Zombasite: New action RPG from Soldak Entertainment

Congrats on the release, Steven! Can’t wait to dive back in to this.

Now let’s talk about Drox Operative 2… ;)

Congrats, Steven. :)

Awesome. Can’t wait to dive back in to this one.

Theoretically I don’t think there is a limit on how many people can play multiplayer, but there are some definite limits realistically. ;)

In multiplayer you basically coop and each play with your own clans in the same world. Not sure what more there is to say overall. You both can play as if you are playing by yourself, or you can group up, meet up, and play together. It’s almost like a tiny little mmo in some ways.

Love the idea of a zombie apocalypse in a fantasy world, and the dynamic nature of Soldak’s games, so will check this one out and hope it does well.

Dear Lord! I’m a huge Soldak fanboi, and this game has been sitting in my “Still in EA don’t play yet” folder. I totally forgot this was Steven’s latest game. I’m excited that’s it’s now released! Congrats Steven!

I’m going to load it up now.

Okay, who clicked the link to buy this from Gamersgate? Forgot that place existed.

I’ll buy it from there… eventually.

I’ve watched Tom’s video stream this week, and found this game quite interesting.

The game is not pretty by any means (it’s just me being polite :) ), the music is forgetable, technical aspects are not great, procedurally generated world has little personality, language is non-literary as much as it is possible to be, and yet… the game could be awesome. A raw gem. So many interesting systems…

I’ve downloaded the demo and started the character creation. Just one question, though, cause I haven’t played previous Soldak games: is there some important difference between them, mechanically speaking? (Apocalypse and infection not counting.)

This is why my group won’t try these games. I keep pushing them over and over again, but I have a chance with this one. They grown at the idea of yet another zombie theme game, but I keep telling them this one sounds different… sounds more fulfilling to me. I am going to have to try.

Version 1.001 is out: patches and changes. This patch fixes a crash, fixes some balance issues, and fixes a bunch of other minor issues.

At first it feels little different from Din’s Curse with some Drox relationships thrown in (which really, it is), but then you beat your first map or 2 and grow your town and start to really understand the mechanics going on there that’s when it really starts to grab you. You’re inspecting people, kicking the worthless ones out who are just eating your food and making sure you’re sending your people on the right mission with the right mix so they don’t die out there and your town and you can prosper.

Here’s an example of when the game really started to click for me. For the most part I had been ignoring (and still largely do) taking people with me when I adventure. It felt like babysitting to me and they didn’t seem that helpful. I then ran into a nemesis that I just could not beat. She would literally kill me in about 5 hits. So much so I wondered if I stumbled onto a random generator bug (I still may have, she was that tough). I then remembered I could take people with me to fight her. I took a level 19 Warrior (somehow - he was way out-leveled compared to me and everyone else in my town - and a priest.

I proceeded to kick her ass - well maybe that’s overstating it. What actually happened is I would whack her a few times and RUN LIKE HELL while the warrior would chase and the priest was doing whatever he was doing (he didn’t seem to be healing me). While running I would chug a potion and USUALLY the warrior would pull agro off of me and give me a breather. I would rise and repeat for the next 5 minutes or so (she was REALLY overpowered). The point is the new systems Steven put in place allowed me to beat her - I would have lost the world without it. Really a rewarding experience.

If you’re a fan of his games like me and you stick it out past the first few towns to really judge what’s different I think you’ll be glad you picked it up.

The whole zombie thing is really a side system (in fact you can disable it if you want) that adds some flavor and throws a few curve-balls at you It’s interesting but the new town mechanics are really what makes this game unique in the series.

You can totally play Zombasite as a party based game. In fact, when you’re playing the squishier classes, I recommend it if you want far less heartache from repeatedly dying/running out of health potions.

Speaking of which, the main drawback to playing it as a party-based game is when someone in your party dies. And the greatest heartache in Zombasite, no matter how you play it, is when some jerkwad comes into your town and kills all your friends. Since your clan is persistent from game to game, and since there’s no way to resurrect them when they die, it’s a sort of enforced hardcore mode. I love it. I mean, I hate it. No, no, I totally love it. Except for when it happens. Then I hate it.

-Tom

the Priests in general don’t seem to have good healing AI in parties, if they can heal at all. Most priests should be able to heal or at least regeneration.

How does it play in terms of control? I might get them pay the visuals but if the control scheme and inventory control looks and feels like Diablo 1 we’re toast. The rest sui B’s great though.

It controls like most of the genre, but it definitely feels less crisp than other recent titles in the genre like Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.

Hmm… Thanks. I might have to just buy this for all of us during a lull for them to try it then.

Version 1.002 is out: patches and changes. This patch adds all levels connected world setup option, makes several things easier for new players, and fixes a bunch of other minor issues.

Can you expand on what that means?

This option makes all levels have a connection to each of its adjacent levels so finding your way to a level will be much easier and take less exploring.