Zombieland

That was one of my favorites along with “…I don’t get along very well with other people and you seem to be a little bit of a bitch”…I think I got that wrong, but I cannot re-watch at work.

Variety has a review and liked it, suggesting that while it’s no “Shaun of the Dead,” it has its moments.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941244.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

Well, I’m sold. Sure, that was like selling lemonade in hell, but I’m still sold.

I will also be purchasing sweet fruit drinks in hell.

I just saw this tonight as part of the SF Zombie Walk, which has an awesome website at www.eatbrains.com.

We met down at an action figure shop (of all things) near the Westgate Shopping Center in Downtown SF, got zombied up with makeup and scissors for our clothes, and then walked around the block moaning and lunging at passersby before going through the crowded mall into the theater. People were generally interested in us, but many were sortof embarrassed by our presence, or maybe that’s just how it seemed. A lot of them did the city thing of looking quickly at us then looking resolutely away. My brother and I went together, and since he didn’t want to get his work clothes all dirty with fake blood (he’s not a true zombie nerd) we put my belt around my neck and he ‘walked’ me down the street, keeping me leashed like a dog. We hoped we didn’t look too kinky, as we’re brothers and all, but hey, this is SF.

It was weird being human marketing though. I didn’t wear the hat they gave me but I still felt strange using my zombie fandom and involvement with the awesome SF Zombie Walk scene to promote awareness of their film. I probably wouldn’t have cared if more of my friends had shown up, but it was weird lurching down the street with a bunch of strangers half-heartedly pretending to be zombies on our way to a free screening of the film.

Warning: Impressions to follow

And the movie was pretty damn funny. It does the stupid thing of getting fairly serious by the end and losing some of the goofiness that makes the first half so fun, but it doesn’t change tone egregiously. It just does that Hollywood thing of trying to take its story seriously, thinking audiences actually give a shit about another hackneyed love story.

The Woody Harrelson character Tallahassee is fucking awesome, though, and would be SUPER fun to play in a PnP game or to mod into Left 4 Dead. Funny ass childish dude, he meets Bill Murray at one point and just lets out a yell of pure joy and excitement that I couldn’t help but love. He does a hell of a job being a funny, awesome character. Time to nut up or shut up.

How gory is it? Cartoon LOL gory, or Saw cover-your-face gory?

Pretty light on the graphic gore, actually. There’s some pretty brutal hits here and there (a baseball bat to the head of a downed zombie, over and over and over, with big spurts of blood every time) but the crowd just went “DAMN!” over and over, not “AUGH!”

I mean, it’s an R rated zombie flick, so there’s some ropy guts getting gnawed on by bloody zombies, but no head disfigurements or people getting blown in half.

Saw it and liked it a lot. I’d say it’s a good idea to avoid spoilers, but most of the reviews I think spoil two key points about the movie.

Wife and I saw this today, and it was far more amazingly awesome than I ever could have imagined…and I had pretty high hopes going into it. 100% win for me.

Holy crap, this movie was pure entertainment. Just quality, all around. I could go on for hours, but it absolutely lived up to expectations and then some.

Completely agree. I’m fucking pissed at the writer of the review I read that spoiled a major reveal. There’s a special place in hell for those reviewers, with child molesters, and people who talk at the theater.

Although anyone talking in this showing would be forgiven. Everyone was cheering and laughing so hard, I have to see it again just to see the lines I missed.

Why even take the risk of spoiling a movie by having a review put in pre-conceptions before you even see it?

I look at RT scores sometimes if I feel like a movie is something I may be catching up to, but otherwise if half a dozen people on this forum say “it’s good, I loved it, I enjoyed it,” I’ll consider going to see it.

Just saw it. Absolutely adored it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Woody Harrelson, zombies and any combination thereof.

It makes Woody’s comment about still being in character when attacking those paparazzi even more hilarious. I want to see THAT movie now.

Excellent movie, easily met expectations. See this!

Awesome movie. Great casting/acting, since there were so few parts it was especially important and they all nailed it. May even go see this again in the theaters, Woody was appropriately ridiculous.

(Guy four rows in front of me with the Blackberry, now that I’m done posting this on Qt3, I’m coming for you. Start running.)

Caught this in a matinee today and found it pretty damned entertaining.

Question (spoiler):

When they meet up with the Mystery Cameo Person, either Tallahassee or Wichita tells MCP that he’s the 6th person they’ve found alive. Who’s the 5th?

Saved for the DVD extras?

Saw it today and had a great time, though a zombie movie should have at least one character get offed every 15 minutes or so.

Also, there was a lot of electricity still working.

Yeah, I noticed the electricity thing too. What’s the burn off rate for that without intervention? These guys were six months down the line from the zombocolypse, which seems way way too long, but I’m genuinely curious about it now.

As to your other comment, I sort of disagree in that this was a nice change of pace from expectation.

Uh, I gotta go against the grain here. I was bored and confused until I realized that Zombieland is basically an R rated movie aimed straight at the high school demographic, complete with a neatly wrapped feel good lesson about how we all need other people. The preview for the next Twilight movie should have been a dead giveaway. Adventureland was way better. Superbad was way better. Both of those are much closer to what this movie is about than, say, Shaun of the Dead.

If you enjoy teen comedies then you’ll probably enjoy this movie, but otherwise you’re probably better of saving your money.

Not sure what theater you saw it at, but mine only had R rated horror movie previews in front of it. No Twilight in sight…

I thought they were only about 2 months out.

I wondered about the electricity, but I was MORE curious about how they kept a Hummer running for as long as they did. But I guess the electricity situation meant the gas pumps were still running.