Zombi - ZombiU, but not on WiiU

It’s a current-gen port of ZombiU.

Coming for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

August 18th. Digital-only, so it will likely be a decent price.

Nice. I heard good things about it but I have no interest in owning a WiiU. Hopefully we don’t lose anything by not having a second screen.

ZombiU is one of the only games that made effective use of that second screen. Been ages since I’ve played but from what I remember the second screen was used for:

Inventory management/hotkeying. This was in real-time, so while you were rummaging through your backpack on the second screen, the main screen switched to showing an over the shoulder shot of your character so you could see the nasty Zombi(e)s sneaking up behind you.

Lockingpicking/boarding up/etc. Same deal. Do it on the second screen while things are still happening on the main screen.

Scanning. You could physically hold up the WiiU controller and “scan” the room to locate important things. Lego City Undercover did the same thing. Pretty cool, actually.

Map.

Oh, and multiplayer used the second screen to make one player the “Zombie Master” and the other player(s) the heroes. That was really neat.

Of those features, the map, the scanning, and the multiplayer are the major things that would be missed. The other stuff could be done on one screen.

I remember ZombiU feeling competent but almost like a proof of concept. Needed more fleshing out. And I was actually looking forward to seeing what they would come up with for the sequel. Maybe this version will have extra stuff?

The only “new” stuff noted is more weapons.

It certainly looks better.

Well, not like I have anything to play, Dying Light expansion is probably few months away, I might get this.
Does it have focus on singleplayer and decent story ?

Wonder if the game play will feel ok after the awesomeness of Dying Light. Not sure I can do room to room fighting anymore.

Single player. There’s a story. The big “thing” is that it has a roguelike lives system. Your character has one life. If you die, you come back as someone new. Then you have to go find your former self (now a zombie) and kill it to get your stuff back. I remember the melee being pretty weak.

Unfortunately, as GregB noted, you lose almost everything that makes it special by not having a second screen. :(

-Tom

What if you can use a 2nd monitor on PC?

I don’t care about special. Is the base game good enough to be played on its own, without the screen gimmick? I’m really itching for some survival horror action and this apparently comes out tomorrow (although I can’t find it on steam or any other digital store, for that matter).

I would say no. You’re much better off either playing – or even revisiting – one of the Dead Risings or State of Decays.

-Tom

Get State of Decay - the best Zombie / Base building / Apocalypse rpg I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing.

oh - I forgot to mention, Dying Light, which is the best open world zombie game as well…it just doesn’t feature the basebuilding or multiple characters of State of Decay - its just pretty damn awesome.

I’ve played both SoD and DL and liked them both but I wouldn’t call either one a survival horror.

Have to say I’m a little surprised at the responses, game is almost universally praised over at GAF (Wii version though) so I thought it must be a cool game overall, not just because of the controller.

Why aren’t State of Decay and Dying Light survival horror? Because they’re open-world games? If you’re being strict about the definition of survival horror and if you’ve got a stomach for Resident Evil nonsense, I consider Revelations 2 a guilty pleasure. I sure do like the open-ended character leveling mode.

As for the controller in ZombiU, it’s pretty much irrelevant to the single-player. The only thing it does is force you to look at a separate screen to check your inventory. Which you have to do in other games anyway, but here it’s physically a separate screen.

-Tom

No, it’s not about the definitions at all. I just didn’t feel even remotely scared when I played them :P. Good examples of survival horror for me would be something like Alien: Isolation or Stalker games.

For me, Dying Light is survival horror…during night on Hard difficulty. Otherwise it is an amazing action game.

I am interested in Zombi though, it looks quite atmospheric and the expansion to DL is still far away…
Gotta say the name Zombi is stupid though, everytime I see it I think of this.

Yep, Dying Light really nailed the night and day mechanics down, can’t wait for the DLC.