Zeno Clash

I couldn’t find anything with the search function so I decided to post a new thread on this.

Zeno Clash is an upcoming game by a studio called ACE Team, based in Chile. Apologies if you’ve seen it before, but I assume it went under the radar of some people when it was announced last year.

Anyway, they just released a new trailer, and it’s looking pretty good. There’s a strong emphasis on melee combat, similar to Dark Messiah.

What do people think? Personally I’m just glad that we’re getting something very different from the usual stuff.

Surprised there hasn’t been more talk about this one. I just watched the videos, and I have to say I love what they are doing with the art and the world so far.

The art style is wonderful and some of the gameplay reminds me of Dark Messiah and the fist fighting in Riddick.

Been looking forward to this for a long time. I’m sure the gameplay will at least be decent (and could be great), but I’d buy this just to walk around in that world alone.

here are some pics for those too lazy to click the link:

Watching the footage of this game makes me nauseous, and the last time that happened was with First Person Football.

I think you mean nauseous. Noxious is a different thing altogether.

I find it quite amusing that there are two trailers for this game, one in Feb 08, and one in Dec 08, and that between the two, no significant art or story changes have been made.

I guess building a realistic melee combat simulation is a task in and of itself.

Please tell me he just kicked that girl to the ground in that screenshot.

I don’t see what you’re getting at. Does a game have to look radically different by the end of a year of work?

I’m not being critical.

As a game coder, I’m just sympathetically amused about how much (“invisible” to those not in the loop) work subtle game changes can require.

Of course, they could just be building levels and other assets, but I suspect from the second video’s more elaborate melee system, that that was the focus.

ah, programming humor… kind of

I thought you were belittling the work of what seems to be a small developer.

That cod piece is chafing his thighs.

The contrast and highly saturated colors really make the characters pop and gives them weight. It feels like an animated movie (from the screens) in a way that other games don’t. The animation and voice work in the video I watched leaves a little to be desired, but it’s definitely an eye-catching game.

I do agree, there’s something about it motion that’s unnerving, but I’m sure I’d get used to it.

I’m digging the slightly surrealistic, otherworldly look.

Hey looks interesting, one to keep tabs on.

Just watched the video. Looks pretty cool, I will probably pick this up. I think the weirdest thing about the movement is the Reed Richards effect they have going on with the main character’s arms when he punches. They stretch forever!

The hand-to-hand combat looks very similar to Riddick, but the shooter aspect looks juvenile at best.

Puffs on his pipe.

The Reticule has had an interview with the Zeno Clash guys.

I like this:

For Zeno Clash we wanted to create a truly unique fantasy game. Fantasy can be so much more than orcs, dragons and unicorns. In Zeno Clash we wanted everything to feel surreal and from another world. The trees, the architecture, the animals… everything.

I agree. It’s rare (and wonderful) to see a truly original fantasy game. This and The Void (aka Tension, from the makers of Pathologic) are the only two I can think of in recent memory.

a new preview/interview here

it’s interesting that the development team is basically a small group of brothers and close friends. hope the game succeeds, at least enough for them to be able to continue.

also, the game will only be 20 bucks.

gameplay video with a kind of developer walkthrough explaining different gameplay strategies:

release date is March 27th, I think, and it’s priced at only $20.