Zero Time Dilemma (aka Zero Escape 3)

Nope. Remember, they expect you to explore multiple versions of events so by the time you’ve actually beaten them there’s no variance to carry over.

Well, you can always just close the lid on the 3DS and leave it in sleep mode.

And the clusterfuck continues. Not only did Amazon not waive the shipping on my one day upgrade like they said they would, but the game did not ship yesterday as it was scheduled to and when I called about it the rep told me they didn’t have any in stock (except they do because it’s the same damn thing as the standard edition) and didn’t know when they would. I am supposed to get a call back today with an update but in the meantime I got an email projecting a new ship date of next Monday. So unless I get that call today and they tell me actually they can ship it today, I am giving up on Amazon and buying the damn Steam version. This is utterly ridiculous.

Edit:
Didn’t get a call back from Amazon but they were projecting a new ship date of next Monday. That’s utterly ridiculous, so I cancelled that order and bought the Steam version.

My very first choice I called the coin flip correctly and won the game and got to go free without a single solitary thing being explained. It’s beautiful.

Incidentally, as far as I know nobody has the replica watch yet that was the one unique thing about the limited edition. So it is kind of hilariously scummy that a couple Marketplace vendors are trying to sell the “limited edition” for $150 (I. E. the standard game with a $110 markup).

Finished this last night in 23 hours. I thought it was a pretty good, but the weakest of the trilogy. Still, it’s similar to Return of the Jedi in that even though it’s the weakest, it’s still awesome. Some of the twists were pretty clever, but I guess after experiencing the first two games they didn’t affect me as much. I loved the puzzle rooms, though there was one time where I knew exactly what to do, but it wouldn’t let me do it and it was driving me nuts. Somehow I didn’t click the sweet spot to get to the correct screen.

The biggest issue this game has is the pacing. The story and puzzles aren’t integrated together as well as the last two games. Instead you get a chunk of story to set everything up, then do tons of puzzle rooms in succession that generally end without much story development, but not always. Then, once all the puzzle rooms are done it’s just story until the end. I also wasn’t a fan of how the characters were split into teams. I wish there was more interaction between the whole group. It was also kind of disappointing how some plot stuff from VLR was ignored, but it did a good job continuing the major plot line started in VLR.

Anyway, great series overall. I’m looking forward to replaying 999 when it gets released on Steam. I really dig Uchikoshi’s work and I’ll definitely be checking out what he does next.

Yeah, the way it just dumps a whole bunch of puzzle rooms on you all at once is really weird and I don’t understand why they set it up that way. I guess maybe there were budget/time issues? I distinctly recall there being no plans for it to exist at all when Virtue’s Last Reward came out, despite the massive cliffhanger ending.

Finally finished this. As usual, the twists are genuinely surprising, and the room escapes were pretty good. The structure makes a bit more sense once certain details come to light (I thought it was awesome when the flowchart rearranged mid-game as the actual chronology was revealed). Not sure I’m 100% happy with the ending. I mean, it resolves things more or less but…mm. As a closing to this trilogy it seems a little pat, I guess.

PS: The reveal of who Zero is is complete and utter bullshit and so gloriously unconcerned with that fact that I could not stop laughing. I mean, the name and relationship of Zero to the backstory is perfectly deducible from the information given (you have to deduce it to get the reveal, after all), but their presence in the story proper? Completely unfair.

I will probably play this at some point, considering I played the first 2 and enjoyed them, but I’m not sure how much I retained from them to get the maximum impact from any reveals. I thought it was fun jumping timelines and working out who was really doing what (even if that shifted between timelines sometimes) but ultimately I probably wasn’t as taken with the games as many of its fans were.

Zero Time Dilemma pretty much tells you anything you need to know about the plot ties to VLR. It doesn’t really bring up 999 much, although two of the characters are from it and knowing a few late reveals from that will add a bit more nuance to how they come across. Most of the biggest reveals are internal to the game itself.

Regarding Zero: Listen to the number of thumps when everyone blacks out after a Q-Team sequence. It’s subtle, but his presence is hinted at the whole time. Still incredibly goofy, though.

I enjoyed the game a lot. Cool characters, cool puzzles. I’d love to see Uchikoshi do more stuff in the Telltale style in the future. I can’t really say more without going into further spoilers.

So, preorder-bonus watches have finally arrived at retailers.

People who preordered from GameStop are able to pick up their watches, and have mostly been doing so with no issues, though some of them are still unfortunately finding their watches are damaged. Hopefully Aksys will get that sorted out.

The Amazon situation is much worse, as it’s been from the start. (There are still people who haven’t even had their game ship, let alone the watch.) Eligible customers are being sent emails detailing a credit to be applied at checkout on a listing for the watch. The watch’s list price is $500, which in theory should be fine because the full amount is deducted at checkout…except this initially resulted in international customers being slammed with around $100 in customs fees.

Enough complaining got that sorted out, so everything should be fine, right? Hahahahaha, noooooope.

If you preordered multiple watch editions, you still only get sent one credit, and I’ve seen reports of at least three different responses Amazon support has given: escalation to another department to get an additional credit within 24 hours (we’ll see), something about additional emails being sent for people who ordered multiple copies (plausible, but the guy who got this message placed separate orders, so those of us who ordered multiple copies in one order may still be boned), or the most likely response, that you’re only eligible for one credit regardless of how many copies you ordered.

This whole situation is a big part of why I’ve moved all my future business away from Amazon. The gross incompetence on display, along with other ways they’ve screwed me in the past (preorders taking weeks to ship, their “combine my order into as few shipments as possible” system grouping orders across several months for a single shipment, et cetera) don’t inspire confidence in future orders, and I’m not a Prime member, so it’s not like I’m invested in their ecosystem.

You would be getting way better results with Prime. But they sure fucked the dog on this. I gave up long ago.

I shouldn’t have to pay an extra annual fee to get basic functional service. If Amazon’s stance is “Prime members are the only ones that matter,” then my stance is “enjoy not having my business.”

I ordered two limited editions and they only gave me credit for one watch. Guess I’ll wait a few days and see what happens. I really like supporting smaller publishers like Aksys and Xseed, but Aksys couldn’t have handled this any worse.

There’s a game called Zero Escape: The Nonary Games out on Steam. Can somebody decode the tangle that is this franchise for me? Is this the thing I want to get if I’ve never played the series? Looks like it’s got the first two games? But is it the good versions of those games? Help!

It is the first two. Can’t tell you about the PC versions, though, as I haven’t played them. You definitely want to play the series in order.

Yeah that is what you want, the first two games in the series. They added voice acting to the first game and also a flowchart. I watched a playthrough and they looked like great versions.

Yes, get that.

the trilogy is discounted, 999, Virtues Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2638/Zero_Escape_Trilogy/

Got it!