The "War Films" Thread

A list with arbitrary rules? I’m shocked!

Look. If it’s divisible by five*, it’s not arbitrary. I’m pretty sure that’s written down somewhere.

-xtien

*Or if three people are each doing a list of three things. I believe that is even in the Laws of Thermodynamics.

All my favourites have been named, but I’ll submit The Battle of Algiers. Maybe not a war movie in the strictest sense since it depicts an occupying force being challenged by an urban insurgency, but it’s just still so damn impressive in terms of its form and technique and just flat out thrilling.

Ooh. You just made me think of Army of Shadows.

-xtien

Amazing soundtrack too.

Yep, seen it. I love me some Sam Fuller. Fixed Bayonets and Verboten (which is really more of a post-war movie) are a couple more good ones from him.

Quite the variety here! Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. Here are two I think haven’t:

Gallipoli

Mr. Roberts

Here’s one that should not go on the list because it completely crapped on the source material.
Flight of the Intruder

But this one didn’t:
The Great Santini

War Of The Roses
Star Wars
War of The Worlds
Captain America: Civil War

I keeed.

Don’t think I’ve seen too many war movies. But these are my faves:

Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Lawrence of Arabia
All Quiet on the Western Front

Picked up Patton which I’ve never seen, looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Oh, hmmm, also Ran. Doctor Strangelove? Schindler’s List? I think I could switch any of the ones above for these three, except for Saving Private Ryan.

A grampa favorite of mine:

I dunno if y’all know, by the way, but Maximum Fun has a new war movie podcast called Friendly Fire which is pretty good.

• Bridge Too Far
  • The Longest Day
  • Saving Private Ryan

and now it gets tougher.

• Cross Of Iron/Battle Of The Bulge/Apocalypse Now/Dambusters/Tora Tora Tora/Battle of Midway

I’m, uh, liberally interpreting the (unstated) rules of the game. None of these movies are “about” the war in question. The conflicts are more than just setting, though, and (with the exception of maybe Inglourious Basterds) they drive their respective plots as much as any character.

I’m just not a fan of the traditional war movie, to be honest. :(

If you enjoyed the book you might like to read, War for the Hell of It: A Fighter Pilot’s View of Vietnam by Ed Cobleigh

My top 4 would be. Grave of the Fireflies, Dr Strangelove, Lawrence of Arabia, schindler’s list

Some real big titles missing from this discussion are:

@BellaConfusione is right about Algiers. Fantastic film Groundbreaking.

And Army of Shadows has consistently slipped through my fingers…never seen it. On my watchlist now…

Robert Wise also directed The Sand Pebbles, a film I will also try to get in this conversation as well.
I also think that may have been McQueen’s finest performance.

AHEM SIR.

Look man, mine were all claimed, and I wanted to post some linkzzz

That makes no sense!

and I just realised I have to put Enemy At The Gates in the list too. I forgot how awesome that was, especially the river landing and suicide charge and the bomber/dept store scene.