2016 Summer Olympics in Rio

Alternate Thread Titles:
“I went to Rio and all I came back with was this Zika Virus”
“The Olympics Edges out FIFA in the Corruption Finals”
“Mandated CNN story about how Athletes be fuckin”
“Vollyball: Now with 100% more body parts

I am looking forward to watching this literal shitshow. (Like… all of the poop in the water) What a glorious mess this will be. Created this thread to be a catch-all for the games/events/news/controversies. We are less than one month away, with the games starting on the 5th of August.

Super Bacteria Found in Water CNN

So yeah… wowzers.

“It’s a nice sailing area but every time
you get some water in your face, it feels like there’s some alien enemy
entering your face,” German Paralympic sailor Heiko Kroger said during a
recent visit to Rio. "I keep my nose and my lips closed."Kroger believes the super bacteria may have caused a severe skin infection in one of his teammates during recent training.

“I wouldn’t say to change the venues because we don’t know the risks
yet,” Picao said. “We are making this alert because if athletes get
infected there is a chance this bacteria is multi-resistant and the
physicians should know about this.”

How much would it suck if this was your final chance at the games? Multi-resistant bacteria is scary as hell. To risk your health for the love of your sport is going to be a tough call.

Gah, I thought this was going to be about a new fad in skimpy bikinis.

Sadly… nope.

I did run across a picture of the US team’s volleyball outfits:

Looking forward to my quadrennial exposure to televised/streaming fencing, at any rate.

I haven’t yet started looking to see what my streaming options are for the games this time around. Last time, I mostly just fired up a VPN and grabbed a BBC stream. Anyone know if there are better options for us non-cable-subscribers than that?

Hey, we don’t have live TV, does anyone know where one can reliability stream the Summer games?

For the water events I hear visiting your local sewage treatment plant can provide you with the live experience.

This is the first games that I will have cable for! Excited to see all of the stuff across the NBC channels. I don’t know about streaming though.

Saw this.
Some Olympics Events to be Broadcast in VR

I will have to strap in my Gear VR to check some of this out.

I’m thinking one month of TunnelBear and BBC’s coverage, which has generally been far superior to what NBC puts out in the past.

Oh, huh, I’ve got a VPN subscription already. I’ll give that a whirl! Thanks!

[quote=“Jon_Rowe, post:2, topic:120126”]
How much would it suck if this was your final chance at the games? Multi-resistant bacteria is scary as hell. To risk your health for the love of your sport is going to be a tough call.[/quote]

I have that issue kicking around somewhere.

Anyway, Rio. Surely the sports companies can produce a lightweight sporty face filter?

Man what a shit show. The IOC should have moved the games to Chicago.

I read the thread title, went and Googled Rio Olympics, and the first news link is “Rio Police tell public and tourists that they can’t be protected”.

Here is a good roundup of the ongoing issues with the Olympics in Rio.

I mean… for god’s sake they shot their mascot!

The jaguar, a 17-year-old female named Juma, was kept at a zoo that is part
of a military base in Manaus, the largest city in the Brazilian Amazon.She
apparently escaped an enclosure on Monday but was not at risk of
fleeing the zoo. The military said in a statement that Juma had been
tranquilized but was shot after she moved toward a soldier, and that the
action was taken to protect a team that was trying to recapture her.

Continuing to hold the Olympics in Rio is irresponsible at this point.

The kicker? There isn’t an alternative outside of cancelling.

This should have, at minimum, been changed a year ago. Move to a place with existing venues. Anything less than a year, and I don’t think it can be done. But a year ago we saw the shit show (literally) this was going to be. We had a chance.

Plus we had the World Cup. There were warnings there.

And there is precedent, Lake Placid winter Olympics. But IOC kickbacks trump common sense.

We agree on something! Cheers! Let’s have a drink!