Yu-Gi-Oh for PS2

The fusions are annoying. I read the manual and watched the tutorial video and still get the idea that its one of those things you have to memorize. I think compared to most ccg games yugioh (at least this VG version) … is too dependent on monsters. At least in MtG you have counters, powerups, lands that do multiple things. I get the feeling the card makers of yugioh didnt plan the strategy behind it as much as say MtG or even Etherlords. Though I have never played yugioh ccg or am only past the first insect leader in the ps2 game… so maybe its just a matter of experience.

etc

Those last comments are simply untrue. The CCG is well-designed. It does rely on monsters more heavily than say Magic: The Gathering, but that’s its appeal. Kids love the monsters. There’s a whole different feel to using traps and spells in the CCG as well. Moving on the board has a definite effect on how that stuff works.

I’m still enjoying the game and my wife’s ripping through the campaign now. The fusing hasn’t caused her much difficulty. A lot of times, you’re probably seeing the computer use a magic card to up the ability of the creature before he puts it down. You can do this as well. If you’ve got a card that affects only one monster, choose it and the monster you want to effect and play them both at the same time. You’ll get a much more powerful creature and your opponent won’t know what it is…just like when they do the same to you.

Have you both tried to put two monsters together and succeeded? I haven’t even tried that but once and when that just kicked the other off, I figured it wasn’t possible and it was only the green magic cards doing the monster buffing.

–Dave

I have put several monsters together and succeeded. Most of the fusions that work in the CCG work here, plus several others besides. The problem I have is that I have no real way of knowing some of the more advanced fusions, while the computer tosses them together like it was baking a cake.

I was actually wrong before about not being able to see what cards are used to make particular fusions. When the computer fuses two cards, those cards are sent to the Graveyard, which can be perused immediately after. Write down those cards and then try it later.

I’ve also noticed that the CPU often gets very, very lucky with the hands it’s dealt. I’ve played many versions of the YGO game over the last year or so, and I don’t think I’ve ever ended up with a hand that let me use four cards as a fusion/power-up in a single shot. I’ve seen the DotR AI do that about five times.

But like I said, enjoyable, just wonky at times. I still would like to see a console game that’s just a straight translation of the CCG rules, though.

~MJK

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to how the fusion works between monsters.

It’s mostly trial and error. As it was posted earlier, if the computer AI fuses two or more monsters, you can look in the graveyard to see what was done.

I never looked at the Strategy Guide for the game, so I don’t know if that will provide any tips on fusions.

I finished the campign for both the white and red duelists. It was pretty good, and I’m actually not tired of the game. Once your deck is pretty powerful, the game gets a hell of alot easier. The bests cards are the traps that reduce your opponent’s attack points, then spellbinds them. Also, I always take the offensive right off the bat moving forward with a trap card first.

There are two duelists you face where I totally believe that the AI is cheating. It’s against Pegasus (Crawford), and Yugi’s Uncle (can’t remember the name).

They totally know WHEN you place a monster card, trap card, or magic card even when it’s face down. They won’t attack a trap card, and know when a monster’s attack points is lower than it’s own monster.

The Pegasus’ character I can forgive. He has the Millenium Eye artifact in the cartoon which allows him to see his opponent’s cards.

Freakin’ Yugi’s uncle just holds your cards at bay. Half his deck seems to be direct damage cards against your life-points! I was only able to beat him with the machine card that destroys walls (cannon something).

I can’t wait to see what other fusion combos I can come up with. My biggest reason for playing it after the 2 campaigns are over is to see how fast I can defeat a duelists now. Also, some of the dragon animations are awesome.