18 million people tried to use Steam at the same time

On January 8th, Steam hit 18 million concurrent users, a new record for Valve’s PC gaming service. (18,363,471 to be exact at around six in the morning Pacific Time.)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/01/09/18-million-people-tried-use-steam-time/

I don’t suppose there’s a reliable way of knowing how many people were playing online total, as opposed to just steam.

Or how large the hobby has become. Figures?

And how many gamers are using consoles and PCs. How many one or the other exclusively.

I’m very curious.

Well done steam I guesa

So I normally stay logged into Steam. Is it counting me? I’m not really doing anything or even checking the app.

I’m curious how many are actively using PS Plus or Xbox Gold in active online games too for comparison.

Yeah. When my comp is on so is Steam.

Yeah I launch it almost every day whether or not I play or not just to get updates and see sales.

How does that compare to League of Legends?

Yeah, that’s counted as concurrent users, I’m guessing. But it also means Steam has a huge user base now. That’s a big market to sell games to if you are an aspiring indie game maker.

I had better make an indie game real soon! Nobody else has thought of this!

Yeah, sell them at $0.99! I’ll be in line to buy :)

I still maintain Valve will acquire PlayerUnknown. If they don’t, perhaps the reverse will happen.