Zombieland

Was waiting for someone to take the obvious set up before replying, but I just wanted to say that I don’t get the hate. Zombieland was funny. How anyone could watch the Bill Murray scenes and not laugh perplexes me. Ah well…

For some people, the Bill Murray scenes were too… meta? A real actor playing themselves in a zombie comedy just didn’t sit well with some folks. “If he’s Bill Murray, then why isn’t that guy Woody Harrelson?!?”

I did not hate it, it just left me cold most of the time. I loved BM and his castle…

Seriously?

I hope these people don’t watch Entourage.

“If he’s Mark Wahlberg, then why isn’t that guy Jeremy Piven?”

That is likely exactly how they feel. Either everyone is acting or no one is.

Maybe, but the gamer in me just wanted him to upgrade his fucking gun. It’s not like he didn’t have opportunities.

Maybe the double barrel had a really nice elemental modifier.

Hopefully not corrosive, that doesn’t seem to do anything to the zombies in Jakobs Cove…

Just saw it. OMFG, what a fun movie. Right now, I so want to play a zombie shooter with a satisfying shotgun or assault rifle. Gah! If only the weapons in L4D didn’t feel like pathetic pea shooters.

Do you eventually find a shotgun in Dead Rising maybe?

Anyway, awesome fucking movie. It’s the American version of Shaun of the Dead. It’s the United States of Zombieland. Fuck yes.

Spoilers (if you don’t know this by now…)

It was the Bill Murray scene, notably his demise, that finally clicked the light bulb in my head. At first I was shouting, “Why the hell would you try to scare someone who is heavily armed and has been through the zombie apocalypse?!” Soon after another part of me retorted “Because it’s funny that’s why! Now stop taking the movie so damn seriously and laugh.”

And I did. Zombieland is funny. It’s clever. It even has some emotion. I thought the impetus for going to faux Disney was justified. Little Rock needed a break. Obviously not the smartest thing to do but it was worth a try. It’s not a disaster movie, it’s Superbad with zombies. I can dig that. Everything is better with zombies.

BTW I’m real glad that I had no clue about the cameo going into this movie. That was a great payoff.

Watched it last night, and anyone who doesn’t like this movie should be…well, made fun of, at least.

I haven’t laughed that much in a long time. There were very few moments that had me doubled over, but I was consistently laughing through most of the movie, and I don’t think I ever stopped smiling. Woody Harrelson’s charcter was excellent, and the dialogue was a lot of fun.

Both of the girls were awesome in their roles, too.

Also, that credits sequence was so gorgeously filmed. Absolutely beautiful.

“I’m not great at farewells, so uh… that’ll do, pig.”

“That’s the worst goodbye I’ve ever heard. And you stole it from a movie.”

Indeed. Best credits sequence of the year.

There really ought to be an Academy Award for Best Credits Sequence. It would be more interesting than most of the technical awards.

Yeah, I enjoyed the credits sequences in Zombieland and in Watchmen more than I enjoyed most 2009 movies.

Get ready for the 3d sequel already in the works.

Link?

No links needed. You can feel it coming.

Doom is right, but here it is anyways.

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/02/05/exclusive-zombieland-2-coming-by-2012/