Mystery Science Theater 3000 Kickstarter

Kickstarter for a new season! Goal is $2 million by Dec. 12. About $927,000 raised so far.

Edit: Crap! I searched for a thread on this, but forgot to search for the abbreviation, and I can’t find the option to delete the post. :(

YOU’RE A BAD PERSON, JASON LEVINE. WE WERE HAVING SUCH A NICE DISCUSSION OVER THERE, TOO.

Thanks, Armando. I feel much better about the whole thing now. ;)

Repeat to yourself “It’s just a post, I should really just relax.”

Looks like Netflix will be the home of the MST3K Kickstarter episodes.

MST3K lands at Netflix

Sweet! Glad it’s headed someplace that high-profile.

Dan Harmon, Joel McHale and Bill Corbett are writers, and Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Mary Jo Pehl will make cameos. (I see that one website has Harmon and McHale as “guest writers”, whatever that means.)

Dan Harmon seems like the ultimate MST3K writer to me. The obscure jokes from the original show are my favorites, and Harmon always put lots of that kind of thing in Community.

For me, Corbett and Harmon might balance out the bad choice of the Daily Show guy on the writing staff. Although, I suppose if the Daily Show guy can hold off on the politics, he could be OK. I would hate for my favorite silly, sarcastic humor show to go political.

He’s also part of The Flop House podcast, which shows why he’s a good fit for MST3K.

Yeah, don’t jump to any conclusions on Elliot Kalan. He’s a great, great choice. Listen to The Flophouse and you’ll see. Er… hear.

I assume Corbett, Harmon, and McHale will be guest writers for one episode. Pretty sure staff writers on the show are a full-time position, and those guys have other projects.

Yeah, Kalan seems like a really good fit for MST3K. He’s definitely the biggest movie nerd in the Flophouse trio and frequently taps into that experience; and he’s certainly funny. If only he stopped singing…

It’s hard to imagine a better choice, really. He’s the funniest host of the funniest bad movie podcast. And, you know, a seriously talented TV comedy writer.

Elliot sings as well as most of the old MST3K cast, barring Kevin Murphy.

Plus, these days we have auto-tune!

WARNING: Puppet nudity in above link ^

I’ve listened to about 130 episodes of The Flophouse and believe me, Elliot is a funny guy with a huge love of movies and there’s never even been a whiff of politics on that show that I can remember.

Plus, I mean, he must be doing something right if he used to date Anne Hathaway!*

(*that’s a Flophouse joke. He didn’t.)

I am totally jealous of your forum tag.

How many times have you been arrested and thrown in jail?

They only arrest you and throw you in jail if you’re caught.

Alright, my sister tells me that she heard an interview with Kalan in which he allayed the fears of many people he had heard from (not just me) that MST would get political. He said that it absolutely would not. I’ll give it a chance. I just really dislike politics, and with the recent presidential choices, I think I’ve come to hate it even more, which I didn’t think was possible.

So, just a reminder, but the bulk of the discussion on this topic took place over here:

I’m not sure how you “get political” about, say, Manos Hands of Fate.

“Ah, so Torgo subscribes to the Roger Ailes school of seduction!”

It seems like comedy is, at its core, always a little political, or am I reaching? I guess, maybe not knock knock jokes.