How much sleep do you get?

I would say 6 or 7 hours a day. Seems to work out fine for me.

5h20min average according to sleeptimer, which works out to short nigthts around 5 on six days a week and one long night to catch up on weekends.

Not enough, not healthy and not really a good way to go through life - too tired most of the time and I keep wanting to change it.

6-7 weeknights, anywhere from 9 to 13 on weekends.

Something in the order of 6-8 hours. So, six hours average with an SD of 3. It can be much less depending on work, whether I’m required to go in for some urgent blood test or whatnot to be done, such as if a guy happens to be sleeping on a road in the middle of the night and gets run over by a four wheel drive.

Does length of sleep matter as much as quality of sleep? Best sleep I’ve ever that I can recall was being put under a general anaesthetic. Most days however I wake up feeling tired and crummy, by midday I manage to perk up.

I’m only slighly better than you and have the same pattern. Ill hazard a guess its probably for a lot of the same reasons.

<scooby doo villain>
I would have gotten eight hours of sleep if it wasn’t for you darn kids!
</scooby doo villain>

5-6 hours though I’ve been trying to get more. This is hampered by not having light blocking shades in my bedroom and a cat that believes as soon as the birds start chirping, I should be awake to rub his stomach.

1am to 5am or 6am on weekdays. I usually sleep in later on the weekend.

Usually around 7 hours. I can’t complain about my sleeping habits. Luckily I don’t rely on an alarm clock to wake me up at 6AM. My internal clock does a great job.

Sleeping in is not an option in my home. If the kids aren’t up by 7am, the dog is whining to go outside by then. Sometimes there is a perfect confluence of still groggy kids who are awake enough to let the dog out but sleepy enough still to stay quiet, and my wife and I might then see 8:00am in bed on a Saturday. That’s rare though.

Weeknights I try to go to bed at 11:00, 11:30 at the latest. 6:45am is usually wake up time. This averages out to be 7 hours. I answered “8 +/-1” on the poll, though in reality it probably should have been “6 +/-1” for me. My goal is to try to stay closer to 8 than 6.

Like someone else upthread mentioned, I find I sleep better when I drink a tall glass of ice water in the hour or so before bed. I’m also one of those lucky people that can literally fall asleep within seconds after getting into bed. Sometimes I’m asleep before my eyes are even closed all the way, as my wife has reported me sleeping with my eyes open on numerous occasions (which freaks her out).

Sleeping no later than 1.30 AM on weeknights and up at about 7.30 (might snooze for ten minutes or so). It helps if I actually wake up a little before the appointed hour and then just lie in bed and plan my day.

On weekend it depends on my activities, but the average is also around six hours, with the to bed and waking up hours varying wildly.

1am-6am 5 days a week, weekends really vary between 4and 10.

I just got ten hours last night. Fighting a sore throat and decided to take the Sleep Like Crazy approach. Went to bed at 9:30 pm (kids actually both conked out before 9 pm, which doesn’t always happen these days) and woke up at 7:25 am. And damn if I don’t feel a lot better today!

(Of course, our toddler son did wake up crying in the middle of the night because he needed to pee… but fortunately taking him to the potty and then right back to bed worked fine. And let’s not get into the various nightmares I had, one of them involving a fellow Seattle parent and friend who had – in my dream – become homeless, with his whole family, due to the recession… <shudder!>)

Still it is a huge blessing that the kids are sleeping in until 8 am these days if we let them – we are now attending the 11 am church service on Sundays because it facilitates greater sleepinitude :-D

My kid woke my up at 6:50 on Sunday. Prior to breeding, the only time I’d be up within two hours of that on a Sunday would be if I had a plane to catch.

The thought of sleeping in on weekends again is the only reason I’m looking forward to him someday being a teenager.

Anybody here ever tried Polyphasic sleep? It’s one of those things I’d like to try out when I’ve got a month off and nothing better to do.

EDIT: This guy made it sound like a really awesome psychological experiment on yourself, if nothing else: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

I’ve tried to get into biphasic mode a while ago - you are supposed to get a 90 minutes sleep in the evening around 7, and then 4.5 hours of sleep some 5 hours after that (the theory being that 90 minutes is one complete sleep cycle so you should always sleep multiples of that time), for a total of 6 hours (or 7.5 hours if you sleep 6 hours the second time).

Well I had no problems sleeping for an hour and half in the evening … and then for the full 7+ hours during the night, so I gave up on that idea.

I’ve noticed that if I sleep time divisible by 90 minutes I’m more awake, so I subscribe to that theory. I’ve also noticed that the time I get up sometimes matters more than the number of hours I sleep. For instance, sleeping 7 hours and getting up at 9am feels much better than sleeping 8 hours and getting up at 7am.

I tend to sleep +/- 3 of 8 hours. But ask me what time I actually tend to go asleep, now that’s the money question. My sleep routine is so messed up from working late into the night several nights a week but having to be up at 9 for college all semester.

Frequently I’ll stay up for 36+ hours at a time just to attempt to reset my sleep schedule, but I’ll be messed up again within a week or two.

I chose 8 +/-1 because I need 8 or very close to 8…too many nights in a row of 7 or less will invariably lead to a migraine which really sucks.

I inherited that from my father and being a good dad I gave them to my daughter…her main and possibly only trigger is lack of sleep.

I’ve been using Sleep Cycle for the iPhone, and it’s freaky how well it works. I was pissed off when it went off this morning at 6:05 (was hoping for closer to 6:30), but had zero trouble getting up. As opposed to this weekend when my son woke me up in the middle of REM sleep and I was tired for hours.

I can easily handle 6 hours sleep, but if I get less, I’m totally bombed, if I get more, I can do up to 7-8 but the result isn’t any better. I have tried sleep cycle, it was great until the cats ran on top of the bloody thing setting it off.