Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender & Marion Cotillard

New trailer for upcoming Macbeth movie directed by Justin Kurzel. One critic quote says it’s “visually stunning” so you know you’ve got to see it!

And it was a British critic and it’s Shakespeare, so you know he has to be right!

Aaaaaargh!

Did we really need this?

It won’t be better than the best version of MacBeth ever made.

But it’ll be different, and you can’t have too much Shakespeare.

I’ve found that I really enjoy Shakespeare renditions in many forms, most recently Coriolanuswhich was incredible (In no small part due to Ralph Fiennes, whom I think is one of the really big dramatic actors these days), so I really look forward to this!

Very true, I’ll watch every Shakespeare adaptation I can get my hands on. At their worst they are still better than most other movies.

I wonder if the called it “the Scottish film” while it was in production?

So, is this a reboot?

No, it’s a prequel:

This is now streaming on Amazon Prime and it’s very, very good.

First off, yes, it’s gorgeous. Fassbender and Cotillard are both fantastic and Kurzel makes some novel and clever choices in the way he adapts certain scenes. (The movement of Birham Wood being the best example.)

I liked it well enough (watched it on the theater), but found it a little dry and soulless, honestly.

I agree with you it’s gorgeous and well acted, but the editing focuses on the wrong things, imho, and the movie feels leaden and there’s not enough emotional access to the characters. It feels a little too in awe of the source material, unable to make it feel real.

Not a bad movie at all, but I got the feeling it could have been so much more with somewhat small tweaks.

Watched it because it is a 99c rental on itunes. I didn’t know much about the source material (absorbed through cultural osmosis, I was never force to read Macbeth in school), but as a historical drama, it is pretty good. The cinematography is great but the real star is the Scottish highlands.

yeah, a somehow tweaked version was released in the 70’s … still great.