10 years of Atari Vaxmail

Saw this link posted on twitter today

http://www.textfiles.com/games/ATARIMAIL/

10 years of Atari Vaxmail from 1983 to 1992

There’s some fascinating reading in there. Want to know how much a sound chip for arcade use cost in 1984? It’s in there.

To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
Subj: COMMENTARY…

Franusic has some valid points. However, what Atari does not need right now are quitters. I’ve seen Atari make many mistakes and I am sure that I will see many more, but, Atari is a large corporation and it is good to remember that Large corportations may stumble, but they seldom fall.

There will be plenty of time to decide to quit if Atari really shows signs of colapsing. It is true that things are not what they used to be. Games are not as popular as before. The markets are glutted, both Consumer and Coin-op. That glutting cannot go on forever, however. There is a product lifetime which, once past, even the best products (for their time) cannot be sold. When the video game companies (Atari included) can no longer dump their excess inventories of old games (hopefully this will not take more that a year,) then new games can begin to go back on the market in a controlled fassion. When that time comes, we must be prepared with some VERY GOOD, VERY ORIGINAL products.

Entertainment is not a fad, but repetition does not make for good entertainment. The game industry must stop cloning the old games. We must come up with original concepts. It does not necessarily mean creating bold advances in technology. It means taking bold advances in our imagination. If we can achieve that, then a games sucess is assured.

John Seghers
Consumer Software

From: KIM::MARGOLIN 9-AUG-1984 16:44 To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK What’s the difference between Atari and the Titanic? The Titanic had entertainment.
As well as some non-gaming gems

CC:
Subj: THUMBS DOWN

WELL I DECIDED TO SPLURGE FOR NEW YEARS EVE. I MADE THE RESERVATIONS MONTHS IN
ADVANCE. I CALLED AHEAD 1/2 HOUR BEFORE TO SEE IF THEY WERE BEHIND SCHEDULE.
I WAS TOLD ABOUT 10 MINUTES. SO I SHOWED UP ON TIME. I WAITED 50 MINUTES BEFORE
I LEFT. ALL I RECIEVED WAS VERY INSINCERE APOLOGIES, AND THE STATEMENT (I QUOTE)
" WELL BY THE TIME YOU GET ANY WHERE ELSE IT WILL BE JUST AS LONG A WAIT".

SO WHERE WAS THIS, YOU ASK. A DIVE CALLED “LE MOUTON NOIR”

THIS PLACE HAS GOOD FOOD, BUT I REFUSE TO WAIT FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING
REAMED OUT IN THE POCKET BOOK. GOOD FOOD DOES NOT MAKE UP FOR AN ATMOSPHERE
OF HOSTILE SNOBBERY.

P.S. THIS IS NOT A SNAP JUDGEMENT, AS ON A PREVIOUS VISIT FOR A SPECIAL
OCCASION I WAITED MORE THAN AN HOUR AFTER BEING SEATED TO RECIEVE
(AN ADMITTEDLY GOOD) DINNER.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Well worth reading through if you have the time.

I like the endless bickering about the bonus structure in 1984, and the kvetching about the bad 2600 ports.

Can someone just post the good bits?

Weird sense of deja vu - it’s kinda like reading the emails in Deus Ex, but not as funny…

Hahaha, exact same thing here. I couldn’t figure out what this felt like, but yes, reading emails in Deus Ex is exactly it :)

I am looking for the following items at a good price:

• PC/AT motherboard, 286 or better, 12MHz or better, (under $90)

I like this one:

There is a good one in there about Chris Crawford and his book The Art Of Computer Game Design. Basically the coin-op division guys are wondering what a “home or computer division” guy could possibly know about game design.

Same as it ever was:

We’re talking about the same Chris Crawford who couldn’t design a game that is actually playable, as opposed to one that has “interesting ideas”, if you held a gun to his head, right? Because if so, that seems like a really good thing to wonder about. The guy is an insufferable blowhard whose head outweighs his talent by at least three orders of magnitude.

My (ancient) rant on this topic: Tea Leaves: Chris Crawford's Games Sucked. Interestingly, about half of the people in the comment thread are (or were, at the time) game designers.

Yes, the very same. His game “Excalibur” for the Atari 800 ate 100’s of hours of my time, but nothing after that ever interested me. He’s a hero to me because he encouraged Atari to unleash the documentation for the Atari 800 so 3rd parties could make games.

SO WHERE WAS THIS, YOU ASK. A DIVE CALLED “LE MOUTON NOIR”

I had to look, and even though they closed recently, it seems they outlasted Atari, guess word of mouth either doesn’t work or is just really REALLY slow.

Originally Posted by KIM::FXL
Subj: The first annual Jeff Boscole Memorial letter

…Yet when I told people that the message (“programmed by Franz Lanzinger”) appeared in level 10 in the coin-op version I was told to take it out, or I loose an amount of bonus to be determined. Boy did that make me mad !!!

Indeed

The original source of the Atari emails is here and also includes some memos and status reports, as well as a discussion of the background of how the emails were used/stored/saved.

These things are strangely compelling.

Also, Franz Lanzinger will be the Distinguished Guest at the August 2012 Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas.

I thought this was quaint: They install an obscure, little-known build system called ‘Make’ on the VAX.

For any programmer who builds game programs in bits and pieces (and for those who would like to but get a bad taste in their mouthes), there is now a .COM file for you. Called MAKE (as in SYS$SYSDISK:[UTILITIES.COM]MAKE.COM), it will compile your new sources or any with errors and link them together into the game program.

Bits and pieces! I guess in 1983 writing a game using multiple source files was only something only the most eccentric architecture astronaut would do.

