2017: Whither Democrats?

We need to change things so that those states no longer have such an oversized influence.

Seriously, FUCK IOWA RIGHT IN THE FACE. They fucking elected Steve King… repeatedly. Iowa is not representative of anything.

Have you considered, perhaps, abolishing the Senate?

:-D

re:

Who knows if anything will or should come of it, but I have to tip my hat a bit to old-person “fuck it”-ness. I admire that point in a life when you just say what you think and everyone else be damned. It’ll be fun if I get there. Maybe a compensation for all the prostate stuff.

When it comes to the GOP, Iowa doesn’t matter. They elect the most “religious” idiot on the list every time.

When it comes to the Democrats, it’s a different story though. The bump Obama got from Iowa made people realize he could win a national election.

Which is weird really. Some Democrat has to win the Iowa Democratic Caucus, because it’s a Democratic Caucus; but that doesn’t mean the Republican Iowans hace endorsed that guy. Yet you see that argument every election year, ‘X is a better general election candidate than Y because X won the South Carolina primary’. Dude, the democratic candidate ain’t going to win South Carolina.

Not that weird. It showed that white mid-westerners would vote for a black man. Before that it was kind of assumed that they wouldn’t and that trying to run one would be suicide.

It’s relevant if a candidate can win in a state, generally speaking. Of course in other states it completely irrelevant. That Pat Buchanan can win with Iowa Republican Caucus voters means absolutely nothing because they’re mostly insane. Anyone with an R next to their name can win with those people. Democratic Caucus voters aren’t nearly as monolithic. They’d be considered more akin to Blue Dogs than anything and if they’re fine with a candidate, it’s a plus in their column.

Too soon?

Deval Patrick is going to say he’s not running either, as soon as tomorrow perhaps.

I miss Franken in a way that I don’t miss people like Louie CK.

That article is so funny, they quote a democrat who thinks he was treated unfairly, then a republican who (shockingly) thinks he doesn’t deserve a chance. I’d believe this more if their affiliations were reversed, but it’s all partisan, all the way down.

“There’s a big space here for Al Franken,” Jacobs said. “And it may well be the right timing because we’re past 2018, moving to 2020. Franken’s gifts as a communicator, his ability to counter Trump, plus that extraordinary donor base, are and will be in high demand. Plus there’s genuine remorse among progressives (who think) that he was unfairly treated, too harshly treated.”

“Even after being forced out of the U.S. Senate by his fellow Democrats a year ago, Franken seems to refuse to accept responsibility for his actions,” said Brian McClung, a Republican strategist who was spokesman for former GOP Gov. Tim Pawlenty. “Eight women accused him of sexual harassment. While people deserve second chances and the opportunity to redeem themselves, Franken has a long, long way to go.”

Franken’s biggest problem is that there was actual photographic evidence of some of the stuff he did.

For a bunch of the republicans who did stuff like this, while what they did was worse, there was no actual camera footage of what they did… so they could deny the claims, however implausible those denials could be.

With Franken, he did in fact do exactly what folks say he did. There’s no chance he didn’t.

Then it becomes an issue of assessing the severity of what he did… but that gets a lot murkier.

Overall, it’s too bad, because I liked Franken. I respected the fact that he was one of the few folks in Government who actually did his homework. He actually expended effort to learn about shit, so that he could better make laws governing it. While, to me, that seems like a basic requirement of the job, I can only think of a handful of folks in government who do it.

Those are “locker room” photos.

Just like the president bragging about assualting women was “locker room” talk.

Franken was just trying to pal around with the guys, his intent wasn’t assault, just to rile up the guys!

The other big problem with Franken is that for someone like Trump, his supporters are pieces of shit. So, he can be a piece of shit, and it’s fine.

Franken’s trying to appeal to non-pieces of shit.

Meanwhile…Beto apparently met with Barack Obama at the former president’s Washington DC offices, seeking advice/guidance on 2020.

Exactly. Trump could strangle a puppy during the State of the Union Address. Some of his supporters would believe he didn’t do it. Some would think the dog had it coming. The rest would believe both of those things.

Dems have limits they must observe.

I say go for it, Beto.

He’ll raise ungodly amounts of money and Dems are already pretty enthralled by him after taking on Cruz. Obama started with less.

I’m in favor of him running, very much so.

Toot toot beep beep - this bad girl is also ready to ride the Beto train.

I’d be 100% on board with Beto in 2020. He’ll have time to prep for it at least. Beto + a well chosen running mate could really energize the vote and provide some much needed hope. Excellent, eloquent speaker, young, a lot of support in Texas - just need to get the old guard on board or out of the way.

Yes, please. Retroactively undo one of the few, high-profile downsides or disappointments of the midterms and turn it into a positive that he didn’t quite get elected to the senate.

Please focus the cameras on Ted Cruz at the moment the presidential election is called for Beto. That’s a reaction shot I’d very much enjoy.