Zombieland

“Au revoir, gopher.”

great movie.First 10 minutes were the best, but it was fun throughout.

Just watched this last night. Decent film. Jesse Eisenberg is really starting to grow on me; he’s like Michael Cera’s older, wiser, less-gawky brother. And a certain revered actor in a now all-too-rare comic role was a special treat.

Only 82 minutes, though? Not counting the credits. That’s all they could fill? I’m astounded.

Now that I think of it, aside from the detour to a certain actor’s mansion (I don’t want to spoil it, as it’s arguably the best part of the film), nothing particularly interesting happened. The characters didn’t move much past the caricature stage, and they weren’t given much to do. And until the end, there really weren’t that many zombies, either. And what zombies were there were mostly dispatched in the same manner: Signal them, whack 'em over the head a few times with various implements, and carry on.

I liked the movie, and found it quite amusing at times, but in the end it felt more like a good treatment than a fully-formed film.

Just saw this. Perfect for what it is. Great fun. Not in the same league as Shawn of the Dead but hits good notes. Cerra I think would have brought too much, dare I say, “intellectualism” to the lead. Eisenberg is probably more believable in this completely unbelievable setup.

Much better use of an amusement park than L4D2’s Dark Carnival.

Whaaaa? Since when?

Cerra’s too much of an awkward nerd, and his shitty films would tarnish his role in this movie for lots of people, I think… including me.

Just to be sure, I wasn’t suggesting he could have or should have played this role. I was just remarking on how Eisenberg reminds me a bit of him, with fewer of the nervous tics and less of the awkward stammering.

Yeah. I mean, Eisenberg was basically doing his best Cera impression in Adventureland, like Cera had been the first choice for the role, and the Zombieland protagonist isn’t a huge deviation from that. I know Eisenberg is the older, more experienced actor, but the comparisons are easily drawn.

OK - Finally saw this and have to just say this was fantastic. The opening sequences, the phrases, the rules, Tallahassee, the cameo. Re-enacting Ghostbusters. This was terrific

So much so that even though I had to drag her to see this with me in the theatre, my zombie-hating wife loved it enough that she wants to buy it. :)

The writers from this have been brought in to write the script for Deadpool, and they’re working very closely with Ryan Reynolds, who is a huge Deadpool fan and wants to make sure that everything stays true to his character.

Totally has nothing to do with Zombieland, which was a great movie, but it’s tangentially related and I thought some people might find it interesting.

So you’re saying that some time from now, a movie called Deadpool will come out, and we shouldn’t ignore it just because it sounds incredibly dull from the name “Deadpool”, and sounds like it’s a sequel to “Swimfan”. Got it.

Deadpool.

As long as they pretend the Wolverine movie didn’t happen, then I’ll go see Deadpool.

it’s pre-wolverine

LOL. To save someone else the trouble of clicking on that link, Deadpool is apparently the name of a superhero, who has nothing to do with swimming pools. That has got to be the worst super hero name I’ve ever heard. But then, I don’t read superhero comics, so maybe there are much worse names out there.

Anyway, back to Zombieland: I did like the finale of the movie a lot, in Pacific Playland. Although this is one of those movies where we don’t expect anything bad to happen to our heroes, it was still done really well and each of the set pieces at the amusement park were exciting to watch. Like I said earlier, it made me wish there was a zombie killing game like that with some meaty weapons.

Love it.

I can’t claim anything but superficial awareness of him, but his name being perceived as terrible works to his premise.

Wasn’t that the name of a Dirty Harry sequel?

As an aside for your information; Deadpool is one of the greatest superheroes that any comic company has created. He’s self referential, understands that he’s in a comic, is a complete badass, has extremely overpowered super powers (He’s a Weapon X initiate), and a ridiculously funny humor injected into everything he’s done.

Plus he’s BFF’s with Cable, and that guy’s a fucking powerhouse.

Wow, how did I stumble into the ONE thread on this board where people don’t know who Deadpool is?

SPOILERS!

I watched this at the weekend and loved it. It’s a lot of fun and the tight running time means that there’s nothing in it that seems superfluous - I wish more directors/editors had the same approach.

There were some great gags - Columbus running around in a wide circle after he drops his keys was nice, the cameo was funny even if it was arguably unnecessary* and the dialogue was great - again, I don’t think there was a dud line. I loved that you think they’ve gone with a clichè joke about Tallahassee being a hard-ass but having a soft spot for his dog before later revealing the truth in a nice little character moment.

My favourite moment was a throwaway one - after Columbus and Tallahassee are rolled by the girls they’re walking down the street in a town, recounting zombie kill stories. Columbus accuses Tallahassee of being one of those guys who always has to have a better story; Tallahassee responds “I know someone who’s way worse for that than I am”.

*Just realised that I forgot to add this footnote :( Anyway - yeah, I know that I said there are no superfluous scenes and that it seems as if I’m contradicting this here. But although the cameo stuff didn’t really progress the plot and you could take it out in its entirety without affecting anything that comes after, I still enjoyed it and don’t think the film suffers for it being there.