you were agreeing with me, weren’t you?). I think it’s a little sad that so many of my wife’s university students’ favorite bands are the Led Zeppelin-era ones that they were forced to listen to on the classic rock stations their parents tuned to while they were growing up. They are gripped by the dead hand of baby-boomer cultural hegemony, and today’s homogeneous monopoly-controlled media won’t let them escape.

BTW: only 40% of my picks feature lesbians. What can I say? I like bands with female vocalists.

If I like The Beatles it’s not because of what my parents listened to. I disovered all of those bands by myself.

Led Zep is crap though.

INFIDEL!!!

Yes (you were agreeing with me, weren’t you?). I think it’s a little sad that so many of my wife’s university students’ favorite bands are the Led Zeppelin-era ones that they were forced to listen to on the classic rock stations their parents tuned to while they were growing up. They are gripped by the dead hand of baby-boomer cultural hegemony, and today’s homogeneous monopoly-controlled media won’t let them escape.

BTW: only 40% of my picks feature lesbians. What can I say? I like bands with female vocalists.[/quote]

In the UK classic rock and metal is rebel music. It is underground. There is no airplay for it.

'Course in the US I wish the stations would just stop playing Led Zep. I used to like them, but you can have too much of a good thing.

Oh, my #6 pick is Judas Priest and my #7 is Tony MacAlpine.

Industry Dwarf

No particular order:

Tool
Talking Heads
Radiohead
Weezer
Cake

Ok, rock. This is not counting the other genre’s I love. In no order,

-Pink FLoyd
-The Rolling Stones
-Iron Maiden
-Pearl Jam
-Grant Lee Buffalo

Honorable mentions,
-The Beattles
-U2
-Van Halen
-Heart
-The Dire Straits

I tried to pick bands that I’d consider purely “rock”.

In no particular order,

YES
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles

There is some new stuff I enjoy, No Doubt, NIN, SUM 41, but the old acts are tough to follow.

Yeah, I hated the Beatles out of hate for the sixties flower-power hippie turned kapitalist pigz baby boomers. I was a teen, what the hell do I know. But then I had a friend of mine who put Sgt. Peppers on a B-Side with Public Enemies Fear of a Black Planet. Damn, I was born that day I heard it for the first time (well for the first time all the way through as an attentive follower of the rocknroll arts). BTW, mixing tapes is a dying art. I was talking to my cousins who are all college age, and these kids… they don’t know what the hell I’m talking about. Mixing tapes is so damn important… like it was in High Fidelity.

etc

I hate to break it to you, but nowadays we make mix CDs.

Not the same thing. Mixing a tape meant you had to sit and listen to each track. It was a long process that made you think about the friend or girl you were making the tape for.

You kids today just drag and drop.

Don’t lump us in all together. I spend hours listening to different track lists in winamp before I commit it to CD.

BTW, you write all of your articles on a typewriter, right? None of this newfangled technology for you ;)

Yep, plugging in the broadband connection was a bitch.

I was waiting for someone to mention these guys.

Tough call.

Beck
Peter Gabriel
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Blur

Let’s see… Have to go with:

Radiohead
The Beatles
Quasi
The Pixies
Weezer

Don’t lump us in all together. I spend hours listening to different track lists in winamp before I commit it to CD.

BTW, you write all of your articles on a typewriter, right? None of this newfangled technology for you ;)[/quote]

Nah mix CD’s are too disposable. you can skip the songs too easily. Witha mix tape you have to make sure to keep the listener interested… (whoever it was). You start off strong, lead from song to song, and the cut from song to song had to be like one emotional ride, an ebb and flow. Each mix tape had a purpose. one for the girl you loved… another you gave to a friend to hear new music (showoff all the music they don’t know about), and the other mix tape for driving. Bah, mix cd’s. And you all rip it off the internet! FRIGGIN THIEVES!

And are albums dead now? Internet killed the album star!

btw, that Weezer song “Tired of Sex” what a liar! Great song though, like a demented Beach Boys song gone psycho (Cobainish). Yeah Weezer was like a harder version of The Cure meets the Beach Boys or something.

etc

All time best bands? That’s a tough one. I’m going to go with eras, just to help out a bit. Obviously, some could be put in different decades, depending on when you think they made their best music:

60s: Who, Hendrix, Cream, Crosby/Stills/Nash

70s: Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin (perhaps the best band ever), Pink Floyd

80s: Duran Duran (hated them when I was young…LOVE them now), Guns and Roses, Cult, Metallica, Jane’s Addiction

90s: Ministry, NIN

2000+: There are none

Great songs that don’t come from all-time great bands (though they are good bands): Sober (Tool), Ziggy Played Guitar (David Bowie), Can’t Wash Her Away (del Amitri), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana), Paint it Black and Sympathy for the Devil (Rolling Stones), the Wizard (Uriah Heep), Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols), Someon Just Like You (Bang Tango), Safety Dance (Men Without Hats), Hazy Shade of Winter (Bangles), Synchronicity 2/King of Pain (the Police), most of 311’s first album, Music (downhill ever since), Little Red Riboflavin/Godzilla (Bouffant Jellyfish), Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac), Cult of Personality (Living Colour), Re-Ignition/Quickness/Rise (Bad Brains), Siva/Rhinocerous (Smashing Pumpkins)

I could go on, but I think I have already overdone it.