2018 2nd RTS Tournament

Just want to make it a three-way tie huh?
There are 8 individuals that didn’t vote for the top 4 picks, so it can still really move around a bit.

Do eeet! Offword is the only game I’ve played multiplayer in… I don’t know how many years. It’s also not every day you get a chance to be curb stomped by the games creator.

Or, this is a chance to try something new! Something exciting. Something like AoE 2?

We could also not do that.

Well, this is how you get four way ties!

I feel like someone should go to bat for Starcraft here.

It is true that Starcraft is a game that, at a high level, is very “twitchy,” and demands high APM to be competitive. I agree that a game like that goes against the spirit of the tournament.

BUT.

I’m assuming that most of us here are not high-level Starcraft players. Even though the “APM ceiling” is high, I don’t think most of us are near that level. As long as one of us isn’t a ringer, I think it would be more or less evenly matched.

Someone above mentioned that Starcraft 2 has a bunch of improvements that make it easier for anyone to play. I would actually argue in the other direction, that Starcraft 1 is clunky enough with its 12-unit selection and single-building selection that it might actually level the playing field even more.

I’ve said my piece, I’ll shut up about Starcraft from now on. Thanks!

Let’s see how this tournament goes.

I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have strong memories of Brood War is ready to go back to 12-unit selection limits, or Dragoon path finding. Putting all your units in a single control group and attack moving the enemy base is a valid attack strategy in Starcraft 2 (at least Wings of Liberty) and anyone can do that.

And we have a two way tie. We might do a run off (one vote only) on the top three on Saturday.

If anyone is interested, we are organizing a Comp Stomp this Monday at 9:30 EST. I think the game in question will be Dawn of War.

9:30 aka 21:30? AM or PM? I’m assuming PM? I’d be up for some Dawn of War. I prefer 2 because it looks and sounds better, but 1 is still ok. And it gave the world Dawn of Awesome.

I enjoyed that.
Yes, at 21:30.

This evening (9:00 PM EST) I will lock the voting. If we don’t have a clear victory, I’m going to set up a runoff with the top three candidates (or more if there is a tie) that will go until Wednesday.

For Dawn of War, which games? DoW 2 Retribution? DoW 1 Soulstorm?

Actually we are trying to get a game going tonight. Soulstorm, unless people join us with more limited versions of the game.

Do you need all installed to get all the races, or does soulstorm include everything?

I think all need to be installed.

Looks like we might go with AoE2 this time, but we are still talking about it on Discord

I’m getting the youngest to bed right now, so probably won’t be able to join in.

Me too.

Ewww.

-Tom