Miami f*cking vice!

Just to add:

THIEF=AWESOME
ALI=LAME

and I thought Collateral was pretty damn awesome. In fact Ali is the only Mann film I haven’t absolutely loved.

And I’d rather watch Manhunter than Silence of the Lambs any day of the week.

Nor am I, but by my math:

HEAT = AWESOME
MANHUNTER = AWESOME
THE KEEP = AWESOME
COLLATERAL = OK
MIAMI VICE = LAME[/quote]
It’s been a while since I took math, but how does a list of movies that have been almost always “awesome” and at worst “okay” = that director’s next movie being “lame”?[/quote]

Extrapolation?

Now, I love me some Michael Mann - heck, I even liked Ali well enough - but Thief beats all his other movies to a bloody pulp with a very large stick. It’s James Caan acting like King Fuck for two solid hours. Like this:

Urrizi: I’ll tell you something, I’m gonna be on your ass so much, you’re gonna get careless. And on that day I’m gonna be in that place.
Frank: And that, is the last place that you wanna be. 'Cause no matter what happens, I will never, ever take a pinch from a greasy motherfucker like you.

See? Badass.

Speaking of Michael Mann, two movies from the 80s/90s that aren’t Mann but make me think of him are To Live and Die in LA and White Sands. I remember both very fondly, but have a feeling that if I were to watch them to day I would be bitterly disappointed, much like I was with Heavy Metal.

To Live and Die in LA stands up reasonably well. What the hell happened to William Petersen’s career?

You mean besides being on the number one hit show in America?

You’d think he could’ve parlayed Manhunter and To Lie and Die into something in the intervening 15 years.

Yeah To Live and Die in LA holds up really well and the car chase is still spectacular.

Box office disappointments (which both were) don’t typically help you land starring roles.

Miami Vice was one of the series that were “cool” in the day. There was also (earlier than MV of course) Magnum P.I., but MV was fun to watch.
Basicaly, what Bill said.

Now, if it is going to be a good movie or not, I hope it is. Then again, I didn’t like at all the movie S.W.A.T but I did like Daredevil.

What Michael Mann really needs to make is a Crime Story movie. Hi! You left us hanging at the end of season two there back in the 1980s! Wrap up the story, willya?

Like puffy hair in the 70s.

Miami Vice also brought actual songs to TV shows. Before then you mostly had fakey cover versions.

Admission: I bought a white suit in the 80s to go to a wedding. My Italian girlfriend demanded it.

I didn’t even know this was being made. And now I’m wondering why it’s being made, especially as a modern remake. The only thing that people remember about the original show was the 80s setting, so it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to ditch all that. Wouldn’t a sequel with the original leads set present day make more sense, draw more interest? I’ll never understand these remakes that completely ignore the original shows or movies. I prefer the Shaft approach.

Original was the coolest show to watch at my high school back in the day, too. I was never that big of a fan, though. Only episode I really remember is the Ted Nugent one with “Little Miss Dangerous” in it.

It could be worse. Instead of being serious, it could be a remake like Starsky and Hutch.

I remember one of the big deals of the TV show (which I watched and enjoyed) was that, like, their clothing would always match the walls they were standing in front of. That’s arty! Best of all, it had Edward James Olmos as their badass boss, way before he became the badass he now is on Battlestar Galactica.

I don’t get this movie though. I agree with Brett here. Woulda been at least somewhat interesting if it was the original characters, later in life or sumpthin. This just seems pointless to me.

Dukes of Hazzard made money.

To me the property is irrelevant- I’m interested because its a Michael Mann crime movie. I’m sure the original IP helped get the movie greenlit but I’m estatic that its not an update or parody.

That’s a good point. I’ll hope for the best, but expect the worst. By which I mean, another SWAT.

I can’t imagine why the hate for MV… I’m with Bill… I just remember all the freaking cool shit I saw on it… The gunfights, the awesome tunage.

Hell, the intro is even full of T&A.

Now, as to whether I could watch it again, I think that answer lies with the ATeam and McGyver.