Qt3 podcasts & TuneIn Radio

I asked Tom what he thought about a thread discussing the idea of adding Qt3 podcasts to TuneIn Radio (and maybe making it actually happen if there was interest) and he expressed surprise that I was even asking, so here I am. :)

For those who aren’t aware, TuneIn is a popular multi-platform audio streaming app/service. I use it on my desktop, laptop, Android phone, tablet, Fire TV and now my new Echo. I mostly listen to actual radio stations (they currently have over 100,000) but also occasional podcasts (millions available). The basic service is free to listeners, who can optionally create accounts or upgrade for premium features that I’ve never personally used. No annoying ads or interruptions, great user experience overall.

To get a podcast added, the podcaster merely needs to fill out an intake form and wait a few days for vetting and such.

Intake forms page (click on the podcast link, duh)

Assuming there’s interest and Tom’s on board, he – or someone on his behalf who has the required items below – would want to use that form once for each podcast (just Games and Movies, right?) and have the following ready:

They also ask for standard stuff like email and phone number, and for some reason there’s a Twitter link field as well.

Open question: Do we title the podcasts “Qt3 Games Podcast” & “Qt3 Movies Podcast”, or do we spell out the site name fully? Beyond aesthetics and branding, there are also voice-enabled device considerations. For example: “Alexa! Play Q-T-3!” (hard to misinterpret) or “Alexa! Play Quarter to Three!” (is that to a 2 or a to? A 3 or a three?).

Let me know your thoughts, oh hivemind!

Oh, and there’s also a provided “Follow” button and embedded player. I think the former is available for both podcasters and radio streamers, and the latter just for radio streamers, but that’s just a guess. Worth asking for clarification in the intake form.

I vote “Quarter to Three”. Its hard to get the “Oh, shit! I stayed up waaaaay past my bedtime” playing, listening, or watching from the other permutations.

Fair point, I’m persuaded by that logic.

Wish TuneIn could provide a short name alias, might be worth asking them about that.

Hey @tomchick, what do you think of this idea? Would you have time to fill out the TuneIn intake form above at some point? (Probably best if they receive the request from the site owner rather than, say, me.)

Yep, I’ll definitely register us for that, and I’m happy to do anything to make it more convenient for folks to listen. Should be pretty straightforward. Sorry I haven’t gotten to it earlier.

-Tom

Terrific! No rush here of course. Should be a very straight-forward process. Choosing logo and banner images will probably be the only tricky step.

All right, Tom, here’s your first annoying reminder! How’s it going? Need help facilitating/coordinating or whatever?

This morning I was able to say, “Alexa, play latest TED Talk.” and then quickly, “Alexa, Jesus Christ, no, play previous TED Talk!!?!” and had no problems!

Imagine if we had such freedom and flexibility with the Qt3 Podcasts.

Ah, yes, I could use help figuring out the feeds for just the podcasts! This:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/QuarterToThree

…is the feed for everything. How can I specify the games and movie podcasts? It seems each entry needs a specific feed.

-Tom

I think the links may be:

But we’ll be chatting soon (or I with stusser, or something).

So I filled out the forms to submit the games and movies podcast. I’ll post here when/if I hear anything back.

-Tom