Aion Released!

You have to have the spellbook (or orb) in hand to cast a skill (ie. a spell), and the stats of the spellbook/orb may affect this casting. Also, if find yourself near hand-to-hand and don’t want to use MP, you can do a “regular” attack with it–with the spellbook it basically converts a page to energy and flings it at the opponent for damage, or the orb I think actually hits someone with a ball of energy. So some of the stats may reflect that as well.

— Alan

orb

reminds me of this every time I smack someone with it.

Whatever you do, if you’ve never played Aion before, don’t roll a scout for your first toon. You will be appalled at how weak you are and probably break something.

you mean like how invincible you are??

scout is weak til lvl 5, and just gets stronger from there, you can kite any melee mob without dying nor cooldown as a ranger later on, just need to master the forward kite/Jump shot.

“Stronger” is relative to every other class. My cleric was “invincible” from level 1.

I would literally have quit the game before level 4 if I’d played a scout initially. Terrible, terrible design.

it’s somewhat a curve, you might be strong early on, but you get weak as you level up higher like a chanter, or you can be strong all the way through like a sorcerer, or you can be weak and get really strong like a ranger, plus scout isn’t bad once you get backstab, you can backstab even in combat.

No shit. To inflict maximum damage as a pre-ascended assassin/ranger you have to dick around with positioning, forcing an evasion so you can stun against mobs for the certain surprise attack, etc, while every other class can deal more damage, more reliably without any of that stupidity. It’s bad introductory design any way you look at it.

you don’t have to go for the stun.

wait until mob start their attack animation, run through and hit backstab.

it’s not rare you 2 shot a mob if you land a crit on the backstab.

I had an easy time with the scout in beta. Was killing stuff in 1/5 the time my cleric can. Cleric can take on +5 level mobs but you don’t need to do that to finish quests. I enjoyed trying to flank mobs constantly with the scout.

not having any problems at all with my scout, level 12 now and having a blast

I broke down and bought this. Quick thoughts:

Tried to hop on a server one of my buddies is on, Zikel(?), and there was a two hour and forty-seven minute queue. Awesome. So, I figured I’d try Lumiel. One hour and forty-three minute queue. You have got to be kidding me. I ended up rolling some practice 'toons on Kaisinel(?) and, after I got used to the glidey-skatey running, I had a fine time.

I started with a Scout and dicked around for an hour or two. Then I deleted him at level six and tried Mage. (I have some OCD issues with creating 'toons, don’t ask.) Did that for a level or two and called it a night.

-I’m paralyzed with choice in the character creation screen, that’s going to be a problem.

-Quest text is kind of a pain in the ass to read, font-wise, but I bet there’s an option to change that. I dig the hyperlinks in the text though, and the Locate This or whatever button. Good stuff, that.

-It sure is pretty.

-People sure are stupid.

-I’m not sure how I feel about the gathering, and having to click the same bush three times, and watch three progress bars, to get three berries or whatever. Can’t you just give me the three berries the first time I click it? Grief potential there.

-It sure is pretty.

-Combat and sound effects are definitely JRPG style. However, I had a lot more fun than I thought I would after reading certain reviews.

-The hardest part is going to be training myself to not think in WoW terms.

-The interface is absolutely useable. I had no frustrations whatsoever trying to figure things out.

Now, I’m going to bed.

Scouts are okay, that’s what I started with. You basically just treat them as fighters where you have to think/position a bit more, but most of the things up through Ascension you can handle fairly well, though you might have to use a few buffs here and there for some of the slightly harder opponents (like Scar).

Once you get a bow though it’s off of being bad ass (though pay attention to which skills require you to be stopped and which don’t, as you may want to move around a bit and keep the opponent from you).

Scout classes against ranged weapon mobs (especially magical ones) can be horrific if you don’t have the proper resistances and skills set up however.

BTW speaking of gathering, if you’re interested in crafting don’t throw away all your stuff from 1-10 levels since that’s the basic stuff you use to craft when you Ascend and can actually get slightly more difficult to find in the 10+ zones (that is, if you’re interested in crafting any of the early available stuff to any great extent). The Fluxes are probably the ones you should keep the most.

— Alan

I’ve been eyeing the Ranger too. I enjoyed playing a Shadow Warrior in War even if they were weak. Supposedly the Ranger makes up for weak DPS with high burst damage, and in high levels is a very strong class because it can make the most of the mobility from wings.

I should be on Azphel in the next few days once my CE copy arrives.

Actually, I just checked the Wing trader in Pandaemonium, the level 30 wings cost 968,000 Kinah and increase your flight time by 30s, no speed increase. The CE wings are free (well, Kinah wise) and increase flight time by 40s.

You also get a hat with nice stats, 5 doses of 20% xp boost for an hour (which I’m saving for later levels) a snazzy spell effect ring, an earring with nice stats, a title that gives you decent stats, and some purple dye.

IMO definitely worth the price.

The CE wings actually have more flight time than the level 50 wings.

http://www.theaionwiki.com/aion/guides/wings-guide

Level 10 - One minute of flight(60 seconds).

Level 30 - +30 Seconds of flight time(90 seconds total).

Level 30CE - +40 Seconds of flight time(100 seconds total).

Level 40 - +60 Seconds of flight time(120 seconds total).

Level 50 - +35Seconds +120HP(95 seconds total).

The level 50 wings have a HP buff, so it’s not a direct downgrade, but the CE wings have the most flight time in the game except for the level 40 vendor wings which are around 10 million kinah. They’re a pretty great bonus item that you’ll likely be using even at max level.

Using a Treadmill and Wiimotes To Run and Fly in Aion

The queues are starting to really annoy me. It’s not getting better, it’s getting worse. I don’t care what their excuse is, I’ve never had to wait 2-4 hours in a queue in any other mmo. Is it too late to split servers now?

Here on Siel the queues are roughly 40 minutes at peak time- I hope I did not picked the doomed ghost town server…

So I rolled Asmo on that server that Athryn mentioned, and holy crap the chat sucks. It’s the worst parts of WoW trade chat, except there’s more of it. And it’s all in the Find Group channel. Awesome.

Wow’s first week was worse than this, it was almost unplayable.