Hardcore Henry - First Person Shooter: The Movie

New trailer out there.

The movie may be terrible, or it may be good, but it will be unique. I’m in, if for no other reason than to admire how they filmed it.

http://nerdist.com/hardcore-henrys-first-person-pov-will-make-it-your-new-favorite-action-movie/

“We were lucky enough to screen the film a few weeks ago, and man — Hardcore Henry is not. messing around. It’s like The Raid and the church scene from Kingsman: The Secret Service has a really, REALLY f–cked up baby. And while the first-person perspective could easily become gimmicky, here it is insanely effective. Amidst gorgeously choreographed, brutally violent fight scenes and chase sequences, you lose track of the movie itself and start to feel as if you, in fact, are Henry. Pumped full of adrenaline, you’ll find yourself impressed, disgusted, overwhelmed, and entertained by the nonstop chaos as you/Henry make your way from rooftop sniper scenes to a bloody brothel to haunting abandoned buildings in Moscow. When the credits rolled after 90 minutes of breakneck pace, I realized I was clutching the theater seats and holding my breath. Yes, it’s that good.”

I am so glad I will get to see it in a month and a half :)

Bump for the fools like me who might be searching for it but not having it come up in the onsite search…

Getting right around 50% on rotten tomatoes but audiences are running about 75% enjoyed it. It seems like the major complaint is that it’s a bit of a one gimmick movie but on the plus side some seem to think it’s a pretty cool gimmick. Think I’ll take the teenage son and make a go of it this weekend.

I have a feeling that I’d be involuntarily twitching my keyboard and mouse fingers, frustrated that Henry won’t look or move how I want him to.

Saw it. It’s pretty much exactly like I expected; a first-person shooter come to life. The ‘plot’ and dialogue and escalating series of fights to get the the big boss are all bog standard. That said, it was actually pretty entertaining. And extremely violent and gory so don’t make the mistake a couple of movie goers did in our theater and bring the little ones. Like the better first-person shooters it walks a line between taking itself seriously and giving you the nod and the wink. And it’s actually pretty funny at times. Your sidekick, Jimmy, has all the best lines. It’s evident that they didn’t have the biggest budget to work with but I think they did a good job of it all in all.

My first thought when I hear ‘Hardcore’ is to bring kids ;)

I’m guessing that the “protagonist” is probably several very fit stuntpeople. No need for a star’s “face”, so you can just get the fittest, most agile stunt people you can for each neat trick :)

It does look cool, but on the other hand, I’m really starting to get a bit bored of gratuitous and amoral ultraviolence in movies these days (although for some reason it still feels fine in games), it’s starting to feel like lazy pap.

I suppose I’m just transitioning to old age.

Heh. Yeah, I had sort of the same feeling come over me while watching it on the screen. Like, I see this all the time in games and it doesn’t faze me but somehow seeing it on the screen is way more visceral.

In addition to some crazy gun/'splosion/gore scenes which were pretty cool/instense on the big screen there were some ‘parkour’ like elements that were very nicely done as well.

This was disappointing. What I assume might very well have been impressive stunt work was completely wasted on the limiting and disorienting perspective. I’m all for a well executed gimmick, but the first person POV here was a problem, not a novelty.

Also, the frequent quick cuts seemed wrong. I don’t mean disorienting cuts in the middle of the action, though that happened sometimes, I just mean the quick skips in time that seemed unnecessary. I get that the movie wasn’t going to take place in real time, it was just a constant skipping of a second or two here and there instead of clean breaks between scenes/settings, and it interrupted whatever immersion the POV might’ve been accomplishing. I don’t begrudge having to cheat the format, but things like chasing “Slick Dimitry” across town through the streets and across that bridge should’ve been as uninterrupted as possible, instead we’ve just got random blinks and cuts right in the middle of a straightforward chase.

Basically nothing here worked for me, and then by the last third I was starting to get queasy. So yeah, disappointing.

This was pretty close to my take. Great pacing, action, stunts, and some interesting uses of the cast. Intense thrill ride.

This didn’t work for me at all. The POV gimmick is enough to sustain maybe 20 minutes, but after that I need a character to care about, and there’s just nothing here.

I have read a few things related to this move and every time I go to the movies I see a new commercial for it. As long as this movie progresses in its production and after its release in theaters I believe the fan base for it will expand further. This is something that no one has ever seen before so I can understand how some people will be skeptical. I can honestly say that I believe its going to allow a new opportunity in the movie world. The story line is not what I’m interested in with this movie it’s the new first person action, I’m sure a lot of people can agree with me on that fact. It’s the first movie of its kind so their will probably be things that makes it viewers confused or lost. Who cares, the movie industry is finally making something that thousands of millions of people have been asking for years. They have opened their ears and have finally decided to take a chance in something that people have been screaming for. So even though some people have been skeptical I believe that there are more people out their that are more than ready to go see this movie. All I can say is that we will have to wait and see what the movie will bring forth and if people will actually be interested in a first person movie experience. To add this is something I do believe should be made into virtual reality experience.

ಠ_ಠ ?

d[ o_0 ]b

Remember that trash mid 90s movies Screamers about a bunch of autonomous chain saws that end up evolving into doppleganger killing machines?

I people have been screaming for a movie like this, I predict they’ll soon stop. Or studios will go “Wait, why are we listening to those guys? They’re weirdoes.”

Yeah, it’s a neat trick but it’s no 3-D or nothin’.

Just came from the cinema (surprisingly half of it was full, I expected to be there alone with a lady…oh and nobody left during the film, so I guess motion sickness worries are overblown as always).

Amazing action ride. I had a lofty expectations, what with seeing Bad Motherfucker three years ago and proclaiming it to be the best music video ever made, and it fullfilled those expectations. The script is surprisingly good - yes it is simple and it doesn’t explain everything (like Henry’s history or main antagonist’s origins) but it worked really well - no cringey or facepalmy moments (which was a nice change after Batman VS Superman which is I now realize pure diarrhea considering its scope and budget in comparison to Henry’s), the antagonist was charismatic and fun to see, Haley Benett was great and GOD DAMN SHARLTO COPLEY I love this guy so much and this is his best film for me. Some really cool nods for videogame fans, violence that doesn’t hold back, AMAZING soundtrack underlying every single action scene, functional (rare) quiet moments, oh and of course the stuntwork is just out of this world. I have no idea how first time 29 year old director who also wrote it, starred in it, composed and sang its credits song managed to make this film for 2 million USD when it looks like it cost a cool hundred, but I am fucking glad I pitched in on Indiegogo and helped get it made, in that small way at least.
If I had one complaint, it would be that sometimes the viewpoint is a bit too shakey and hard to orientate in, but that comes with the territory. It is still an incredible achievement.

Hah, just listened to the qt3 podcast about Hardcore. Glad to see you guys liked it too. Makes me sad so few people saw it.