My favorite.

As for credit on the games…Who cares???

How many of you sit through the credits at the end of
a movie or TV show. How many of you read every credit
in a book?? Who is the best reporter for the S.J. Merc.??
Damned if I know!!! Part of me says “yea, credit might
be nice”, but then I think about it a bit longer.

I use to joke about a credit screen, with 50 or so names
running up the screen after each game:
Designed by:
Programmed by:
Engineered by:
Graphics by:
Animation by:
…etc

Gads!!! What a bunch of junk!!! I really don’t care if
my name gets on the screen or not!

If that guy still plays games, I wonder if he unconsciously grinds his teeth in sublimated fury when credits roll.

This one is nice. And dire.

Subj: THE FUTURE AT ATARI

[I]LATELY THERE’S BEEN SOME CONFUSION OVER THE “ORGANIZATIONAL
ADJUSTMENTS” THAT WE’VE BEEN EXPERIENCING HERE AT ATARI.
LET’S PUT IT ALL INTO PERSPECTIVE …

AT THE END OF 1983, ATARI ANNOUNCED LOSSES OF OVER 500 MILLION
DOLLARS. THERE WAS SOME TALK THAT THESE LOSSES WERE ACTUALLY
CARRIED ON THE BOOKS OVER SEVERAL PRECEDING QUARTERS, AND THAT
MR. MORGAN WAS SIMPLY GIVEN A FRESH START. THE FACT REMAINS
THAT ATARI HAS BEEN, AND STILL IS, LOSING AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF
MONEY, ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY COCAINE IMPORTER’S HEAD SPIN.

THE HOME COMPUTER MARKET HAS FALLEN FLAT ON IT’S FACE.
PEOPLE FINALLY REALIZED THAT THEY DIDN’T NEED A HOME COMPUTER
FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT PLAYING GAMES. MOST OF THE PERCIEVED NEED
FOR A HOME COMPUTER COULD ONLY BE ATTRIBUTED TO MARKETING HYPE.

THE GAME CARTRIDGE MARKET HASN’T BEEN DOING MUCH BETTER.
WE ALL HEARD ABOUT THE BIG HOLE IN THE GROUND WHERE THEY
BURIED THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF “DEFECTIVE” CARTRIDGES.
WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED WAS THAT OUR TOP MANAGEMENT “EXPERTS”
OVERESTIMATED THE CARTRIDGE MARKET BY SEVERAL MILLION UNITS.
MEANWHILE, SYNERTEK AND STEVIE-BOY ARE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY
TO THE BANK $$$.

AND THEN THERE’S THE COIN-OP MARKET. LET’S STOP KIDDING
OURSELVES. SOME OF US WORK 10, MAYBE 12 HOURS A DAY ON
GAMES WHERE THE BEST WE CAN REALISTICALLY HOPE FOR IS
A TOTAL PRODUCTION OF 5000 UNITS. THAT WORKS OUT TO SOME
VERY MEAGER BONUS-SPLITS, FRIENDS.

FEW SIGNIFICANT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO RECTIFY THE
SITUATION FACING ATARI: WARNER REPLACED MR. KASSAR
WITH A CIGARETTE EXECUTIVE.

UNFORTUNATELY FOR MR. MORGAN, HIGH-TECH ELECTRONICS IS A
HIGHLY DYNAMIC AND VOLATILE BUSINESS TO BE IN:
THE MORTALITY RATE FOR HIGH-TECH START-UPS IS VERY HIGH
COMPARED TO OTHER INDUSTRIES. MR. MORGAN’S EXPERIENCE
LIES IN THE VERY STABLE AND WELL-ENTRENCHED TOBBACO INDUSTRY:
IT’S A REPLACEMENT MARKET WITH TEENAGERS REPLACING THE
LUNG-CANCERED OLDSTERS.

CIGGIES AND GAMES
ARE SORT OF THE SAME…
LITTLE SQUARE BOXES
THAT TEENIES GET HOOKED ON.

WHAT THIS ALL BOILS DOWN TO FROM AN “ENGINEERING”
POINT-OF-VIEW IS THAT IT’S PROBABLY TIME TO GET ON
THE VAX AND UPDATE THE RESUME. AND CONSIDERING THAT
THE REST OF THE INDUSTRY IS NOW IN THE 16-BIT AND 32-BIT
WORLD, IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO ENROLL IN A FEW GRADUATE
COURSES. ( HOWARD SAMS JUST DOESN’T CUT IT ANYMORE ).

FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE RECIEVING BONUS-SLPITS,
IT MAKES SENSE TO GET LAYED OFF RATHER THAN QUIT, BECAUSE
IF YOU GET LAYED OFF, YOU ARE LEGALLY ENTITLED TO ALL
BONUS MONEY THAT YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HAD YOUR EMPLOYMENT
CONTINUED AT ATARI.

… HOWEVER, THINGS MAY GET SO BAD HERE IN THE NEAR FUTURE
THAT IT WILL BE BETTER JUST TO QUIT …
[/I]
Really like the ciggie/game analogy.

Cigarette boxes and Atari cartridges are rectangles, not squares. Stupid Atari, doesn’t even know what shape its own games are.

I’m kind of intrigued by the territorial battles with the coin-op group and them wanting more control over the home console releases. I can see how as the originators of a lot of the games, the coin-op group would want to protect the quality and image of the games in general, but I can also imagine the home console developers being resentful of another group butting in and trying to dictate terms regarding hardware that they themselves are not limited by.

And I wonder if that same kind of thing goes on today, between the main console, portable, Facebook, etc. versions of a game…