2016 Summer Olympics in Rio

How can we cancel these Olympics? They are uniting the world in a common belief and shared vision. That’s the whole point!

OK I laughed at that one.

Maybe we could hold the Olympics virtually… Each team competes in its own country for the camera. Then we just compare times!

In a fantasy but an honest one, handing over control to the USA would probably work out, even this late in the game. The USA has the venues and the technical staff to pull it off. Could leave the most manageable third of the events in Rio and allow them to save a lot of face too.

Anyone want to patch me into Obama, the Mayor of Rio, and the President of the Olympics?

In all honesty it will happen at this point, my guess is there will be some minor incidents, some Zika cases, but things will to some extent work out. When I say minor, that means for the rest of us, that is. Probably limb from limb for those it happens to.

I have a question. The health minister said that for half a million people coming to Rio at most just 1 PERSON “might” get Zika because they have so thoroughly eliminated the mosquito risk.

So here’s the rhetorical question. How can the city/state that can’t pay it’s police and fire, can’t clean the literal poop out of the very easy to spot pipes, and didn’t finish a single city amenity… supposedly find every single pool of mosquito larva and exterminate the all, so thoroughly no one is at risk? Yes “winter is coming” to quote Game of Thrones.

But it’s got to be obvious the health minister is lying to not hurt tourist dollars coming in, which is terribly appalling. He also stated infections are “down” but at the same time, they can’t fund and secure the one major hospital for tourists. If they can’t treat their own people, how are they supposed to be tracking Zika amonugst the population? Or is the reality fewer people are getting healthcare which is greatly amplifying the reduction in Zika cases.

Arch Bishop of Rio was carjacked and robbed at gunpoint.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) just released its report on the Russian doping, and they’ve recommended that the entire Russian team be banned from Rio. The allegations are amazing, it’s like something from a Tom Clancy novel… and not even one of the good ones.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/07/18/russian-officials-ran-doping-programs-in-multiple-olympic-sports-wada-investigation-finds/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na

Basically, the report says that the entire Russian Ministry of Sport is in on the scam, aided by - and I’m not making this up - the former KGB (now known as the FSB). Here’s my favorite part:

Cheating athletes were aided by Russian intelligence agents from the FSB – a successor agency to the KGB – who devised a method to crack open supposedly tamper-proof sample bottles in an elaborate covert scheme at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi to replace tainted urine of Russian athletes with clean urine. One FSB agent even posed as a plumber to gain access to the doping lab at the Sochi games after hours, the report stated.

Not sure how that’s surprising. Putin was a KGB officer and the Olympics are basically one of his babies. Of course, he signed off on it.

Wanna bet they don’t ban the Russians, and this just becomes one more reason why this Olympics is an utter train wreck?

Well, the Track & Field Team from Russia is already banned from earlier. Chances are that a couple other sports will follow suit. However, it looks like a wholesale ban is not in the cards:

They do note that they are suspending any IOC-affiliated sporting events in Russia proper, a decision that will affect the Sochi Olympics, and maybe the 2018 World Cup.

Retroactively? :)

I imagine Russia will be completely banned and then every other athlete in the world will contract Zika whilst at the Olympics, meaning in 4 years only the Russians can actually compete.

Heh, yeah my fingers ran away with me there. As the linked article says, Russia is set to host some world championships associated with the IOC in Sochi next year.

As a Chicagoan: no thank you. Simply applying for the games cost too much $$$, holding the games themselves would have broken this place worse than it’s already broken…

Yeah… I mean… I am sure China could have hosted again, or Maybe Atlanta or LA or London again?

Because… c’mon

It definitely seems like the best answer is to have a permanent setup somewhere, whether in Greece or the US. Then just rotate the honorary host and spend all the Olympic money on upkeep/maintenance.

Yes, but then how are IOC official going to afford those dachaus?

http://i.imgur.com/iG0u2NA.jpg

is not the same as

http://i.imgur.com/7SAFWP4.jpg

Wow, is that a tree fort house?

What’s the deal with putting it with a picture of a concentration camp?

Dachau vs dacha

LOL, I’m a terrible speller of English. Don’t even get me started on German.

Thanks for the explanation!

http://i.imgur.com/UVKlEly.jpg