Games Journalism 2016 - The Force Awakens

Let’s start with a favorite source of “Oh, you!” journalism threads:

Kotaku presents Inside The NSFW World of Fallout and Skyrim Nudity Mods.

Let’s see what goodness 2016 will bring!

That didn’t go very deep at all. That hole goes pretty far.

They actually interviewed the people making the mods and went off into some places I did not expect. I think it’s legit gaming journalism.

Well, its more of expectations I guess. It probably is legit coming from anyone who hasn’t visited the Nexus. When CBBE came out for FO4 and you were logged in, the entire front page of FO4 Nexus (top files) was plastered over with this stuff.

And it doesn’t touch the really really NSFW stuff that never makes it to Nexus.

It can still be an interesting piece without plumbing the depths of depravity lonely nerds get up to.

Jeez, the article has a giant diagram demonstrating a vagina transformation mod… now I’m afraid to look at Nexus and see what they cut out.

Is this a “Yay!” or “Boo!” category? You decide.

Like a one-term president we’ve had enough of, we’re ditching the Yes/No/Not Yet review system we’ve been employing for the last four years. What was meant to be a defiance of review scores became a review score. We don’t like review scores. Away it goes.

We’ll be keeping the rest of our review system intact, including the review box in which the Yes/No/ Not Yet used to appear.

I like it, but I know people really like scores so I wonder if it’s the wrong choice from a business point of view.

Maybe they’ll end up doing like CGW had to do and bring the scores back in a couple of months because everyone BITCHES ABOUT IT CONSTANTLY. OK yeah, I guess I’m not entirely impartial here.

Just makes me appreciate Tom’s system and I wish more would take it up. Kotaku’s yes/no/maybe is not quite granular enough. A choice of five ratings allows more granularity without falling prey to the 7-9 problem we often talk about.

Still, requires commitment to use the entire scale.

A 5-point scale devolves to:

1- Terrible, don’t buy it
2- Also terrible, just not the worst
3- Pretty bad, don’t buy it
4- Pretty good game, you should buy it
5- Great game, buy it!

No different than a 3-point scale, really.

The reality is that in a world with a lot of choice, people will generally only choose the best-rated products. There’s no reason to take a gable on a 4-star game unless you’re particularly attracted to something about it, like its subject matter, developer, etc.

In the minds of many, sure. You can say that with almost any review. Even ones without an explicit score. People as a whole just reduce them down to Yes/No.

The reviewer just needs to use their full scale and stick to that.

Buy it? Who cares?

Is it worth my time?

Truepcgaming has an interesting scale - “Is it worth your money?”, with a “Yes/No/Maybe” answer.

YAY LET’S DEBATE REVIEW METHODOLOGIES AGAIN

Which is still dumb, because what’s worth a lawn-mowing teenager’s money is not the same as what’s worth a single 40-something software engineer’s money.

Review scales are often dumb and arbitrary by definition, but they’re still useful shorthand so long as the author and the reader agree on what the scale means. That’s literally the only thing that matters, though I understand that it’s important for a certain subset of people to clutch their pearls for pages on end about 7-9 scales and “using the whole scale” and whatever else the latest battle cry is.

Tired of the review scale debate? try this!

Brendan Sinclair, senior editor at GamesIndustry, says Microsoft is only hurting itself by not sharing Xbox One sales data.

Clearly, Microsoft has backed away from reporting straight-forward sales figures of Xbox One hardware because it believes they won’t look good compared to Sony’s PS4. The company’s right about that, but this tactic is just baking in the narrative that this generation has been all about Sony eating Microsoft’s lunch. By keeping secret numbers it once publicly shared because of the PS4’s performance, Microsoft is essentially forcing us to view this generation in terms of Xbox One vs. PS4, with one winner and one loser. One company is shouting its sales figures from the mountaintops with great frequency, while the other is hiding its figures in shame.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. In 2013 and 2014, even as the PS4 was off to a historically hot start, the over-arching narrative of the generation was that consoles were back, that reports of their demise had been greatly exaggerated. Honestly, that should still be the case, and if Microsoft embraced a little more of the Phil Spencer-styled straight talk that helped the Xbox One turn around those bad first impressions, we’d have another possible lens through which to view this generation. But as long as Microsoft insists it’s in a direct competition with Sony where there can be only one winner, it’s going to be right about that.

I give that article a “worth reading”.

It was definitely worth what I paid for it.

How about this? Lightning, the character from Final Fantasy, was recently featured in a Louis Vuitton ad.

The Telegraph “interviewed” Lightning about her modeling.

What does it feel like to become a Louis Vuitton ambassador?

My clothes were nothing more than armor to stay alive; “dressing up” was a concept I’ve never had. Perhaps that makes me an unseemly choice as ambassador. But this experience has opened my eyes. Fashion isn’t something you’re taught or given, it comes from your own taste and your own choices. It displays the essence of who you are to the people around you.

It makes me feel excited, a feeling similar to when I venture to unknown lands. It is a thrill that I, who has faced my share of danger, have never experienced before. LV is a new adventure―a new fantasy―that I will enjoy from the bottom of my heart.