Zombieland

I think the movie in no way took the zombie apocalypse seriously, and that means also not worrying much about things like realism. For the record, I loved it immensely.

One of my favorite parts was that, of the -very- short list of credits, one of them was for the clown zombie.

Depends on the area. Those Discovery/NatGeo shows about “life without humans” seems to imply that fossil fuel and nuclear power plants would be on for days/weeks at most, but that something like the Hoover Dam could feasibly go for years until the generators burned out from lack of maintenance.

I don’t think they ever actually showed anywhere that -didn’t- have electricity, in the movie. On the other hand, I didn’t even think about it until the girls lit up the entire theme park (which was a staggeringly dumb thing to do, but whatever, it’s not like this was a dead serious horror flick).

Forget electricity. How does it make sense for serial con artists to instantly decide that they’re all going to be a family now, because the redneck, who is mad at them after being scammed out of everything he owns twice, took one of their guns, and the nerd made a five second speech about how they shouldn’t act like typical Americans any more? The answer to these and dozens of other even more ridiculous things is simple: it’s a teen movie. The point is to tell a lot of staggeringly lame jokes, have some romance, and end with a nice life lesson, not to be plausible in any way.

A. Rakyd, I get what you’re saying, but I don’t agree that it’s a “teen movie”. Zombies are mainstream enough that they don’t have to be a self-contained genre anymore. This is basically a boy-meets-girl zombie movie. A ZomRomCom, if you will.

If you’re looking for certain tenets of a zombie movie – lead characters dying off, the bleak ending, the military response – you’re going to be disappointed. But it’s got enough of the basics down that I’m a bit surprised any zombie fan would be disappointed.

-Tom

I’m hoping it’s the person involved in the “best zombie kill” discussion between Columbus and Tallahassee.

Hmm. Could be. I also considered Mike White’s character, but (spoiler)

I guess he met his end in that bathroom stall.

Also, ZomRomCom - brilliant. And I’m not saying that just to kiss up to Tom.

Much.

Not a slam on Tom at all, but “ZomRomCom” has been around since at least Shaun of the Dead. People used it when talking about the film adaptation of Breathers as well (no idea if that project is still alive).

My theater had a trailer that was obviously supposed to look like the next Twilight movie for about 10 seconds, then revealed itself as a stupid gross-out comedy called Transylmania, which looked absolutely terrible.

Other than that, we had trailers for 2012 and A Nightmare on Elm Street, and I believe that was it.

Man only three trailers? Wow. I had like 6 or 7 as always. I don’t even remember them all. Shutter Island, Nightmare, Saw6, 2012, Legion, and 1 or 2 more.

I was at a small independent, the Somerville Theater in Boston. They rarely show more than three trailers before movies there.

I don’t think I’d ever heard it before, but I figured it was too good to be original. :(

Also, there’s no way Shaun of the Dead gets to be tagged a romantic comedy. It’s a straight-up zombie movie. More so than Zombieland, I’d say. Okay, maybe it’s bromance. A ZomBromCom.

-Tom

Well, he was trying to get his girlfriend back as part of the whole ‘sort your life out’ plot. That was why he left the house, went to hers, took her to The Winchester etc.
Hence the advertising poster and all. And the website being www.romzom.com (I SEE WHAT THEY DID THERE!).

Now for fun try and classify Fido.

I liked this movie. It was just plain funny, had me rolling in several parts. A decent amount of zombies were harmed in the making of the film as well.

Loved the intro too. The music just fit really nicely with the slow mo presentation.

The intro was fucking awesome. Best use of Metallica I’ve seen in the movies.

Also a romzomcom. Did you see the looks Trinity and Billy Connolly’s corpse were giving each other? Oh yeah, baby.

There’s a bit of that, but it’s also kind of a family film or something. I mean it’s kind of Lassie but with a zombie after all. It’s the only zombie movie I’ve seen that can be described as cute.

And it might depend on what time you go. I usually hit movies at early Saturday and Sunday matinees, and I don’t see a ton of trailers.

Also not getting the hate for the soapy storyline as the movie reaches its climax. Shaun of the Dead’s teary-eyed horseshit with the mother was annoying with its melodramatic acting in an otherwise great movie. Even Dawn of the Dead (2004) did a better job at the “kill a family member” scene due to the visual cuts and the great music that was going on.

The “love” in this movie didn’t annoy me at all, and the writers wisely chose to keep out any sobbing “oh my friend is dead, oh shit more zombies” crap. It made for some decent situations to throw in more jokes, too. I didn’t have to sit there wondering why one of my favorite characters just died because they did something completely retarded in a crisis situation.