10 Most Important Games

A Fork in the Tale ?

That’s it.

All of those FMV games were terrible

Generally, I’d agree. But I thought Fork was pretty funny. And the first SWAT game wasn’t bad, either. :)

Peter

Congratulations! You win a copy of any Dreamcatcher adventure you want. Er, not from me, though.

I’d always meant to pick up a copy of Fork in the Tale once it hit the bargain bins, but that window of opportunity went by too quickly. (What can I say? I liked Deuce Bigalow.) I think FMV still has its place in gaming, especially after seeing so many cutscenes awkwardly rendered. I can’t seem to come up with a specific instance of disturbing, rubbery CG characters, but something like Freelancer would’ve been much better with even a B-List cast of actors. Let’s see if C&C3 brings moderate-budget video back into fashion.

Get out.

I for one can’t stand all this “It must be rendered in-game!” and “It’s more immersive in-game!” nonsense when 99% of game animations simply don’t cut it.

So you’re arguing that it’s MORE immersive to remind people of this inadequacy by using pre-rendered cutscenes?

While you’re actually playing you’re less likely to give a damn cause you’re busy, you know, doing stuff than when the action pauses to give you a plot point about the foozle or whatever.

Yes, because when a prerendered cutscene comes up my first thought is about the quality of the animation :rolleyes:

I think FMV games usually refer to live action sequnces, not pre-rendered cutscenes.

I had never heard of this game. It’s the latest review by Tim Rogers, clocking in at almost 6 hours. I’ll try to make my way through that review this week.

I am a patreon of his. And he delivers! Since he got rid of the Kotaku shackles he can go all in. I mean ALL IN.
(I watched his Doom review, twice).

It seems like there should be a thread on here for posting/discussing YouTube (or whatever) videos about video games (unless there is and I’ve missed it). This sort of thing doesn’t quite fit with the Games Journalism thread, the Twitch thread, or the self-promotion stream thread. It would certainly make sense than having poor @Rock8man search through the forum for references to obscure Japan-only games to link ornately constructed Tim Rogers videos. Plus, I see other people post Jim Sterling videos and probably others too, so it should see some regular use.