2017: Whither Democrats?

This budget would cause the sort of crash that would lead to a Dem wave, unless it happens in 2021 and the Dems get blamed for it.

All hail our Goldman-Sachs overlords! The swamp is drained, long live the swamp!

Quist’s closing campaign ad in Montana is all about the AHCA:

If you’re not a top 5% income-earner in America, you are voting against your own best interests if you vote Republican, in fairness.

That guy knows what he’s doing. No idea if he has a chance in hell, but that’s a good campaign angle.

“Did you know over half of Montanians have a pre-existing condition? They’re Christian Conservative Republicans.”

Yeah, I’d be a terrible campaign manager…

Great ads though. You go Rob Quist!

That’s just silly. We should ignore the rule of law and the Constitution to try to win an election? We should let the GOP and Trump do whatever they want because it will help us at the polls in 4 years? No. We should do what is right and in the best interest of the Republic and the world.

Now it’s possible that nothing will happen until 2018, but delaying for political reasons is another thing entirely.

Isn’t this kind of what the illusion of the american dream has done to people. Everyone sees themselves as “destined for glory” if they just work hard enough, so obviously they do not envisage themselves to be poor and distraught on welfare in 5 years, no, they’ll be a millionaire in 5 years time - so why should they pay money for the lazy wellfare queens stealing their hard earned tax dollars! If you only put in an extra 10 hours a week at work, surely you dont need more than 4 hours sleep a night, just take some pills or red-bull to stay awake, keep working, you’re destined for great things, if Oprah can, so can I!

Luckily I’ve resigned myself to a [diminished] lifetime of lower-middle-class wages with increasingly sparse benefits! So voting D is very easy ;-)

I’m not sure I agree with this. I think this is moving toward a boiling point where the only option for this Republican house if they want to even attempt to retain control is for them to remove Trump. Every day it seems like new information points toward both obstruction and collusion. It’s easy to say that people have short memories, but the more that comes out the more it seems like the Republican Party as a whole could be seriously compromised if they try to cover for Trump through 2018.

Yes, Democrats need to attack on the issues. That’s where voters are hopefully going to be increasingly aware that we’re headed toward basic service disruption for every day Americans because of this nightmare we’re living daily that is just getting started. A lot of Trump’s plans are right in line with the Party’s goals and the more you can point out to people that it’s only in rich folks’ best interests and not their own, the better!

But if I’m an R today, and I believe the news (which obviously many don’t…), then I’m definitely thinking about the fact this guy is setting up the entire Party to be painted with a brush of corruption and potentially even treason. How do you recover from that?!

True. But if the GOP impeaches Trump, then they lose the Trump voters forever. Those voters will never turn on him, and it’s not like he would be gracious in defeat.

They’ll just hope he decides not to run again in 2020.

I guess the question then is how many of the Trump voters are truly Trump voters or just voted for him for all the other reasons… he’s different, he’s the Republican, etc.?

The longer this goes on, the more I think the actual Trump people… the ones who truly think he can do no wrong and those that burn crosses… are a much smaller subset of those voters than we know. Are there really that many people out there who truly believe in all these awful things he has bubbled up to the surface? If so, aren’t we all screwed anyway, including the R’s that impeach him? Isn’t there a place to make stand for human decency in there somewhere?

The question is: how strong is the alternative reality media bubble that the DT voters live in. If they as a group really believe nothing Russia-related is true, that Wikileaks saved the country, that the sore-loser Democraps are attacking their president unfairly out of spite, then there is no reason for the R. congressmen to do anything. No matter what illegal, crazy, or incompetent thing he does even in full view of live press coverage.

Only the voters’ perception of reality matters. There is literally nothing DT can do which is so illegal or so scandalous that congress “must” act, unless it impacts into their voters’ consciousness somehow.

Don’t k now about the other claims, but they certainly believes this:. the liberal snowflakes are just sore losers and now they’ve attacked the president to a level no one has seen before!

Impeachment can also include a ban on running for future public office , though that requires an additional vote.

Personally I believe the DT voters are so far gone that no impeachment will come period- and that the Dems best strategy is to make it about stopping those folks from hijacking the entire country- which means showing how insane and evil the Republicans are in general.

If this strategy fails, then secession needs to be on the table for CA and other blue states, just to avoid being dragged to ruin with the rest of the US.

Our best bet is when these services are stripped away and the people that are suffering suffer even more because… that group might actual learn they sold their souls and didn’t even get silver for it.

I hope you’re right, but you’re underestimating the capability of these groups to double down. It is sheer tribalism.

That’s a pretty good ad. It’s not Bernie’s America ad (which still brings me to tears, over a year later), but Quist is doing well with very limited resources.

Really good analysis from a month back. The subhead is a little misleading today; the DCCC is now the largest single donor to the campaign, at over $340K, but that’s a pittance compared to Gianforte’s funds.

Um… WTF?

No? NO? Are you fucking insane?

Treason isn’t the answer.

It’s only treason if you think Scottish independence, Quebec sovereignty et al,* are also treasonous movements. In a more charitable light, it’s the right to self-determination. It’s what the thirteen colonies wanted, after all…

*even Gibraltar!