2017: Whither Democrats?

I watch Maher regularly, and he may have said something to prove a point… but you would be a fool to conclude that he is a racist in any way.

New AJC poll in the GA-06: Ossoff up 51-44.

Now…let’s tap the brakes just a sec on that whole “7-point lead!” narrative. I don’t think Jon Ossoff is up 7 points for realsies.

But here’s the encouraging stuff:

1. Based on June polls alone, Ossoff’s % is now at that magic 50% threshold. For reasons beyond the obvious, that’s important. It shows some coalescing of a lead.

2. The AJC poll found that in this Reddish/purple district, just 1/3 support Donald Trump’s policies.

3. What’s really interesting is the move that Ossoff is making now. Perhaps it’s because early voting is underway. But…that doesn’t explain this to me, really.

So what’s up?

AHCA passage happened in early May. Trump and Comey stuff happened throughout April/May. And through all that, Ossoff maintained a polling lead, albeit a very small one.

So I wonder if this is about the Paris Accords? A lot of pundits were quick to jump in and say that it was unlikely that Trump pulling out of Paris would hurt him too much…but I’m not too sure. Polling on the issue seems really lopsided in opposition to the pull-out, and Georgia has had a series of droughts over the last 5-10 years that even wealthier suburban residents have likely noticed (citations for watering the lawn? Heavens!)

At any rate, I don’t care about victory margins…too much…but it’d be cool to see Ossoff flip this seat.

Ossoff needs to win this seat to get the GOP to abandon Trump before he destroys the nation.

I’m still not thinking he’s gonna pull it off though. But this is mainly because I’d rather be pleasantly surprised.

They won’t abandon now because it’s too early. By the time they want to get off the ship, they’ll be waves washing over the gunnels.

They’ll loot the ship till the waves drown a few of them and then consider escaping.

Big win for Ralph Northam tonight to get the Democratic nomination for November’s statewide election for Governor. He and Tom Perriello had a spirited campaign.

Honestly, either guy was talented and qualified. Both would be excellent governors. I didn’t make up my mind until an hour or two before I voted today, and I ended up going with Northam because I like his experience and think it will serve the Commonwealth well in an executive position.

Also – not making this up – excited to see Justin Fairfax win the race for the Lt. Governorship nomination. I really like Fairfax, and I hope this is a launching pad for his political career, both here in Virginia and maybe…more.

On the GOP side, Ed Gillespie getting everything he wants and more from Corey Stewart, an unapologetic Trump Republican and Confederate apologist.

As Dave Wasserman from Cook Political Report just put it, there’s a new name for moderate Republican voters in Virginia: “Democrats”.

Ed Gillespie up less than 1,000 votes over a guy most would consider a joke candidate.

Not a good day for Republicans in the Commonwealth.

That Stewart is doing so well here is actually pointing to a disturbing thing for Virginia Republicans: they’ve lost a lot of base to the other side of the aisle.

If you’re a Republican in the House or Senate, this should give you worry lines. Deep ones.

I have so many likes queued up for these recents posts, TC

(Let’s hope that Tom makes the right decision and doesn’t act like, you know, a villian)

I like Perriello and by no means do I think his political career is done. I hope he takes another run at a congressional seat in 2018.

In fact, if the race between him and Northam was for congress, or the Senate, I think I would have voted for Perriello. I think his brand of insurgency works better from a legislative, rather than executive angle.

Another interesting point to consider: Northam and Jon Ossoff are both mainstream liberals. Pro-women’s health rights, anti-NRA, in favor of a laundry list of mainstream progressive ideas…

…and both are considered “centrists” now. If anyone tries to tell you the Democratic Party hasn’t shifted to the left, they’re simply misinformed and ignorant of historic trends.

Virginia: no longer a swing state.

Come join us, North Carolina, Georgia. The water’s fine!

543,000 people voted in the Virginia Democratic primary.

366,00 voted in the Virginia Republican primary.

Does that actually mean anything?

It’s a long play, but one that is likely to cause all sorts of courtroom problems for Trump, because he’s even admitted to ignoring the Emoluments Clause…but a judge is likely to not so cavalierly agree.

You know how they tried to pin all sorts of shit on Al Capone and just couldn’t make it stick…and something as dull and long-term as income tax evasion eventually took him down? This might be kind of in that ballpark.