Zombieland

They look. sound, and act a lot alike, but I don’t think it’s deliberate. Personally, I prefer Eisenberg. To me, Cera doesn’t seem genuine–I always feel that he’s, well, acting (Nick and Nora was the worst example of this, but there are others). Eisenberg disappears into the role and it comes across as real. Perhaps it is, or maybe he’s just a better actor than Cera.

I dunno, I thought it was a great setup for an end-game massacre, but I don’t think it was done well. Like, if they’d at least been playing and got caught by sudden dusk, that’d have been more believable, or if they’d gone in expecting to get a horde of zombies. However, their sudden incompetence and especially surprise that, wow, turning on a bunch of lights in the dark attracts zombies… that ruined it.

Yeah, I honestly don’t believe it’s deliberate on the part of the actors either. Maybe a bit of a deliberate casting trend though.

Jesse Eisenberg was doing movies before “Arrested Development” went on the air. Roger Dodger was a 2002 release.

Yeah.

For me, the problem is that Eisenberg’s last two movies have used his stammering uncertainty for comedic value. He’s a lot less like Michael Cera in Roger Dodger and Squid and the Whale because the moviemakers aren’t expecting you to laugh at him.

-Tom

“I wish you didn’t have so many freckles.”

No, see, Michael Cera sucks at his job. He’s annoying, like that friend you have/had that blinks in disbelief to try to make every situation funnier than it is, delivering every line with a pause as if every morning he watches in amazement as toothpaste exits a tube in some magical fantastic fashion.

This guy is much better at acting like a nerd.

edit: Didn’t read this page before posting, “stammering uncertainty” nails Michael Cera, thank you.

Oh yeah! I forgot that one. I think he plays one of those prequel droids. It’s kind of a coming-of-age film, IIRC.

-xtien

You know, no one on Quarter to Three likes you. Not a single person. Plus, we all think Michael Cera is funnier than you.

-Tom

Eisenberg is so much better than Cera, because he’s not playing up the muttering quietly to myself thing that Cera does. He has the straight up stutter because the cute girl is looking at me schtick, which is better in my opinion.

Maybe if you tried awkward stammering more … It’s not so easy to do with text - but, you know … some of us find a way to pull it off …

I liked that even though Columbus was fairly neurotic and awkward with women, he was still a pretty articulate smartass. I liked his accusing Tallahassee of being a “cock-blocking robot.”

Yes, but I’m charminger. And not at all a dork.

-xtien

P.S. Since you’re editing, might as well drop the ‘d’ from Roger.

“Suck my dick, ass man.”

This was my statement almost to the letter about his role in Adventureland.

Right there with you. When I first saw Adventureland, I thought “Ah. Low-Rent Michael Cera.”

Then I saw a lot more of Michael Cera and realize I like Jesse more.

I was quickly informed that Jesse was around first, but I was exposed to Cera first.

It’s difficult for me to say who I prefer…I can see reasons to like Jesse better, but since I “knew” Cera first, Eisenberg just seems like he’s trying to imitate, in my head.

But I’ll reserve judgment until I’ve seen more of him.

To me, the real telling element is to see them when they are doing interviews or just out in the real world. Michael Cera isn’t acting. There is a reason he plays the same guy in every movie, and its because he isn’t playing.

One actor that falls into the “somewhat mumbly awkward teen” mold alongside Eisenberg and Cera that I do really like is Anton Yelchin. He was great as Byrd on Huff and I really enjoyed his performance in Charlie Bartlett. I’ve always thought of him as “what Michael Cera would be like if he got his shit together.”

What, are you interested in fucking them? Good on ya…

I went to Eisenberg double-feature-land yesterday seeing both Zombieland and Adventureland. I loved them both. The opening credits of Zombieland were amazing.