Saints Row 3

Hunh. From their claims of “we’re taking it somewhere completely different” I expected … well. I don’t know. Spaceships and flying cars, I guess.

I’m not sure in a post-Ballad of Gay Tony world (the one where you in fact do not do any pizza delivery (or taxi. or whatever delivery) missions but almost immediately get control of an attack chopper and blow shit up) that this is truly something different …

I’m still going to play it of course. :P But I was really hoping for flying cars!

The first two games took place in the same city, so I just took “we’re taking it somewhere completely different” to mean this one won’t take place in Stilwater (which was apparently loosely based on Chicago, but I never saw the resemblance).

Excellent. Yeah, I’ll get this even if the port isn’t better than that of SR2.
(I hope it’ll be better, though)

rezaf

I’m totally stoked for this. The second game was concentrated gaming AWESOME. Just plain ol’ fun.

If they work in some of the destruction from Red Faction: Guerrilla? Holy shit.

I just finished TBOGT and you’re wrong. There is in fact a food delivery mission while doing favors for celebrities at the club and plenty more of those are just shuttling them from point A to point B. There is also one main story mission (Blog This!) which has nothing happening between cutscenes except driving Tony from one point to another. Depending on whether or not driving a boat counts, you could say that for Ladies Half Price too.

I really like TBOGT. I think it’s the best installment of GTAIV yet. But it’s got nothing on Saint’s Row.

I really liked how Volition brought a little Red Faction crossover in with Saints Row, especially the second one. Would like to see more of that.

One of my favorite easter eggs ever was finding Shaundi’s audiolog way up in the mountains in RF:G. Who would’ve thought rabid, untreated cockhunting could get a person marooned on Mars with an advance colonization party?

I was hoping they would blow out the gameplay concept to something more grand, like more development of the gang control … It sounds like it could be going that way, but it also could easily end up being the same clutch of missions but with a more global flavor.

Which would be fine.

I’d like to express thanks for having both Saints Row and GTA to play…

…assuming the PC port isn’t completely fucking awful this time.

If I can still make a character who looks like an overly busty Eliza Dushku and have her commit horrific crimes while wearing thigh high boots, a sling bikini and a cowboy hat, I will be happy.

I couldn’t get myself to create a female character in Saints Row 2, considering I’d be playing as a cross-dressing transvestite or as someone who got a sex change? They never specify do they? Either way it was weird to consider that I’d be playing the same male character as Saints Row 1, but who now looks like a woman.

Btw, if you did that, did the returning characters from Saints Row 1 ever remark on the change or do they just roll with it? I did a lot of random things in Saints Row 2 but I never actually advanced the main story at all, so I don’t know if recurring characters ever realize you’re the same person.

Nobody gives a shit. Except you, I guess. I’m pretty sure that if you play a female the game’s creators are fine with you pretending that you also played a female in SR1 even though the option wasn’t there. I never played SR1, so I just figured Nikola Bellichik had always been a girl. At no point in the story does anyone comment on your gender. Most dialog is done in the second person, so there’s not even any need for gender indicative pronouns.

Though if the notion of accidentally playing a cross-dresser (or a transgender, ew) is that scary to you, I’m sure SR3 will happily allow you to play a guy that looks like Charlie Sheen, wears a penguin costume with a top hat, carries a chainsaw and speaks with a bad cockney accent.

So basically just the real Charlie Sheen.

Awww, really? Come on! It was actually kind of amusing, the way they set it up.

I’m pretty sure that if you play a female the game’s creators are fine with you pretending that you also played a female in SR1 even though the option wasn’t there.
Heh. Actually, I first heard about this from someone at Volition about how some members of the team were so tickled at the prospect of you playing a cross-dresser or transsexual in Saints Row 2.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know they never reference it in the cutscenes. I was just curious to know if they actually were blatant about it. I guess not.

Back to Saints Row The Third: I hope you can eventually get a jetpack.

I’m still kinda vague on what all of this means myself. One one hand it sounds like you’re about to go to global war with a global crime faction, maybe taking the whole neighborhood battles thing up to the next (ridiculous) level. On the other hand…they only mention going to one new city?

What does it mean to have all this “top of the world” power in Stillwater if I’m going to get shuttled off to, say, Jakarta? Or…what? Huh?

I’m still buying it. Just sayin’.

Shit, this is shaping up to be an expensive year.

SR1 is probably the most fun I’ve ever had in a video game, ever.

Even the Don gotta have a next rung up the ladder, homie.

Basically, they want to skip the whole “Scruffy Thugarelli” aspect (zengonzo’s term) where you’re a millionaire with a huge gang still running trivial aspects of your business personally. So presumably the missions will all start at a level of strategic importance, and involve you leading your gang right from the start. It’s been a longstanding criticism even of sandbox crime empire games that get the player empowering aspect mostly right like Scarface.

Yeah, sorry, I guess I didn’t mean there’s NO filler bits at all - just that you get to the more meaty parts much, much, much faster. My recollections (I played it a bit ago) were of a much faster delivery to content, and I guess I glossed over the required fedex mission(s).

I’m also reasonably sure there will be missions in SR3 where you still have to get from point A to point B. There’s just no going around that in an open world game. Of course in SR2 the cutscenes were mostly filled with batshit insanity and explosions, whereas GTA’s are filled with … angst and “edginess” with a touch of snark, most of the time. I’ll take the SR approach ;)

Oh, and there’s no comparison with respect to minigames, at all. I don’t think anyone would argue that.

Day one purchase!

The first two were too much damn fun to sit on the sidelines or wait for a sale. I couldn’t be at peace knowing I could be playing whatever crazy shit they made up this time around.

I guess I’ll have to see how it plays out. I’m just wondering what it means to be a big boss man in a city where nobody knows who you are and most of your guys are, presumably, back home running things. How is that different than being a nobody working his way up? There may be an obvious way this works that just eludes my fuzzy lil noggin right now.

I’m excited. Preorder for sure…unless the PC version is going to be significantly better than the console this time around, in which case I’ll just grab it off Steam or something on day one.

The Saints Row games, to me, always struck the right balance between being a snarky, over-the-top parody of the mysoganist thug-worshipping GTA genre while still firmly delivering all the things that make that class of games fun. They just don’t take the story and the game seriously, but they absolutely take the gameplay seriously. In many ways they’re easier to “get to the fun of” than the GTA series.