Z: Year One, not quite ready for primetime?

Welp, this turned out to be a bit of a mess. It just came out of Early Access, but to me, it still feel very early access. I haven’t been able to get through a single game, despite a half dozen attempts, as the zombie faction. It consistently stalls out during the human player turn. Which is a huge disappointment, since the game’s asymmetry is one of its selling points. It’s not quite Netrunner asymmetrical, but it’s close.

The interface could really use some work, which is surprising given that it’s supposedly based on a pre-existing tabletop game. Supposedly being the operative word here. And for a game that was presumably gathering feedback during Early Access, it doesn’t feel like the kind of game that was shaped by user feedback. For instance, there’s no audio slider. It’s unclear from the main screen why you can’t click start game. (Hint: the unlabeled images on the right of the screen are the different decks. There is no indication of this. Now pick one without getting any information whatsoever about what you’ve actually picked.)

That said, supercool artwork, solid long term progression, a nifty variety of game modes – including a hardcore mode based on collecting variants – and if it ever ends up working, a pretty decent design. But I think I’m done for the time being. Someone bump this thread when it gets whipped into better shape.

-Tom

@tomchick - The freezing when playing as the zombies was supposedly fixed in a patch yesterday, but I haven’t tried it yet. The menu does say “choose a deck” when setting up a game, but I guess it could be clearer that’s what those pictures are for.

Does anyone have any experience with the tabletop game they can share?

No, because it doesn’t exist. Looks like there was a physical version theoretically coming as part of at least one of multiple Kickstarter projects but none have been made so far.

The tabletop version is coming after the digital one. They wanted to have the art, cards, rules, … set in stone before printing the set. There is an update on the timeline for the tabletop version due in March.

Oh. That is a good reason.

I have. :(

Also, there are a couple of modes that involve playing multiple matches (4 matches in arcade mode, and five in supply run). Each match takes me about 10 to 20 minutes. But there is no way to save the game between matches, and the developer didn’t seem open to adding any such option. So just something to keep in mind if you’re interested in a game that supports playing in shorter bursts, or when something comes up and you might have to step away for a while. I don’t have a lot of patience these days for games that make those demands on my time.

-Tom

Good to know. These days I’m only good for short bursts (I know, that’s what she said :)), which is why I’m far more likely to play something like Minos Strategos.

Fortunately for my schedule I really suck at this, and usually lose by the 6th or 7th turn. I’ve only won one game since release, and that was with the survivor starter deck of heavy hitters.

So this should be a pretty good overview – abeit a two-hour overview – of the state of the game, for better and worse.

-Tom

Welp, I’m officially rage uninstalling. Fuck this game. :(

-Tom

At least you got a professional response. Perhaps there is hope yet.

The game looked really good and really bad simultaneously.

Yes, exactly!