2017: Whither Democrats?

I like the end… “I wasn’t going to vote, but now I am going to vote to teach those liberals a lesson for how terrible they treated Kavanaugh!”

Things are looking promising in the Maine gubernatorial election. It is one poll and the pollster (Pan Atlantic) has a mixed reputation for accuracy but one of the candidate’s internal polling shows a similar point spread.

Maine experimented with Trumpism when it elected Governor Paul LePage eight years ago and then went all in when they re-elected him. Just as the nation has followed Maine into the dystopian world of Trumpist governance, perhaps we shall awaken the nation from that fever dream by electing Janet Mills.

I think LePage refusing to enact that Medicare expansion–twice, right?–was when a lot of Maine-ers realized had their eyes clear.

Found this to be interesting:

That’s amazing. It’s likely it may come to naught, but Heidi DID stick her neck out and voted “No” on Kavanaugh, and Democrats stepped the f— up to make sure she wouldn’t hurt for ad time to get her point of view out there.

My (probably vain) small donation was one of them.

Heitkamp, since her “NO” vote, raised $12.4 million total. And $7.5 was small-dollar individual donations.

Which is just remarkable.

I donated to her as well, but a few days later

Not trying to be a downer, but it never fails to gross me out that so much comes down to who raises the most money. Still, you play by the rules you have not the ones you want. Promising.

One of the interesting things to consider when looking at the funding numbers this late in the process is the so-called “Market-Driven Polling”.

Meaning that in the closing weeks of a political campaign, the money typically flows to the person that neutral investors have decided will win. This late in the season, there is not much that throwing money at a given campaign will do (the ads have mostly been purchased and air-time reserved; the lawn-signs have been printed and distributed, etc.), but the professional lobbyists and influence-seekers feel they can still buy influence with big-dollar donations.

So look at the funding numbers going forward as polls. The candidate bringing in the most money is the odds-on favorite of K-Street.

Barack, in his element.

This article in Politico about Florida brings hope - and one quote in particular causes me a little concern:

Trump is expected to visit the state at least twice, according to two people familiar with the plans. Visits from several Cabinet members are likely, as well. Presidential text messages are being sent to Floridians who still haven’t cast their absentee ballots. And discussions are underway about blanketing the state with robocalls from Trump.

Bolded emphasis of mine for my worry. Can he really send text messages to everyone who hasn’t voted? Has any QT3 member in Florida received one?

Beautiful.

I’m currently in Florida, the campaign ads I’ve seen are straight up vote republican, didn’t even say who, or the Boogeyman Democrats will get you.

Pretty messed up if the President can abuse that system like that though.

I got a text with his name on it. I mentioned it elsewhere. I’m sure it wasn’t him or anyone in the WH. It was a random number. I blocked it. Does that mean that morons won’t know that the president isn’t actually texting them? You decide.

He’s right, this does pop up literally every election that I can remember going back to 2006.

It’s just aging/faulty tech. Check your ballot, be smart.

Yeah, that old chestnut is a regular feature of every election.

Which is one of many reasons we should only use paper ballots.