Yuji Naka's last chance: Balan Wonderworld

Looks like Sonic was a fluke?

Miyamoto can keep innovating but Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka haven’t been able to stay relevant.

Oof. I laughed and winced a lot.

Don’t forget about, uh…Billy Hatcher?

It seems like something went horribly wrong with the development of Balan Wonderworld. Maybe they totally failed to pivot to a Covid WFH setup? The reports of having multiple costumes that do the exact same thing speaks to somebody demanding big numbers just to get big numbers on marketing slides.

Looking back at his credits, I think it’s very likely that Naka is able to shepherd some interesting ideas through, but really needs somebody to polish and edit those ideas.

As I was saying while insulting Rei because he’s dumb (doing it again, damn it!), Naka has always been a programmer, not a designer, and a single person doesn’t make a videogame — although I read repeatedly on these forums that one person is enough to ruin a good game.
He’s a very talented programmer, as Phantasy Star 1 and 2 and Sonic 1 and 2 proved, and a very competent superviser, as the best fishing game ever was done under his rule, for the Wii, a game that was universally ignored, even by @lordkosc I bet!

Anyway creating a thread to say a game sucks without much of any other point, or without even having played it I suspect, seems kinda below these forums, eh?

Never owned a Wii .

:P

That was incredibly funny

Ugh, why did you have to mention Yu Suzuki (creator of my favorite gaming franchise ever)

His primary credits post 2000 or so have been Producer, so it seems it isn’t entirely unfair to judge his output on the broader level. I don’t know anything about his actual role on these projects, but its possible that he got Peter-Principled out of programming and into a role that he’s not so great at.

Balan Wonderworld looks like one of his few Director credits, so it might be that he’s just not a good fit for that role. Doesn’t take anything away from his talent as a programmer.

Yes, if you aren’t fired, you become a suits in the military-inspired corporate culture.

Because Shenmue 3 was bad and he has the gall to end it on a cliffhanger to try and drag it out.

Shenmue 3 is awesome and haha, you play Shenmue for the story!

If his resume is a bad one, I have no idea what a good one looks like…

Typically when you see a 21 year gap in a resume, that is a red flag

If you look at the production history section he has a game released every 1-2 years, no 21 year gap. Granted, he does only have 2 credits as director - now and 22 years ago - maybe that’s what you meant?

He’s done more than Sonic, that’s for sure. But he hasn’t done anything noteworthy in the last 15 years.

Yes 12

Maybe play some of the recent games he produced before throwing them into the dump.

That being said, the demo of balan for the switch was a sad affair of terrible performances (yes, even for me the 30fps lover)

Do you recognize any of these titles?

Producer
|2008|Let’s Tap
|2009|
Let’s Catch
|2009|Ivy the Kiwi?
|2011|Wii Play: Motion
|2011| Fishing Resort
|2013|
StreetPass Mansion / Monster Manor|
|2014|
Digimon All-Star Rumble|
|2015|
Rodea the Sky Soldier* (original Wii version)|Producer|
|2014|StreetPass Fishing / Ultimate Angler|
|2016|StreetPass Chef / Feed Mii|
|2017|Legend of Coin |Programmer]

Are any of these good? I didn’t intend to “throw them into the dump”, but I don’t recall hearing about any of these titles like I have the other post-Sonic The Hedgehog games I didn’t even pay, such as Nights into Dreams, Chu-Chu Rocket, or Samba De Amigo.

Wikipedia isn’t always reliable, so maybe some titles are missing from this list?

Ivy the Kiwi was a nifty game, which was pretty much of copy of another one whose name escapes me as usual, unless that other one was the one who copied it… Anyway it used the remote as a mouse regrettably. I think the game would have been better adapted to computers (not an option in Japan) or, even better, to tablets (but that was too early).

The Wii version of Rodea is a weirdass Remote driven game that I didn’t like just as I didn’t like Nights. I’m 3D challenged. I know a friend of a friend who liked it. That’s an endorsement.

Fishing Resort is the best fishing game since Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 2 on the Super Nintendo, and the reason to own the Wii.